Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Discworld, anyone?

It seems to me, after many hours enjoying the forums that this society is smart, erudite, and possessed of an infinite sense of humour, just the sort of folks who would be drawn to the humour of Terry Pratchett. I would like to ask if anyone is a fan of Sir Terry Pratchett, my favourite author and social commentator? A crowd this educated and worldly must have a few Pratchett fans kicking about. Just to let those in the fan club know, I really want to be Nanny Ogg when I grow up, my husband's fave character is that awesome ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION, Death ( I love him too).
Who is your favourite character? There is one for everyone, although I think Terry has each and every one as a part of him.
I was shocked and appalled at the fact that Terry has Alzheimer's, but he says his new meds really help.
The books are laugh-out-loud funny, I wish I could remember all the bits I want to. Any other fans out there?
Leonie

flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looks like fun. I will check them out.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I was always partial to The Luggage. Not so much for brilliant repartee as for the occasional surprise it would spring on a scene. It could be argued that it's more of a plot device than a proper character, I suppose, but if he can write about walking luggage I can consider it a character.

I haven't read any of his work in a long while, though.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Plano , Texas
You brought me out of lurking mode for this one! Both my husband and I are huge Pratchett fans. We have every discworld book and several other Pratchett books. Our nephew turned us on to him and we've just ate them all up. They are laugh out loud funny and good to read over and over again. I don't know that I could pick a favorite character. I like to read the books in groups (Rincewind, Witches, Tiffany Aching, Death, The Watch) but really love them all.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I just finished watching the Christmas classic, "The HogsFather". Great fun!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
You'll appreciate this mutant vehicle, chased down and photographed at Burning Man last year.

Yup, it's turtles all the way down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscWorld_P1100188.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	149647
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Hah, knew it!

I am thrilled that there are some Pratchett fans out in airforum land. I love the luggage too, OMG I love them all, but you gotta love a randy witch that sings "You can't *#$& a hedghog", drinks banananananana dakris and a drink that is made with apples, well MOSTLY apples, has epic baths, makes her daughter-in-laws do all the work and has a cat like Greebo. Everything Nanny Ogg does is so uninhibited and true to just herself.
I am also very fond of the Nac Mac Feegles, being a Scot myself, came over in '69. I totally get the 'drinkin', stealin', and fightin'-not necessarily in that order', crivens! And the Wizards, dried frog anyone? Ptraci? You Bastard, the greatest mathematician who is also a camel? Ridcully? Nobby? COHEN the barbarian? Lhu Tse?
I always wanted to post a sign on my driveway that said " Axiom Testing Facility, Caution Unresolved postulates!" Brilliant.
This must all be gibberish for anyone that has not had a Discworld experience. I also have all of his books and found it curious that you never saw any in used book stores-being one of the worlds best-selling authors and all- until I realized that once you had a Pratchett book you would NEVER give it up, nor would you loan it to anyone, unless they exchanged a first-born child or their corvette or something, as collateral.
Great Discworld vehicle, yup, it is turtles all the way down.
Cheers
Leonie
Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
There's three movies now. Gotta watch Hogsfather in order to understand The Color of Majic in order to understand Hogsfather.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
There's three movies now. Gotta watch Hogsfather in order to understand The Color of Majic in order to understand Hogsfather.
No, nope, nyet, nein, nah, nah, nah, -don't watch the movies, read the books. The movies are NEVER as good as the books because you are experiencing them through someone else's filter. They leave so much that is hilarious out. There is nothing as fun as pestering your loving spouse by reading a hilarious bit to him that is so funny or profound that you can't keep it to yourself.
Preferably when he/she is just falling asleep.
Leonie
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
OOK!

Seems like we have all met these characters somewhere else! I have never read another author who will spend 3/4+ of the book getting to the punch line of a bad joke - One Man Bucket.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote