Old 02-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
It may have been sort of "dumb".........

but it has sure served as family humor for over 40 years. I was about 10 or 12 years old. We lived in Las Vegas, New Mexico, and camped ofen in the Sangre de Christo Mountains in the northern part of the state, not too far from Raton, Nex Mexico. It was a time and a place where you could wind up a scenic river, camp for two weeks at a place of your choosing, and never see another living soul. We had a small camp trailer of some long-forgotten make and model, plus a large military tent. My late father set up one serious camp one summer and we stayed there for a couple of weeks, fishing for native cutthroat trout and enjoying nature - a time of great joy to the entire family (mom, dad, two sisters and me). The "facilities" consisted of a slit trench about 6 feet long, where all perishable refuse went in along with the obvious. As we readied to go home, my father covered the slit trench in dirt and stone. It looked so much like a grave he thought it would be funny to construct a cross. He even formed "R.I.P." out of green branches, and connected the letters to the cross. Late that autumn, my dad took me and my grandfather back to the same place for what was my first deer hunt. Wouldn't you know that some "grave robber" had desecrated the grave, looking for who knows what? While I can only picture the disappointment of discovering the secrets of that particular grave, I've laughed at the mental image for years.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Last October we finished off the season by camping with friends in Algonquin Provincial park. A very large motorhome drove up and look like he was going to try to back into the site across from us. If my friend moved his truck it would give the motorhome driver more space to manouver. My friend walked up to the driver of the motorhome and asked if the truck was a problem. The guy in the motorhome looked down, smiled, and casually replied, " not really, if it is I'll just nudge it out of the way".
We all had a good laugh.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Talking Bears, RV, and Newbies

Some newbies bought a piece of property in Northern Ontario. Everyone warned them of the BEAR problem in that area and they would need to keep their food suspended high in the air. I guess there was a communication problem and this was the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	high trailer.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1605  
Old 03-11-2003, 02:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
This happened when I was in college in the mid 1970's. I was sitting in class in a building that was on "stilts" to allow a parking garage underneath. At the rear of the building was the entrance to the parking area and was the same grade level as the road leading up to it.

There was this guy in a rival fraternity who drove a Toyota chassis Winnabago Mini-Winnie class C to school that semester.

As I was saying, I was sitting in class and all of a sudden there was a terrible "boom" and the building vibrated.

We all ran to the window and there was this Mini-Winnie Motorhome stuck half way under the building with half of its roof sheared off. The guy (who was a Pi Kappa Alpha by the way) was outside jumping up and down cursing.

We laughed and laughed at his stupid a** while beating on the windows and pointing at him!!!

In his haste, he had forgotten he was in an RV and not his car.

He was known as the "Winnabago Kid" for the rest of his college career.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:43 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ever gone through an underpass and noticed that the I-Beams or the concrete was damaged up there.

It was because of boneheads like that!

I can't even imagine the speed and the sudden stop that could tear into the iron as I have seen on some underpasses.

My favorite Darwin though is the guy with the Impala that strapped JATO rockets to his car and the other guy that connected several weather baloons to his lawn chair and floated into the flight paths at the local airport.

It just thins out the herd I suspect, it sure is funny along the way though.

Eric
Old 03-11-2003, 05:00 PM   #20

A few years ago, a friend of ours travelling alone in a Bounder, decided to take a shorcut he noticed on the map. Drove a few miles on a small country road, in the evening, to take a ferry.
You guessed it : "Ferry stopped running for the season"

He had to back that thing, all alone, in the dark, for 2 miles before he could turn around.
We found that very funny, but tried to picture what we could have done ourselves.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Ever gone through an underpass and noticed that the I-Beams or the concrete was damaged up there.

It was because of boneheads like that!

I can't even imagine the speed and the sudden stop that could tear into the iron as I have seen on some underpasses.

My favorite Darwin though is the guy with the Impala that strapped JATO rockets to his car and the other guy that connected several weather baloons to his lawn chair and floated into the flight paths at the local airport.

It just thins out the herd I suspect, it sure is funny along the way though.

Eric
Have yopu seen Myth Busters on either TLC or Discovery?
Well the redid both of those. They can find no proof that the Jato deal was real and it's a urban legend They built a remote control car and did attempt this. It was a sucess but the car did fine and they ran it longer with more power then a Jato would have produced. It survived and did not take to the air at all.
The lawn chair is real and it is documented and they know who did it. and they were able to recreate it.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote