Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Question Directv DSL

I've been looking into Directv's DSL and I've found out the following:

You have to buy an upgrade kit for $580 (new dish, receiver & other electronic goodies)

Monthly service is $60

Question: does anyone out there know of any better deals or cheaper upgrade kits?

Where I'm going to be staying doesn't have phone service available at the site, so I'll be either checking emails at the library or using the parks computer.

In saying that, I won't be as active here, if at all, so if you're grown tired of my post-just don't respond with a better deal and you won't have to deal with me all summer

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I thought Direct tv was discontinuing their internet service??

only other option I can think of is to use a cellular connection.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Re: Directv DSL

[QUOTE
Where I'm going to be staying doesn't have phone service available at the site, so I'll be either checking emails at the library or using the parks computer.

Any chance the site has cable TV? If so, maybe the cable company offers cable internet access.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

No cable

There's no cable available either.

I called Directv's DSL dept last night and they seemed willing to sign me up, but they may indeed be planning to discontinue this service in the future.

Who really can trust corp America this days?

John
Old 01-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Sounds like Chuck's suggestion is the best then. There are some great inexpensive cellular plans out there that include free nights and weekends. All you would need is a cellular modem.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

DirecTV DSL

There appears to be changes in the works that will make satellite internet access more accessible to RV owners. I have a TracVision L3 antenna which is TracNet ready. The current problem is that the additional hardware required is expensive. The following reply to my request to KVH seems to indicate (wishful thinking?) that a K-u band satellite feed is planned which will bring down the hardware cost. In the meantime I carry a cable modem in addition to the dial-up modem in my on-board network server.
"As far as your request for Direct PC is where things do get complicated. The satellite used for Direct PC in the US comes off of a C-band satellite. The is why the direct pc dish is 32" by 26" oval. This also means that dish can not be any smaller until they move there feeds to a Ku-band satellite. Also the FCC will not allow 2 way transmission between satellites for in-motions systems. So we compromised by taking the data from another satellite that will work with 18" dishes. But to accomplish this you have to have a way of dialing into an internet uplink. This is where our TracNet system comes in. It controls the antenna unit to move between the tv and data satellites, Finds the best way for the uplink via 3 onboard modem types, as well as acting as the server and router for you onboard LAN. So to get the internet with our system while in motion or stationary you will need our tracnet system with the L3."
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Cell service

Since I've been out of the cell phone world for 3 yrs now and not familiar with current deals/opitions, I decide to looked into AT&T, Verizon and Sprint PCS.

It seems like the area in which I'm spending the summer at is out of their covered calling areas.

Any other suggestions?

John
Old 01-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

drop-dead date Jan 31

Chuck,

You're right about Directv dropping there DSL service. I found an news clip saying that the "drop-dead date is Jan.31".

This is amazing to me how a company who's going to discontinue a service in a matter of 2 weeks, would still sell the product to unknowning customers. You buy their $580 "up-grade kit" and then you're stuck with it and out of the money.

I love Corp America!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the heads-up-John
Old 01-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Cell service

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Since I've been out of the cell phone world for 3 yrs now and not familiar with current deals/opitions, I decide to looked into AT&T, Verizon and Sprint PCS.

It seems like the area in which I'm spending the summer at is out of their covered calling areas.

Any other suggestions?

John
John, before I saw this post, I did a write-up of what I THINK I know about Verizon data over cellular. It got long and didn't have a lot to do with this thread subject, so I started a new one in the OT forum called Data over Cellular. Might be worth readin' anyway.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john

laptop or desktop?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

John,

Laptop.

John
Old 01-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
floppies

john

you could prepare your posts in word, then place them on floppies. go to the library, then copy and paste to your hearts delight.

or you could get an isp with a cheap 800 number (no charge backs) and post from a phone booth.

or

when you say you are out of cell range are you really? there are things that can be done with old analog 5 watt phones and good antennas. you could be in range and not know it because you lack a good antenna!

john
Old 01-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

John,

Those are all good thoughts!

I was looking into getting a cell phone where I had nights and weekends free, so I could enjoy the comforts of surfing at home(trailer ).

But I'm a frugal guy and I'll stick with the library. You usually get an hour per day, which is more than I'll need to send and receive emails.

I'll just have to go through my "forum posting withdrawals" and just read them to keep up with whats going on.

I use a calling card to keep in contact with my daughter & folks a few times a week. Other than that, I really don't need the technology.

Oh yea, I have Directv because I'm too remote to pick-up local stations.

John
Old 01-17-2003, 06:05 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ham?

hey, any of you ham radio guys into data transmission yet?

john
Old 01-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Ham

John,

At one time I was looking into Ham radios, but I didn't know if I could erect the antenna in a campground or if I'd cause bleed-over on peoples TV's or Radio's.

John
Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
not that big

john

i was thinking along the lines of 900meg stuff, same as cell phones. small antennas, unlike what one would think with "low band" radio.

any of you techno geeks can jump in any time!!!

john
Old 01-17-2003, 06:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Question Help

Yea-I'd love to here from those who know!

John