Old 11-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Did I hear that correctly?

Hi, folks,

On the program "RV Craze" on the Travel Channel, there was a peice on the "Tin Can Tourists" group that mentioned the origin of the group's name (which was a tin can welded to the radiatior cap on the old models).

The quote I noted was "Later on, we admited motorhomes and even Airstreams."

Uh. Did I hear that right?

Thanks,

Lamar

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor

The quote I noted was "Later on, we admited motorhomes and even Airstreams."

Uh. Did I hear that right?

Thanks,

Lamar
Yup, just goes to show they'll admit anyone in that club, if they'll admit Airstreams...

Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
- Graucho Marx

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

tin can trash

actually the tin can welded or soldered to the radiator cap seems a bit of a glory story! my understanding was that whenever they left an area there was a pile of tin cans on the ground, something none of us would do today. anyway thats how i read it so lets not kill the messinger. roger
Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
gee, and i thought tin can tourists were newly weds....go figure.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
more lore

i had the chance to meet a long time member of TCT. he told me that the name came from the tin cans that were hung just above the road off the rear bumper of the trailer.

the idea was to signal the driver when a tire was going flat. supposedly you could hear the can dragging on the road just before the rim hit the pavement.

john
Old 11-25-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Exclamation Tin Can Tourists

FYI ...

Tin Can Tourists formally organized a little while ago ... like in 1919 at Desoto Park in Tampa.

Not far from where Terry (Overlander63) lives today. Terry organized the most recent Airstream Forum Rally in September 2005 that gathered at Fort Desoto.

The original recognition emblem of the T.C.T. was a tin can soldered to the radiator cap of a member’s car. The goal of this group, and still is, ‘to unite fraternally all auto campers’. Their guiding principles are clean camps, friendliness among campers, decent behavior and to secure plenty of clean, wholesome entertainment for those in the camps.

To quote a Tampa historian, Karl Grimmer, “During prohibition something poured into Tampa (1919-20) almost faster than illegal whiskey. They were TCT riding a wave of what was to become Florida’s swelling prosperity. the winter of 1919 – 1920 caravans of tourists who earned their money partly from canned meals they carried with them swarmed into Florida”

In 1921, Desoto Park became the Tin Can Tourist’s Mecca. 723 camps with 1,841 persons.
On January 7, 1921 announced membership was over 17,000.
By 1928 – 29 the ‘white-pants-Willies’ were beginning to take over the club and dropped the old soup can on the radiator cap in favor of a fancy new Diamond-Shaped radiator emblem.
By 1949 membership numbered 80,000. By 1963 100,000.

For further information, or to join and receive a full interesting chronology, go to: http://www.tincantourists.com .............................. Airstream are welcome!

Note: some of this information is paraphrased and extracted from “Tin Can Tourists Chronology”
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
FYI ...

Their guiding principles are clean camps, friendliness among campers, decent behavior and to secure plenty of clean, wholesome entertainment for those in the camps.

special treatment was given to accordian players playing lady of spain i adore you.....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I read somewhere that 'tin can tourists' was a derogatory remark by locals referring to the fact that these campers came equipped with their own food and supplies and so didn't bring any money into the local economy when they showed up.

It's funny how many different storys get applied to explain a name like that.

Seems like the tin can flat tire detector might be a good idea. Reminds me of the curb feelers I had on my first car

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
When you go to the link for tin can tourist, be prepared to laugh out loud! Even admit Airstreams, huh? What a GREAT joke!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
I read this one with relish. I love a good history story. Interesting stuff. Now you have my curiosity up and I am certain that someone here can answer why Airstream owners are so admired (I am being facetious ).

Example, I went to one of my states dealers, asked the guy behind the parts counter for some lighting parts and some trim. He said he would research and get back. I waited a couple days, he said he was still working on it. I waited a week, same story. I waited two weeks same.. I went in bought some stuff off the rack and waited 45 minutes cause suddenly the computer system went down. They asked me if I could go somewhere else for a while, apparently they could not finish the transaction even with cash. I offered them more money (whole bills over the amount - no change) if I could just take the parts and leave, no dice. I walked out.

I went in last week to get a roll of putty tape, talked to the cashier about my experiences and said I wanted to speak with the owner, she disappeared and the guy popped up, the one I asked 3 months ago for the parts and he told me they were all available off the shelf, that they were common parts. I felt like saying something provocative but just smiled and thanked him.

I have had similar experiences at other places. What's the story behind this. Are they as colorful and interesting as the tin can peoples stories ?

This reaction is proportionately the opposite when I have talked with those (even in the "regular" RV business) that have worked on or know someone with an Airstream. Is this one of those proverbial "you had to been there" to understand the reason or a case of "once you get to know em, they are really not that bad".

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote