Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Do you or someone you know use EPIPEN? read this.

So I got to wondering, with all the news on the Epipen, what was the shelve life of this product in the real world.

It appears the manf has put 12 months on the life of a pen. I remember reading an article where the army did a study on "expired" drugs several years ago as a way to help control cost at VA and other government places.

They determined the in some cases the drugs were still effective some 2 yr after the manf expired date.

I got the some interest in the epipen and again it all about the date. Canada did a study and published results in 2000 after testing pens that were over 4 yrs old determining the effective drug load was 70% of new.

at the start of the article link to here is a story about a college student that died do to a severe nut allergy and an expired epipen being told by the 911 dispatcher NOT to use it cause it was 2 month expired..

using the "expired" pen may have saved his life.

https://www.verywell.com/expired-epi...hareurlbuttons

lets spread the word expired pens are still OK to use if that is all you have. It could save your or someone else life.

To me this bodes of why in the US the average cost of a hospital stay is 4K and in France it less than 800 dollars. The difference in European medical system and US is stark and needs to change.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Yes I use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV….SO...

Don't listen to me…..but Ask your Doctor. This was passed on to me as a cheaper alternative

Check out this link

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs...n-alternative/
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Five years ago two bee stings sent me into unconscious anaphylactic shock and I had to taken to the hospital in ambulance. The ems tech gave me a Benadryl injection. The hospital gave me a shot of epinephrine. It did the job.

I am on medicare, so coupons from Mylan are not valid. I have a high deductible supplemental policy, so price effects me. Epinephrine is not a stable chemical, if stored improperly. Epipens are pretty effective for many months past their expiration date, if stored properly. I carry mine in an insulated cooler pouch. I carry Benadryl for immediate use. If only I only get one bee sting, a couple Benadryl are good enough. Chew the pills for more quick action. Get help and get to a hospital parking lot and wait for it to pass. If bad, go into emergancy enterance and get a epinephrine shot.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Yes on the pen I got sting 12 times by wasps (yellow jackets) last year so I carry one with me. And yes it's exp. about $500 after insurerence.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Do you or someone you know use EPIPEN? read this.

I carry an Epi-Pen and with each Set of two I receive they always expires one year from the date I receive them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote