Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Give up, admit defeat tow the trailer to New Orleans and give the trailer to Jim.

Thanks Jim
Hi everyone; First, I like to thank everyone for the encouragement and your support. Second, I want to tell you Jim that you have been out voted in recommendations, but I do like your style of not wanting much at all. I bet you would give up part of your recommendation by coming to get it.
Jokes aside, your support is greatly appreciated and somehow it makes me feel better at this point. It was not a matter of biting more than I could chew, but I have come to realize that my set time frame was not realistic.
As a matter of fact, my wife Kay has been telling me all along what most of you have in this thread. It will be done when it gets done, and in order to prevent me from working late into the night I get a call from her every evening, that the dinner will be on the table in 15 minutes. She worries that if I kill myself doing this, the AS will be nothing more than a bad memory.
Therefore I had to promise her what all of you recommend. Do a little bit when I can.

I guess good things come around. Few years back I have built a tactical van for local PD as a donation. Yesterday, all off duty personnel offered to come Wednesday the 14th to help me put the inner skins on. With my shot rotator cups this will be a blessing. I have some more pics to post which I will try to do soon, and keep everyone posted on the progress. Once again I wish to thank everyone for your kind words. Thanks, "Boatdoc"

Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Boatdoc, you've come a long way in a relatively short time on your trailer, don't give up. The people that hunt for treasure say it won't be found until it wants to be found. This applies to your trailer, it will be done when it want to be done. Keep plugging away at it, and one day you will go to grab the list of stuff to do, and realise the list is empty.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
BoatDoc if I were to go and pick it up I would want mileage.

Projects fall behind, get out of control, cost to much, it is what they are about. Sweating the load takes all the fun out of it. You can relate to this, It took me 2 hours to find my 34 foot sail boat in a pile of boats at West end Marina after Katrina. I had 2 choices to walk away from the totaled boat or repair it, I decided that no hurricane was going to kick my ass, I collected the insurance and the insurance company gave the boat back to me. She is back in the water and I am slowly repairing every bit of damage I have no time line and she will be done when she is done. This is the exact time line I followed the first time I rebuilt her. You know as I do that rebuilding a Airstream trailer is nothing compared to a large boat, so relax and have fun.

Enjoy your project

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
The project will be done on the same day that you finish. Trying to meet a deadline on a project that is supposed be pleasurable, enjoyable, and relaxing only puts a big gorilla on your back, and you become a task master to yourself. Step back, smell the roses, and enjoy the day, for there is always a tomorrow. Rome was not built in a day.

Kip
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Good morning fellow members;
I believe that time has come for me to admit that that my time schedule has me tethering smack in the middle of defeated and highly challenged. .................................................. ............................................... I would like to know what would you do in if you were in my shoes. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc,
I would be so happy I had that much done you cannot believe.....
Have had ours almost 7 years. The pan and the corners are off, the floor has holes and the frame is weakened by rust. I went out, sat in it today and stripped line off reels to get ready for fishing. With 3 in braces and 3 in college there is little $ for Airstreaming. Not complaining mind you but my wife is a perfectionist too and the project she took on, me, is way behind schedule too. These guys are cheapskates, I'll give you $5 and pick it up.
R.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
The project will be done on the same day that you finish. Trying to meet a deadline on a project that is supposed be pleasurable, enjoyable, and relaxing only puts a big gorilla on your back, and you become a task master to yourself. Step back, smell the roses, and enjoy the day, for there is always a tomorrow. Rome was not built in a day.

