Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
New England , Ontario
Do you give your pet exercise?

I have a pet and he loves playing in the pool. Its good in many ways since swimming has many health benefits. It is known to provide him stimulation,cardiovascular exercise and entertainment and thus very beneficial. But I restrict his time to avoid too much exposure to chlorine and such treating/sanitizing chemicals. Check this article on harmful effects of chemicals http://www.soldapools.com/blog/safet...icals-harmful/ . Another interesting brain exercise for dogs is watching TV. I happened to read that flipping on the channel while we are out would keep our pet stimulated, entertained and relaxed. Further ideas are all appreciated.
EdwardCharet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our two English Labradors love to walk. We walk them about four miles a day. They rest up a bit after and then in the afternoon we take them out to play, all play is also training of some sort.

I've trained them as Certified Therapy Dogs, so, three afternoons a week we take them to nursing homes, schools etc. They can only do about an hour before they are exhausted, they know what they are doing and it tires them quickly.

One of them loves golf on TV and Hockey. The other does not seem to care at all, but will perk up when an animal is on and makes a noise.

They both love to travel and go with us everyplace.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Physical and mental exercise is mandatory- particularly in our herding breeds.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
My 17lb shih tzu, Izzy walks me. I'm the one wearing the collar. That dog has me wrapped around her little dewclaw. Animals give us so many benefits, exercise, lower stress levels, and most of all unconditional love...or is it? I wonder if she loves the treats, or me?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Other border collie owners will relate, I'm sure, but the shoe is really on the other foot. Border collies require a certain amount of play/exercise every day. So do old men, but border collies are more persistent about it than we are. She is good about playing the guilt card, by dropping her frisbee on my feet, trying to herd me toward the door, etc. Guilt because she is trying to get me to play with her when I'd really rather read my newspaper and drink my coffee, and guilt because I know she is trying, albeit unknowingly, to get me to do the best thing for myself. Her actual exercise involves tugging, running, swimming, fetching, playing keep away, herding, and digging. My exercise involves trying to keep up with her as she does these things. I'm not sure what she does to exercise her brain, not watch TV, but from close observation I'm sure something pretty active is going on in there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Physical and mental exercise is mandatory- particularly in our herding breeds.
Absolutely! I second this! I couldn't imagine what (or who) my Rough Collie would become without it lol.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
New England , Ontario
There are some fun ways too like following your dog or running with your dog. This is kind of multitasking. Another is high energy activity Flyball.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Other border collie owners will relate, I'm sure, but the shoe is really on the other foot. Border collies require a certain amount of play/exercise every day. So do old men, but border collies are more persistent about it than we are. She is good about playing the guilt card, by dropping her frisbee on my feet, trying to herd me toward the door, etc. Guilt because she is trying to get me to play with her when I'd really rather read my newspaper and drink my coffee, and guilt because I know she is trying, albeit unknowingly, to get me to do the best thing for myself. Her actual exercise involves tugging, running, swimming, fetching, playing keep away, herding, and digging. My exercise involves trying to keep up with her as she does these things. I'm not sure what she does to exercise her brain, not watch TV, but from close observation I'm sure something pretty active is going on in there.
I resemble that remark
Old 12-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kansas City , Kansas
Do you give your pet exercise?

We have a couple Siberian Huskies and typically walk or run a few miles each day. Occasionally we go on longer hikes. Mowgli will play fetch in the back yard (or in the house if you let him!) and of course they run around and play together. But overall they seem to be quite chilled out for Huskies.

They definitely get us outside and active, even in the dead of winter with negative wind chills. I think there's a lot still to learn about life from dogs. Or any other animal really.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9640.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	751.6 KB
ID:	277052
Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used to. But he's 16 now. He sleeps 22 hours a day now. Seems happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	277053  
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
New England , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I used to. But he's 16 now. He sleeps 22 hours a day now. Seems happy.
I understand he is very old for exercise but experts say swimming is the ideal form for exercise for dogs of all ages. For seniors it is suitable simply because it is low-impact and easy on their weakening joints and muscles. It gives them strength and is good for overall conditioning,relaxing and comforting
Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We have an app called Dog Parks that lets us locate nearby off leash parks wherever we're camping. We love to get her time to run around with other pooches. We also like to camp near trails or other hiking spots. As a Bloodhound, she just loves trotting along the trails and trying to decide who (or what) else has been there before. A third option if rain has kept us more cooped up than we planned or if we are going away from the campsite for a while is to take her to a local Camp Bow Wow or other dog sitting service where she can have some fun with other pooches and get nice and tired 😀

Those are a few exercise options for her. If we're luck enough to be at a location where she can swim (especially with other dogs) that's a bonus but we've never put her in a campground pool....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Ole Sirius (Si) the rescue dog doesn't know come here from sick em but he's a good boy and we let him decide. He has 40 acres and when we travel, he pretty much hangs by the grill hoping it's that day where the grease drips on the ground. Best one I've ever had but no exercise routine yet since he's as fit as he can be and jumps in the back of the truck a lot better than I do #X7
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote