Old 04-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Wildflower reports

Log on to Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center to see the current wildflower report sightings or post a report.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
We came down 71 between Austin and Interstate 10 Sunday. The Bluebonnets were blanketing the highway.

As we past many, many cars pulled on the side of the road, I said to the wife..."Look at those poor men" She looked at me funny. I pointed and said "They should be home watching sports or fishing and instead are having to take pictures of the wife and kids in those stupid flowers." She promptly hit me.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Silver Suz

This is our garden - just at the beginning of the growing season. We have since put in flag stone for a patio and some of the paths are done too - have a lot more to go. Have 10 years to get it just right for retirement. We were away when the garden was in full bloom so I must remember this year to take a few shots. Have hundreds of close ups.

Thank God Peter just likes a bit of baseball and the Leafs - or we would get nothing done around here! - I have the visions and poor Peter has to make them come true - well at least get the trees and massive rocks out of the way, dig the holes, bring in the soil, the mulch and the horse poop - I do all the planting, feeding watering and fussing once their in - Peter does the weeding (but then we don't have that many weeds) and He is obsessed with raking - leaves, debri anything - he rakes our driveway all the time so that it is just perfect!

We should have a good "land Dock" ready for late June - so you are welcome here too anytime after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden .jpg
Views:	243
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5765  
Old 04-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Frustration, indeed

Spring is arriving, albeit slowly, here in Vermont.

"April showers,
Bring more hours...in the mud."

Wouldn't you know, the "perfect" site we picked out this winter for the A/S is a swamp!

Doug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of DCP_0037.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	5767  
Old 04-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Cruiser....too funny I promise I won't give your secret away.

Looks like the lot has a lot of potential for a nice pond - need to get a backhoe though
Old 04-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Did they say where the major bluebonnet forces are located around Dallas?
My sisters live in Ellis Co.
Quote:
Don't know what do do about you, Edie! Plague???
My family and in-laws suffer with terrible allergy problems caused by the bluebonnets.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
My sisters live in Ellis Co.
My family and in-laws suffer with terrible allergy problems caused by the bluebonnets.
I very much doubt that. Bluebonnets are not a pollen-releasing plant; they are totally insect pollinated. However, right when the bluebonnets bloom, there is a long list of pollen-releasing trees blooming as well as high incidence of mold from our spring rains. April is our second-most rainy month.

For instance, today, mold is high, oak is medium, grass is low, and willow is very low. Even with fields of blooming bluebonnets, they don't even make the any of the 4 local allergy counts that I just checked.

Quote:
The types of pollen that most commonly cause allergic reactions are produced by the plain-looking plants (trees, grasses, and weeds) that do not have showy flowers.
Colorful flowers that easily attract insects have no need to emit airborne pollen; just watch the bees in a field of bluebonnets. BTW, an interesting point is that the bluebonnet blossoms start out blue with white centers. As each part of the blossom is pollinated, that center turns red. The bloom ultimately ends up blue and red before fading. That is because the pollinating insects see in infra-red and they can see white but not red. They are attracted to the white centers, but when the center turns red, it is ignored.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Haven't seen many bluebonnets but, in a similar vein, I've tried for years to convince people that goldenrod is a graceful, useful plant that is NOT causing their hayfever.

No matter. They can SEE the goldenrod when their allergies hit, ergo ...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Bluebonnets are not a pollen-releasing plant
Hmm...well, if you won't report me, I'll confess that I once stopped along the road and picked a bluebonnet. I didn't know it was illegal at the time. Anyway, my head started throbbing within a minute of getting the flower in the car. Soon, I had to discard the flower, but it still took quite a while for the headache to completely go away.

Apparently, getting the headache at the same time as picking the flower was just a coincidence. And maybe God's way of telling me, "Don't pick the flowers." See, we always knew God is a Texan.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
We have a neighbor who suffers mightily from allergies. We watch every year as two acres of wild grasses and flowers in his front yard launch pollen into the air. But he waits for the goldenrod to arrive before brush-hogging (mowing) the field ... thinking that the goldenrod is the enemy.

