Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Do you read the Obits from your home town?

Okay, I admit it, I frequently log onto the old home town newspaper to read the obits and see who has bit the dust before me. There's a certain satisfaction in knowing I've outlived some people although it's still a sad event that they've passed, there's sadness in seeing some of the people I knew or knew of in growing up and who I respected pass on for various reasons, and there's also just keeping track of where people I went to school with have ended up moving to, which you learn from reading their parents/siblings obits. Morbid perhaps a bit, but it's always full of news I find enlightening. One thing I've seen is that many of the people I grew up with have had serious bouts of cancer, as did I, and I'm one of the luckier ones.

Anyways, when I checked yesterday (Sunday is always a good day to check in) I got a sort of Monty Python'esque response I just had to share:

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Funeral Homes have confirmed that there are no obituaries to appear in todayís Lethbridge Herald.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
The funeral homes response

We're sorry to report that no one has passed!?!?!?

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Years ago I worked in the manufacturing side of a Hospital was my job on Sundays to read the paper and check for the passing away of current patients...seems the paper knew before we did. More than once we would send a bunch of custom blended stuff to the floor on the weekends and get them back on Tuesday with the note "Deceased" on them

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Obits..... hummmmmm

As an avid amateur genealogist I do look at obits, but only ones from 50 years ago or more... always find out interesting stuff, sometimes you find skeletons in the closet!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California

If you want to visit the nearby cemetery, you might find a lot of geneology, blood lines, a veritable display of generations of individuals and their descendants..interesting to see especially when one spouse passes on then has children and grandchildren, added new husbands, and the beat goes on..I read somewhere that there are actually contests to find things buried "treasure' in cemeteries..boy it must be getting close to Halloween..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I check daily for the obits in the Grand Island, Nebraska Independent. I raised my family there and in the twenty-three years I spent there as a pastor I made hundreds of friends. Since my kids are very busy people I donít hear much from them and canít rely on them to let me know when an old friend dies.
Occasionally an obituary catches my attention for off-beat reasons. Last year my Boise paper ran an obituary that was a keeper. The first paragraph follows (name changed out of respect)

On Monday, June 6th, 2005 our beloved wife, daughter, and sister, Jane Doe, passed on to an eternity of joy and happiness in Heaven. Visitation will be held from 4 until 6 p.m. Monday . . .
Iíd love to make that visit!!!

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona

I just check them to see if I'm listed!!
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I check to see if my ex-wife is listed...
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Originally Posted by overlander63
I check to see if my ex-wife is listed...
Hi Terry,

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote