Old 08-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

credit card fraud

I know this is a little stretch for M H stuff. While on a 4week trip to Florida
last February we used our credit card most of the time. When we got home and 3 weeks later a bill came and there was a $764.00 charge against the card. We of course got it taken off. I am trying to track it down and try to figure out where we had our number stolen.The charge was in a Lowes store
in Garner NC. We were in a Lowes store in Spring Hill, Fl . We really don't know if there is any connection or not. I have contacted every agency I can
think of and the card carrier and the bank that issued the Credit Card. They all say to contact the police dept. We don't know if they mean the police in my home town in Michigan or in Garner NC or in Florida. They did tell us that the card was used for 7 x $80.00 Phone cards and $165.00 gift card. Sounds to me like they got cash and then sold the cards on the street. They provided us with a persons name who signed the receipt.

We don't have any idea as to where the theft occured. We never lost
track of our cards! I am lost as to how I may find out where the theft occured. Any suggestions someone may have will be appreciated. I am
trying to learn from this error and try to prevent it the future.

ODD

Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I heard that Lowe's had a problem with some buyers credit card information getting pulled out of their system. They fixed the issue, but your card may be one that was "stolen".

Report it to the police in the city that the charge was done in. There is likely little that they will be able to do, but still report it.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Don't sweat it, for four reasons:

(1) The opportunities for people to steal your credit card are enormous. Anyone working a retail shop or restaurant can steal card numbers readily. Anyone who overhears you ordering something by phone. Anyone who sees your card for a few seconds. Etc. You'll probably never figure out how yours was compromised, and in any case it probably was not your fault.

(2) By law your liability is zero since you reported the misuse of your card within a few days. Even if you hadn't reported it your loss would be limited to $50.

(3) This is the credit card company's problem. They have millions of dollars invested in systems and personnel to prevent fraud or at least limit it when it happens. You can't expect to out-do the efforts of such a system by second-guessing your whereabouts. And even if you did guess where the problem occurred, what would you do differently?

(4) Most police departments will do no more than take a report from you. They don't have the resources to chase down every credit card or identity theft.

If you had your entire life turned upside down I could see becoming a vigilante to track down the offender, or identify the mistake you might have made, but for a minor incident like this I would just ask the credit card company to issue a new card # (if they haven't already), and go on enjoying life.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
http://msmvps.com/harrywaldron/archi...6/07/7723.aspx

Monday, June 07, 2004 3:27 PM
Wardriver pleads guilty in Lowes WiFi hacks

In a rare wireless hacking conviction, a Michigan man entered a guilty plea Friday in federal court in Charlotte, North Carolina for his role in a scheme to steal credit card numbers from the Lowe's chain of home improvement stores by taking advantage of an unsecured wi-fi network at a store in suburban Detroit.

FBI Stakeout

The hackers used the wireless network to route through Lowe's corporate data center in North Carolina and connect to the local networks at stores in Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, South Dakota, Florida, and two stores in California. At two of the stores -- in Long Beach, California and Gainseville, Florida -- they modified a proprietary piece of software called "tcpcredit" that Lowe's uses to process credit card transactions, building in a virtual wiretap that would store customer's credit card numbers where the hackers could retrieve them later.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

A little off topic, but I wonder what information a person can extract from a personal computer running wireless. Say you have a wireless hook-up for your DSL connection, someone within range can pick up your signal and use your internet connection. What else, if anything, can they get from your system?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It depends on how well they know what they are doing and what business you conduct over your computer.

I use a cable connection to do my online banking, investing, and other activities where I use a credit card. I also check my card activity every day. However, I do use my card everyday also, but I need to make certain that charges are only those that I have authorized.

When you discover any type of mis-activity on your creidt card you should at once make a Police report. It is fraud if it is not you doing the transaction. You can file the report in your home town. Then call your credit card company and cancel the card immediately and ask for a new one to be issued.

One should also check all 3 reporting agencies for their credit report every 3 months. This will let you know if any credit checks have nbeen run, any new credit has been applied for, and any reports of non-payment. This can help you to stop a problem before it gets too big.

The 3 reporting agencies for your credit report are Equafax, Trans-Union, and Experion. You can do a search on each and find what you are looking for.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
A little off topic, but I wonder what information a person can extract from a personal computer running wireless. Say you have a wireless hook-up for your DSL connection, someone within range can pick up your signal and use your internet connection. What else, if anything, can they get from your system?

It depends:

If you enable the WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) on both sides the basic wardriver will not be able to connect. They will need to figure out your WEP key to get on your network. There are 3 levels of security, you pick the level and the key. I go with a manual entered key.

If a hacker has a wireless packet sniffer it really doesn't matter what you do for encryption. They can copy the actual packets and recreate the data stream. It take a bunch of time and some sophisticated hardware and software to do this, so unless the kid next door has the stuff then they have all the time in the world to attempt to penetrate your security.

I f you are concerned don't use your credit card on a wireless connection. If you have wireless ENABLE YOUR WEP. Not having it on is the open door that even an amateur hacker needs to get on your in home network.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Thanks, good to know.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I had my credit card number used for several online purchases. I had the card in my wallet. After about 6 or 7 charges the fraud department at the credit card company called me and we immediately cancelled the card. I didn't have to pay any of the charges.

Then several months later my local police department called me. They had tracked down credit card fraud in town and had a report of fraud with my card. They asked me questions about where we had used the card, etc. I did not report it to them so I assume the credit card company did. I feel better knowing that the credit card company worked hand in hand with law enforcement to try to solve the crime.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
On our very first trip in the MH last summer we took it from Louisville to New Hampshire. Somewhere in PA I pulled into a truck stop to fill up for the third time. Once I put my card in the pump it directed me inside to speak with the attendant.

The attendant put me on the phone with the card company who told me that they had turned off the card based on unusual purchasing patterns. After all we have never purchased that much fuel before. They asked me a ton of verification questions and then turned eveything back on.

Nice to know its more than just god commercials. They actually do pay attention to this stuff.

PS - the only time a cc number was stolen from me was when I used it in Grand Central Station to make a business call from a pay phone. The card company tracked it from NYC to London to Russion within 24 hours. They told me people sit across from pay phones with binolulars all the time and watch you type in your number.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote

« bakelite | Top | lets chat! »