But as Cruiser pointed out, that's a ways off in Vermont. We still have snow in the mountains and mud in the valleys...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Pahaska, thanks for sharing all the info! We love gardening and enjoy learning about other areas of the country too. You sound way ahead of us, but then, we are way ahead of poor Sharon in Ontario. Here in mid Missouri, forsythia, red bud and pear are in full bloom with our dogwood and crab trees soon to open. The woods have just a freshening of green, but in a couple of weeks, deep shade! Sharon, your beautiful garden photo spread reminds me of our place. I have struggled for nine years here to create gardens in the middle of shade and clay soil. Somehow, we gardeners just keep digging those holes, sure that this time some sun-loving plants will find a way to grow. Enjoyed all the photos and news about the progress of spring.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
John, I'd love to hear your lectures, I've been to the Wildflower Farm in the hill country once and it's so beautiful up there . I wish our town would do something about the wildflowers. Argyle Acres is here-I don't know if you have heard of that- it's for irises, and about now is their weekend walks through all their irises.
Sharon, your gardens are really beautiful! we'd love to visit. And Georgia have you ever thought of doing raised beds with your native rocks? That way you could put in or develop good soil for planting.
I actually planted goldenrod in my garden as a tough perennial ( and not believing the allergy part. ) This was before I developed "regular allergies" and the goldenrod certainly spread. So I had to pull them up when they were seeding, to keep them from spreading too much. I inhaled a bunch of tiny seeds by mistake and went into anaphylactic shock. Luckily my younger son was home ,able to get my meds and call 911. Now they pull up any plants before they even start to flower. and sadly, I avoid them. I have a wildflower area that's carefully cultivated. I even file my bluebonnet seeds and chill them in the summer before planting. I have some nice ones in that area. I didn't know that about the color change, I'll have to watch for it! One of my favorite movies was a nat'l geo special on the ultraviolet (infrared?) paths marked on flowers for the bees! Maybe we gardeners should start our own thread! by the way, besides Lady Banks huge hedges, Zepherine Druene does the best on an east side. a pretty raspberry color. but the old centifolias, like Heritage (Aus Blush) are my favorite. I've been gardening for about 50 years and that's what I miss most is not being able to get outside to do it anymore. Gardening thread anyone? does anyone take pictures of flowers as they travel? I'd love to see them. silver suz. so many people I want to respond to- sorry
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Silver Suz

Now that is what I aspire to be able to do one day - is chirp off all the plant names. I absolutely love gardening - but have never stopped to learn what all the plants are by name - of course I know some.

When we came to this place is was just one big forest with NO gardens at all - just dense forest (damp, moldy and dark). We had 75+ trees felled (poplar- danger trees + Hemlock to build our additions with) We burn the poplar. We had most of it milled on site and will be using the poplar for roof sheathing and ceiling boards.

We have been very lucky with our gardens - where my parents live - many have the English perennial gardens. Every year my parents friends like to clean out their gardens (thin, move, trash) so we offer to do the hard work for them (most in late 60's mid 70's) and in exchange we come home with a landscape trailer full of perennials and shrubs.

We did have them marked at the end of last season - however last spring (the time our new puppy was about 6 months old) guess who systematically pulled out all the labels telling me what each plant was - YIKES.

A gardening thread would be kind of neat - I know there are hundreds of them out there - but I guess it would not be the same as it would coming to this "community" now would it

While all your flowers are blooming I am looking out the window thinking it is time to remove the leaves from all the beds. The weather is still a bit cold - but nothing has sprouted so it is a good time - Peter is an animal with the rake so I like to get it done before he decides to do me a favour

This is an invitation I made up for a Garden party last summer for all the people who provided us with plants. It was a seniors day outing - garden tours, crochet, and shuttled everyone via Stoney lake on our boat for Lunch to a local resort.

Okay so I have added the A/S - just to see what she would look like

Silver Suz - at least I now know who to send a picture to - who can tell me what certain plants/flowers/shrubs are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A/S Invitation copy.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	5788  
Old 04-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Gardening for 'Streamers

Here's a new thread you might like:

Gardening for 'Streamers