Kip
Hi Kip; Yesterday, half of PD showed up to help. Kept the anxious to help and send the rest home. All inner skins were cleaned straighten and put up in place, all except the front lower row which I am not ready to install. This is because I need to mix and pour some 6 lbs density urethane foam into cavity between my outer SS fender well and outside skin level with the height of the fender. Above it to the first horizontal brace we will install Prodex. I expect to have all interior skins in by this weekend. We had some problems because some maniac drilled hundred or so holes around the top of the tub perimeter where the trim seals the tub to inner skin. Our PD has offered to give me one of their unused AC's for a $1.00. Very generous and great gift. My spirits were greatly uplifted by show of willing hands to help out, and many offered to come back not knowing there will be a wet sanding party of the exterior soon. Once again thank you all for your moral support on my project. "Boatdoc"
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
What a great gift. not just the work they did but the boost of spirits..........
It reminds me of the small town I grew up in, people really cared about each other. I don't often see it where people don't know each other.
IT is very nice to hear about.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Do it once! Do it right!:-)
BTW, forget the coffee! All that caffiene will do your brains in! Get some English tea bags! Tea has naturally occuring Thianine! This aids relaxation and concentration! Lol!
Marc
Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My project that I have labeled "skin corrosion" is growing. I,m at the "while i,m at it I might as well do this to" phase and have decided to replace all of the lower skins. the corners are quit a challange as they are compound curves. It would be easy to throw in the towel on these, but they will get done when I,m finished.

Kip
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Do it once! Do it right!:-)
BTW, forget the coffee! All that caffiene will do your brains in! Get some English tea bags! Tea has naturally occuring Thianine! This aids relaxation and concentration! Lol!
Marc
Marc, You may have forgotten that we in the "Colonies" dumped English tea into Boston Harbor a few years back! The fish have never recovered... Just Kidding! The East Indies Tea trade did wonders for the modern world. Tea anyone? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
"Time is on my side.... yes it is!"

Boatdoc, I sent you some Karma to ease the pain.... My A/S hasn't been towed since the day I brought it home in 2004. But it will rise like the Phoenix one day soon! Hang in there buddy and do what you can when you can. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Me three

Mine hasn't left my driveway either. Your wife is right, very wise lady. Try taking a look back and seeing what you've done. Discouragement is a big part of fixing these up, I've found. Uwe advised me just to think of the next step and keep going until that's done. Suddenly you're at the end!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Seems to me that anyone that does a gratis job for a tax supported community orginazation will not have to look to far for support from others that he has helped. I am more moved by the favor returned than by all the blood, sweat, and moaning and groaning that you have expended to this point in this project. "When you are on the right path unseen helping hands will keep you on that path." -Joseph Campbell paraphrased
Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Boatdoc, I sent you some Karma to ease the pain.... My A/S hasn't been towed since the day I brought it home in 2004. But it will rise like the Phoenix one day soon! Hang in there buddy and do what you can when you can. Ed
Hi BIGED52; I have to admire you for having the patience to look at a project which drags for long time. It kills me to fall behind the projected time. This is where I start to come in at 4:00 Am and go home at 8:00 Pm until it is done.
Few years ago my wife asked for a new larger porch. I have contracted willing local builder after many unreturned phone calls to many other contractors for an estimate. The willing one, gave me a estimate which was followed by seven weeks of "next week" promises. I had designed the porch in great detail and this contractor told me that I am overbuilding it from what he saw from my drawings. After first grade lumber sat stacked against the side of the house under the tarp for six weeks, I have broke out my carpentry tools and started pre fabricating the lumber. Week later I had main structure attached and sealed to the house in case of rain. Two weeks later and two months after contractors promised start schedule he showed up with five crew to see a beautiful finished porch with a halogen lighting and tropical custom fan. Who built your porch he asked. I replied, you are looking at him. How did you get the 18 sheets of 3/4 tongue and groove plywood on the roof, he asked? Ingenuity, I replied. After which he got back in his truck and left.
My wife wanted a large pond. Two months later, she had a beautifull 7'x16' kidney shaped concrete pond lined with stone and surrounded by slate floor around it, and red brick walled rectangular compound around it, measuring 18'x 30'. Four foot high stone lined waterfall and two fountains and all SS piping, SS bio tank and SS pump tank hidden below the slate covered access plate.

Last year she wanted a green house. One month later she was enjoying a 8'x12' green house all out of welded aluminum frame, glass doors and sides. Polycarbonate roof and only wood base from 2"x12". Between all of those things, my wife is not sure what she enjoys the most. I find her tending to the green house with much love for it, but she sits at the pond reading her books. Summer time when it rains, she reads on the porch.

Now all of you should understand why I have this kind of trait, to get started and get it done. As far as AS goes, today I have all inner skins on and I will get on with next item which I am not sure what it will be. Thanks, "Boatdoc"