Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Credit Card Hack-Advisory

Long story shortened:

Yesterday at 5:11PM my wife received an email from Chase Credit Card Services Fraud department stating a $25.00 charge had been declined that we should call a number given. I called the number on the back of our card. Our card was put, but us, on a 48 hour hold due to something entirely different and only released from the hold 6 hours prior. The email further stated that the charge had been posted as an internet purchase at 5:33PM yesterday.

My conversation was a long one, but the gist is this. Hackers have now programmed computers to randomly select 16 digits, then once it finds that a valid card randomly pick an expiration month and year and then randomly select a three digit security code. All of this in the blink of an eye, or less.

Chase rejected the charge due to an incorrect expiration date, the computer had correctly guessed at the three digit code. All of this was explained to me by the Chase fraud person. She suggested that since they had the card number and knew it was an active card that we destroy the card and they would send us a new one. She further told me that most people do not bother calling for a $25.00 charge even though they have been asked to do so. I have also placed the card on a permanent hold for any internet purchase. The security person further recommended that we buy on line only through PayPal, of course using the Chase card. We usually do in fact.

We watch every account we have, credit cards, banks and brokerage every day so we catch any fraud within a day. We do so when at home and when on the road. But this time Chase caught it within 22 minutes with an alert to us. And the attempted internet purchase was made from El Salvador.

As an aside this is the third fraudulent attempt for us with a Visa card, knock on wood never with the AmEx. Not sure why, but curious.
__________________

__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,090
Since this happens thousands of times every day why is it relevant to Air Forums?
__________________

__________________
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,889
It's relevant because real people participate in this forum. This IS the "Off Topic" section, isn't it?

I am no way associated with Citibank other than this: of the few cards we have, one is a Citibank MasterCard. I keep that one to use exclusively for internet purchases, because they have what is called a Virtual Account Number feature where you can generate a one-time-use Virtual Account Number to use. In the background, it is tied to your main account, so the charges show up there. When you generate the Virtual Account Number, you can put a dollar limit on the transaction and/or a time limit.

It's a good, handy feature.
__________________
"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth"
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,763
Images: 12
I have my Chase Visa and Amex cards set to send me a text every time there is a charge over $5.00. I usually get the text within seconds of someone running my card. So far, no fraudulent charges.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I have my Chase Visa and Amex cards set to send me a text every time there is a charge over $5.00. I usually get the text within seconds of someone running my card. So far, no fraudulent charges.
My Amex card sends me an email for all Card not present transactions.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Since this happens thousands of times every day why is it relevant to Air Forums?

Because its in the OFF TOPIC section which is where anything not associated with Airstreams or camping can and should be posted
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
time2play's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 343
Just as an FYI - Bank of America Visa credit card also has a similar feature. It's called ShopSafe. I use it quite often (when I remember to use it, that is).

Coincidentally, I've been contacted twice in the last two weeks about similar fraudulent attempts (different cards). Fortunately, the company declined the transactions before they contacted us because they deemed it "suspicious activity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
It's relevant because real people participate in this forum. This IS the "Off Topic" section, isn't it?

I am no way associated with Citibank other than this: of the few cards we have, one is a Citibank MasterCard. I keep that one to use exclusively for internet purchases, because they have what is called a Virtual Account Number feature where you can generate a one-time-use Virtual Account Number to use. In the background, it is tied to your main account, so the charges show up there. When you generate the Virtual Account Number, you can put a dollar limit on the transaction and/or a time limit.

It's a good, handy feature.
__________________
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar

 
1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,038
Images: 9
There is a very current fraud scheme going on now:

You receive a call from a major CC company and your caller I'd will say it comes from there ie: Visa. The callet is very professional, articulate and has a well rehearsed script. They tell you the call is recorded for quality service. They address you by name, advise you of a flagged charge, ask if you made the purchase, tell you they are canceling your card, sending you a new card, they recite your accurate address, and give you a fraud case number.

At the very end of this very convincing conversation they confirm with you that you are still in possession of your card and ask you to confirm the last 3 digits on the back.

That was the only piece of information they were looking for and the only piece of information they needed go complete the puzzle.

IF you are caught off guard and gave them the 3 number security code on back then you quickly have a questionable charge on your card.

Always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the bad guys is a full time job. I appreciate the sharing of info.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I have my Chase Visa and Amex cards set to send me a text every time there is a charge over $5.00. I usually get the text within seconds of someone running my card. So far, no fraudulent charges.

Thanks and to BoldAdventures, just set up AmEx per your posts. Appreciate the posts.

Bud
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
There is a very current fraud scheme going on now:

You receive a call from a major CC company and your caller I'd will say it comes from there ie: Visa. The callet is very professional, articulate and has a well rehearsed script. They tell you the call is recorded for quality service. They address you by name, advise you of a flagged charge, ask if you made the purchase, tell you they are canceling your card, sending you a new card, they recite your accurate address, and give you a fraud case number.

At the very end of this very convincing conversation they confirm with you that you are still in possession of your card and ask you to confirm the last 3 digits on the back.

That was the only piece of information they were looking for and the only piece of information they needed go complete the puzzle.

IF you are caught off guard and gave them the 3 number security code on back then you quickly have a questionable charge on your card.

Always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the bad guys is a full time job. I appreciate the sharing of info.
The Chase Fraud person told me also that there are millions of said numbers now compromised by this scheme.

Thanks
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,400
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
There is a very current fraud scheme going on now:

You receive a call from a major CC company and your caller I'd will say it comes from there ie: Visa. The callet is very professional, articulate and has a well rehearsed script. They tell you the call is recorded for quality service. They address you by name, advise you of a flagged charge, ask if you made the purchase, tell you they are canceling your card, sending you a new card, they recite your accurate address, and give you a fraud case number.

At the very end of this very convincing conversation they confirm with you that you are still in possession of your card and ask you to confirm the last 3 digits on the back.

That was the only piece of information they were looking for and the only piece of information they needed go complete the puzzle.

IF you are caught off guard and gave them the 3 number security code on back then you quickly have a questionable charge on your card.

Always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the bad guys is a full time job. I appreciate the sharing of info.
On at least one occasion in the past I've received a legitimate inbound call like that to warn me of questionable activity on my account. I politely informed them that I didn't discuss such things on inbound calls and asked how to reach them via the toll-free # on my card. The rep said while they couldn't be reached specifically, I could just ask for the fraud department and anyone could help me, and they understood why I didn't trust inbound calls asking about financial matters.
__________________

__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit Card false Charging HowieE Off Topic Forum 17 03-29-2015 09:21 AM
Best Credit Card -U.S. & Canada Travel knunut Off Topic Forum 7 07-19-2011 11:56 AM
credit card fraud Orland Dewey Off Topic Forum 9 08-14-2004 11:05 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.