Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You will note that I contributed to the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
... so how has the forums evolved...
What is your point?

Most people do not recognize the names involved as to whether the individual was good, bad or indifferent.

What is everyone supposed to glean from this thread?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I started reading a thread the other day posted by boatdoc about some guys in California desecrating an American flag. I'm assuming it was posted in the off topic forum where anything goes. It was a good thread, right to the end where the last person went on some tirade about it having "what?" to do with airstreams.

When I went to reply, I could not. Apparently the thread had been locked. When I got home from work and tried to find it, it was gone.

OK, it may have nothing to do with Airstreams but it was a thread of substance. But then I saw at least three threads about silly word games. What does Airstream - Squarestream - Moonbeam - Brightgleam etc. have to do with Airstreams other than rhymes? They have no substance. But I didn't raise a fuss about them. I simply skipped them.

I think boatdoc's thread should have stayed. Or if it's going to be banished, then get rid of the word games. Neither of them have any substance related to travel trailers.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
What is everyone supposed to glean from this thread?Tom
exactly.

so perhaps your question is rhetorical...

because the names, individual and judgements of 'good, bad or indifferent' are far removed...

we can focus on glean*ing the kernels of wisdom and forum truths left behind.

the nature of disappearing threads, content that does/doesn't belong here, propose of the forums, and so on...

this that and more, but only for those willing to follow after the reapers...

and find.

* Glean

1.To gather (grain) left behind by reapers.

2.To collect bit by bit: “records from which historians glean their knowledge” (Kemp Malone).

3.The corners of fields were not to be reaped, and the sheaf accidentally left behind was not to be fetched away, according to the law of Moses (Lev. 19:9; 23:22; Deut. 24:21). They were to be left for the poor to glean. Similar laws were given regarding vineyards and olive yards. (Comp. Ruth 2:2.)

“And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers.” --Ruth ii. 3.

“Piecemeal they this acre first, then that; Glean on, and gather up the whole estate”. --Pope.

“Content to glean what we can from . . . experiments.”--Locke.

“To glean the broken ears after the man That the main harvest reaps.” --Shak.

A Treatise of Human Nature, by David Hume (introduction)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #24
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Weird thread, but a good read.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We learn that it always isn't what you say but how you say it, but sometimes its not how you say it but what you've said. Sometimes we are left to inquire, while often times we are offered far too much information. Unbeknownst to some their posts speak volumes that might be best not to be published. I don't know, but if threads are gone, maybe I would conclude that those hot button subjects aren't working out real well here on the forum.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
OK, it may have nothing to do with Airstreams but it was a thread of substance. But then I saw at least three threads about silly word games. What does Airstream - Squarestream - Moonbeam - Brightgleam etc. have to do with Airstreams other than rhymes? They have no substance. But I didn't raise a fuss about them. I simply skipped them.
I agree why does the forum have multiple word games going? The weather is nice, go Airstreaming and tell us about the cool new place you went.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #27
Bustersmith

2008 25' International CCD
Reston , Virginia
"Glean" what a great verb!

Thank 2 AIR. Great post. I think the Forum works rather well. The Mods do a good job pruning in my estimation. There is something about email and web sites that allow people to forget themselves at times and say stupid things to others that they would never say face to face. I agree that sometimes the Moderators cut short, remove a thread that I'd rather they let continue. But the end result on this site is a semi organized field of knowlege sharing rather than a jungle.
Bustersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrmikey
I agree why does the forum have multiple word games going? The weather is nice, go Airstreaming and tell us about the cool new place you went.
Two of the current four word games were started when the weather was bad, and there was nothing much you could do with your Airstream. They seem to have taken on a life of their own, and are not rude, crude, vulgar, nor do any of the posts attack anyone personally or professionally. Given the choice between those four threads and one thread about axles, I'll gladly take the word games. The people posting there can post without worry of reprisal from the other posters, and we have several people that started posting in those threads that now are active members in other threads. They likely wouldn't have had the courage to start posting about other subjects if they hadn't gotten their feet wet in those threads.
Now that the weather has started getting nicer (although they are still having snow up North, and severe storms in the south as I write this), I expect those threads to taper off. They will probably pick up again this fall when the weather goes downhill, and people still want to participate here, but have nothing constructive to add.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, I know that some threads have disappeared, but I have a great deal of confidence in the moderators: They're not bad people trying to censor. When a thread disappears, it's for a reason, and, in my experience, a pretty good one.

Lynn
Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
So here's my deal. My post is removed. The thread I posted to is removed. My notification that the thread has been responded to...that post is removed and I am told it is under review. I start a new thread after no answer in pms. That thread is removed.

Now nothing I have said is objectionable or warrants a warning but someone somewhere here doesn't like my point of view or someone elses. No explanations just ...POOF... it is happening more and more here.

Opinions? Clarifications? There are no jusifications. Anybody?

photography
Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Carol, you were responded to before this preceeding post. I PM'ed you already and you will hear from me before my night is over. I walked into this mess about 25 minutes ago and want to attend to the other matters related to it. Please stand by. Censorship of you or any other posters in the deleted (I believe temporarily) thread is not an issue.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #32
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Carol, I started the thread in question. I have asked that it be removed. The staff will contact you "when the smoke clears" with an explanation. Please except my personal apolologies for any confusion this has created.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Heck I have posts disappear all the time, as you are aware Carol. I figure My little warning meter will explode one of these days, but nothing is ever on it, my posts just disappear. I don't understand why we can't discuss what we want on the Off Topic sub forum as long as we don't result to personal attacks, vulgarity, etc. and calmy debate our positions like well behaved, educated adults. But alas that is not to be, apparently, which begs the question what is the Off Topic sub forum for? I have disagreed w/ Carol and others on some issues but I hold no personal ill will or grudges towards her or anyone else, how boring would it be if no one disagreed. Heck Carol seems like a very nice person, misguided, but very nice( that was a little jokie joke Carol). I hope I didn't just get in trouble again. I have other interests besides my AS camper but it's nice conversing with people of similar interests about a wide range of topics, some that we might disagree on. I mean I like crinkle cut fries and some may like shoestring fries. Later.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
oh my gosh, multiple thread controversies & I missed out?

it's interesting to me that, of the original handful of posters, at least 2 no longer appear to be members.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hey Mossy, I agree that's what makes the horse races worth running. We'll have to hoist a few at Topsails and persue the issue of who is in need of guidance a bit further.

As to threads and posts created in disappearing text in wonderland...I can only grin like the cheshire cat and say “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”

photography
Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hey Mossy, I agree that's what makes the horse races worth running. We'll have to hoist a few at Topsails and persue the issue of who is in need of guidance a bit further.

As to threads and posts created in disappearing text in wonderland...I can only grin like the cheshire cat and say “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
Deal.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote