Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
DFord,

If it's as you say, then that would pretty much make him a scoundrel in my book. I never knew any of that.

I'm not a super huge NASCAR fan. I watch it now and then, but not like my one buddy who has not missed a race, live, in four years. Sunday afternoon, forget it, he's not doing anything with anyone. He's watching the race. Unless it happens to be on Saturday night, then he's in there watching it then

I used to work for Grove Crane back in '94-96 and we used DuPont paint. One day they brought in Jeff Gordon and his team as an employee appreciation thing. Jeff was 24 at the time; I was 25. He had just broken into NASCAR like a year prior or so and had not won Daytona yet. He was just like you said; very smiley and "Ah gee fellas" kind of thing. Seemed like Richie Cunningham the guy next door.

I'd never heard about his dealings with Ford like that or wrecking people. I thought only Earnhardt intentionally wrecked people back then. Guess I was wrong.

I kinda like Tony Stewart; only because (A) he looks like me (before he gained 50lbs) and (B) anybody who gets into a fistfight in the pits is AOK in my book. Puts me in mind of Lee Petty and Junior Johnson and the guys back then.

'69 Dodge Charger Daytona is still the most beautiful car ever created
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
JimGolden :I'm not a super huge NASCAR fan. I watch it now and then, but not like my one buddy who has not missed a race, live, in four years. Sunday afternoon, forget it, he's not doing anything with anyone. He's watching the race. Unless it happens to be on Saturday night, then he's in there watching it then

I am much the same way. You could probably count on one hand the Cup races I have missed in the last 10 years. Matter of fact...hands and toes could account for the races I have missed since 1976...and before maybe

Ya...not many people know about Gordons past. Thats to be exspected tho. Its been a while back and there are probably more people that have become cup fans since the mid 90's that there ever were before that time.

Ya..Earnhardt was a rough driver. Glad you remembered that. He is some sort of saint in the south. He was good, great car contoll but very rough and had the best equipment for the most part.

The deal with Jr and Hendrick means that Hendrick will have even more money ( I hate it when people use the term recorces, its like they don't want to say....THE GUYS MAKING MILLIONS) to race with. According to the publications Jr is the is one of the highest paid athlets in the word. He is in the top 10 anyway. The last I remember was HIs personal income was 27 million a year. Tiger woods was Number 1 at over a 100 million.

You mention Tony Steward and I have tried to like that guy for a couple years. Everytime I think HE is ok..HE does something dumb. As long as He stays within His boundaries I think He is ok. But His temper gets the best of him,,,,then He makes a fool of himself....a....and Kurt Bursh did too...and a few others we could go on about that all night.

I am a Carl Edwards fan, Carl is another with outstanding car contoll. I used to be a Bill Elloitt fan but of course He never races much anymore. David Pearson was my first racing Hero..if I can call anyone a Hero. I listened to an interesting show a while back. Richard Petty and David Pearson finish ONE< TWO sixty seven times. Pearson won ONE more race than petty...and they only wrecked each other ONCE. Immagine that,,,,finishing either first or second to each other 67 times and only one wreck. That is drivers who respect each other. NOT like the KNOTHEADS of today. The NEW NASCAR philosophy is blocking and ...if I can't pass him racing...I AM GONNA HAVE TO PUT HIM IN THE FENCE. Its become an excepted part of racing. If you had Jeff Gordon and Tony Steward running one two ,or any two drivers for that matter,,,,67 times on the last lap you would probably have 66 wrecks.

OK...enough...OFF my soapbox. I get started about racing an can't quit.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'm a mopar guy, so for me, King Richard will always be King.

And I liked the movie "Cars". Even though it's a cartoon, when a Petty Blue Superbird is lapping the track, it's gotta be cool!

I liked the old days when they took a car off the production line, put a roll cage in it, and went racing. Hasn't been that since the early 80's.

A friend of mine used to run into Bill Elliot in the hardware store all the time in (I think) Hickory, NC. Said he was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

I'm sure TS is probably a goob. I just found him entertaining. It's a long way from Lee Petty, Jr. Johnson, and the like.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 AM   #44
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Redneck Mardi Gras

Just a few weeks away...and things are starting to get going.
Drove by the track, Talladega, just looking around, stopped by the go-cart track and talked to the owners.
Not alot of busnesses out there yet.
Is coming though...saw a high rise condo site in the works.
Anyway, go-cart owners said their campsites are $350 a week, and they are way down from, and off the main drag or 'The 'Strip'
Said that was cheap, its $700 a week in the premo spots closer to track!
Wow...should have bought land out there when was give away prices.

Still amazed at the number of campers that show up.

klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 AM   #45
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Don't panic....
These prices are for full hook up private campgrounds.
The Talladega Track has free camping for all with a ticket in photos above That is what your seeing, the free sites.
Dusty, roudy, noisy, and full of the adventure you came looking for.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote