Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by scottanlily
this business of (page cannot be displayed is really irritating) causing photo upload problems ,sorry for that are the last couple I hope

I think the question you were asked is how you planned on maintaining your hitch? I didn't see any zirc fittings dor a means to inspect for pin wear. I would certainly mark the location of the round bar now and keep track of how much it drops. How hard was the new pin. I would think that after welding it in place you might have taken the temper out of it.

Barry2952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Barry ,the steel tabs , not pins anymore ,are mild steel .they just retain the bar 3/4 inch wide in the bar groove as opposed to the 1/8 " that
the pin held the bar,I saw your pics of the pins and looked at mine ,1/8" only
in width held the bar in and your photo clearly showed hardley any penetration into the groove .mine indexed about 3/16 only .Not much at all .
So now there is a full 1/4 index and 3/4 wide has a curvature to fit the round
bar diameter ,I fiited them before install to the bar groove to get the maximum close fit and not bind in the groove.the ez-lift hitch I had before
has this same design exactly .The proper way to maintain the hitch bars is
to lubricate the sockets and bars including sway control ball ,on hitch and tongue.I use trailer hitch ball /socket grease called hitch lube ,available at
Rv stores .The zerk grease gun method does work ,I just apply it before installing the bars and sway control and a dab on the ball also.This way the lubricant is applied all around the bars and sockets .A simple and most effective way of doing it.I would not rely on the grease gun getting the grease all around the circumference of the bars ,it will go in and up and out and down ,not all the way around .The round bars can be checked each time you remove them for wear ,you will find the wear as in your bars ,not lubed
had gouging on the tension side at the front of the socket,that is where the bars will always wear as the high tension when loaded is right there.also those pins are not designed for load ,just to hold the bars from dropping out.
I have little bar wear or groove wear at all ,the groove now has a full 3/4 width of engagement so I won't have any trouble .always inspecting for wear always should be done each hitch up and un hitching procedure.your experience proved to me that that pin setup is a weak design capable of failure even when new and isn't safe ,somthing I wont have to worry about anymore.Once the bars are under tension the force upward lifting the vehical
in the rear ,the bars are loading in the sockets ,not the pins or steel tabs.
The bar can only drop out when it looses tension and the round pins fail to
secure the bar properly.never heard of bars falling out of any hitch before now .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote