Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Diesel Engines Burning Gasoline

Hey Y'all,

I ran across this interesting article today which discusses the hows and whys of a mechanical engineering combustion research project to modify an diesel engine to combust low octane gas to reduce emissions.

Sounds like it would make a darn good engine for a tow vehicle. Maybe we'll see these in our TVs in a few years?

Making Diesel Engines Burn Gasoline | Autopia | Wired.com

Enjoy!

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Interesting article and concerpt.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This sounds like the next step beyond HCCI. You should start seeing HCCI in the next few years as we approach the 2016 CAFE regulations take place.
29 years ago, when I was in tech school, I asked my advanced engines professor why we can't do this. He explained it is technically, mechanically, and chemically impossible. Haven't we come a long way since then!?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
When I was in the Army [way back when],our semi tractors would run on almost anything,diesel,gas,jp4 helicopter fuel,and avgas airplane fuel,doesn`t look like we have came very far in 40 years.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Many smaller sailboats used the two cylinder Albin gas engine with carburetor modifications to run on diesel fuel so that they don't have gasoline on board. They have a second fuel tank with alcohol to run their cooking stove, so run a line from that tank to a valve they can switch from alcohol to diesel for the engine. The engine is started on alcohol then switched over to diesel after getting warm. Before shutting down, the fuel valve is switched back so that the carburetor is filled alcohol for the next start.

Woe be unto the guy who forgets to switch back to alcohol, as the engine will not start cold on diesel.

Just a little info from an old boat guy.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
When I was in the Army [way back when],our semi tractors would run on almost anything,diesel,gas,jp4 helicopter fuel,and avgas airplane fuel,doesn`t look like we have came very far in 40 years.Dave
Yes, but the military doen't have to comply with CAFE and EPA. Just "burn and go!" And rightfully so.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Gas & Diesel

In the 1970's, I saw an ancient bulldozer that would run on either. One side of the engine had injectors, the other side an intake manifold. I never understood how that could have worked. I was told at the time that in really cold climates, you would start it on gas, then switch over to diesel once it was running good.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Multi fuel

Two of my old farm tractors are set up for multi fuel. You start it on gasoline, then switch it to a fuel much like todays kerosene. You had to adjust the exhaust manifold and wait for the engine temp to increase before it would run on the distilate.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Two of my old farm tractors are set up for multi fuel. You start it on gasoline, then switch it to a fuel much like todays kerosene. You had to adjust the exhaust manifold and wait for the engine temp to increase before it would run on the distilate.

My dad had one of these when I was a kid. It was my job to cultivate corn with it. We hand crank started it on gas, ran it till it was warm and switched it over to diesel, and then switched it back to gas and let it run a while before shutting it off. It was a Farmall F12 or a Regular. I can't remember which. I know I hated them both.

I remember it had lots more power running on the diesel.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Cummins Westport NG

I believe what Cummins Westport are doing is basically what you discribe. They convert the Cummins diesels to spark ignition and electronic injection, and run them on clean natural gas.
Available worldwide now.

www.cumminswestport.com
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Sounds like they still have a lot of problems to solve. The fuel injection timing for one. It's going to reguire a very complex computer control system to get this thing to run under all conditions. Then there is the fuel issue. They are not using pump gas but their own blend. There would have to be an industry wide commiment to get these engines out on the market. I wouldn't expect to see this on the market any time soon.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #12

Thunder Bay , Ontario
diesel/gas

My father had a 2 cylinder AR John Deere that would start on gas, run on just about anything that would remotely burn IE diesel / motor oil mix if thats what was lying around, hand flywheel start with compression releases, BUT it would haul 3 or 4 hay wagons the size of 5 ton truck when running on diesel, it was real interesting getting them to stop considering the brakes were only on the rear tractor tires!!
doneuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
The wife and I recently attended the Oregon State Fair where we saw an amazing collection of restored farm and mining equipment. They even has an old restored steam engine running. Very cool stuff.

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote