Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cutting down

I started with a 19' Scamp 5th-wheel and worked my way up through a TrailManor and 3 Airstreams, each one larger than the one before and with more storage. My current (and permanent, I hope) Classic 28 has loads of storage space and we have been making way too much use of it.

Last week, I decided that it was time to "slim down" our load. Out went the footstool that was never used and too-bulky pillows that just got in the way. Out went the extra hand vacuum and the extra folding table that had remained when I bought better replacements.

Next, I counted 13 dinner-size plates, 5 Memmac and 8 of the metal Airstream plates. We are now down to 4 of each. Now to the glasses and mugs. We had enough to equip a small army, but no more. Down from 7 metal Airstream mugs to 4 and threw out a bunch of cheap plastic that had accumulated over time.

Too many towels and washcloths that were never used were next. I actually have some free space now in the bathroom cabinet.

Last, I inventoried my tools and parts and brought home those that had migrated to the trailer but were unlikely to be used anytime soon.

I suspect that the trailer is now about 50# lighter and there is actually free space in the drawers and cabinets. Maybe this kind of cleanout should be a yearly ritual.

We can still easily entertain friends without the "Fibber McGee" clutter in the storage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One of my wife's favorite shows is an organization show on Discovery Home Channel entitled "Neat". She gets ideas on storage solutions and other organization tips from that show. However, she uses the title of a show from another network to conduct "Mission Organization" routines throughout the house from time to time.

We had a plumbing flood a few years ago while we were at work that did a total of $62K plus damage and we had to throw out what seemed like more than half of our house hold, yet we still didn't have to replace most of what was lost, and since that time she is much less likely to hold on to anything that isn't currently in use.

We have two growing boys (ages 6 & 9) and we bought items for our Airstream for two years while we fruitlessly waited for the 30' Safari to be offered in the SE package and we have yet to utilize more than 25% of the available storage at our disposal in the unit.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up It is for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Maybe this kind of cleanout should be a yearly ritual.
Good idea...

We take EVERYTHING out when we winterize each fall. This makes us reassess what goes back in next year. In a small trailer, there's no extra room to carry all the extras that can accumulate in a year. It also makes the spring cleaning alot easier ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Gosh John, when I read "towels and washcloths that were never used " I was thinking I wonder how long they camp for without needing to use those items .

Although we also clear the trailer out in late fall, I then put back our inclement weather gear. I consider our Airstream our emergency home should something happen weather wise or environmentally and winter time is the most likely time something would happen. It's got canned and packaged food for several days, warm blankets and pillows, and an emergency kit as well as spare warm jackets,gloves, boots, etc. One just never knows and it's a lot easier to keep a trailer warm than a whole house, and with 12V lighting and propane we will have lights, water, heat and cooking if ever required. I make sure the propane tanks are topped up and although I don't put water in it (freezing potential) we have a creek that runs through our yard so boil some water and we're fine. In the spring the cold weather items will go back into storage and the real out-and-about camping gear goes back in. Typically if I have not used an item for the prior two camping seasons it does not get a spot back in the trailer.

I also have a wife who is big into organization and I drive her crazy.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Gosh John, when I read "towels and washcloths that were never used " I was thinking I wonder how long they camp for without needing to use those items .
Don't worry. We still have 4 full sets of everything (bath towels, hand towels, washcloths) in the trailer plus 2 extra large bath towels. For two people, that's plenty. Our dirty clothes bag size sets our limit of how many items we use before going to the washeteria.

My wife keeps finding "bargains" and adding them to the trailer until every nook was stuffed with linens.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We go thru this periodically around our place too...I had a shelf collapse in the kitchen cabinet one night, why do we have place settings for 48 When we cleaned our popup out at the end of one season, I did the old backpacker routine of making 3 piles: The essentials (stuff that has to go no matter what) The stuff used at least once in the past season, and The stuff that never got used period. Total accumulation was over 250# of stuff, the never used pile was at least 60# of it. We are very bad for never getting rid of stuff around here, might need it some day

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm thinking about adding deadweight

Quote:
...I suspect that the trailer is now about 50# lighter ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
... Total accumulation was over 250# of stuff, the never used pile was at least 60# of it...
My wife & I graduated from tent camping to Airstreaming. As a consequence, we already had two carefully selected boxes of gear ready to stow in the Airstream after the refurbishment.

After suffering various vibration issues, the axles were replaced earlier this year. With the vendor's blessing, the new axles' total weight rating was increased by 400 pounds. During the 60 mile shakedown trip, the Airstream had everything it normally has during a trip except our clothes & food.

After returning home, I found everything rattled around (doors opened, linens moved) as if I had done nothing at all. I was POed.

But the next week we left on an 1800 mile round trip loaded with clothes & breakfast for a week. During just about every stop, I found everything inside the Airstream riding quite well. It appears my axles need a preload for optimum operation.

I'm considering bringing my lead weight collection along on the next trip to see if I can make the Airstream ride even smoother!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
We can still easily entertain friends without the "Fibber McGee" clutter in the storage.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear that closet open again, now and then?

Zep
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I'm considering bringing my lead weight collection along on the next trip to see if I can make the Airstream ride even smoother!

Tom
Or you could start collecting rocks at every stop, like Lucy.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Scary - - I like my stuff and I like rooting through it on rainy days. Find things I havn't seen in years and I kinda like trying to guess what on earth I needed the darn thing for in the first place. As long as it dosn't start to smell bad I tend to keep it
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear that closet open again, now and then?

Zep
Almost the same, without the closet door:
http://horschfamily.com/sounds/PinDrop.wav
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I made that kind of noise while carving the Turkey Thursday!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote