Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Err...what are you advocating here? It seems inappropriate. Also, if you think they gather to steal and exchange credit card numbers, you misunderstand the point of the conference.
Yeah that conference is about security and exposing flaws so companies can correct them. There is such a thing as ethical hacking.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The tip-off to the company was a $3.86 charge from some 'hotel' in PA. this was the test to see if the card was active. 10 charges for auto parts quickly followed. They were all charged back to the vendor and card was cancelled.
An interesting twist to my original issue. In my case the erroneous charge was ADDED to a legitimate transaction so checking my statement against receipts was the only way to see it.

My assumption is that there are only 2 parties that could do that, the vendor or the card issuer. Since I trust neither I match the receipts and the statement.

Hacking is a completely different issue.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Yes Bold, as with defense contractors looking for new talent. Think devils advocate. Where would a bad hacker go to see the latest technology and ideas, to stop him? Sorry HowieE for the high jack. Thanks to this thred I now know that credit cards can now charge the buyer a charge fee.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our debit cards are no longer - too easy to swipe while passing by someone with a reader plus not as much protection after the fact from vendor. We use only AmEx and a Marriott Visa, which has been electronically stolen three times in the past six months.

I got a call from an on-line retailer about not be able to reach me for a $200 purchase via email or phone being delayed. Both were false. I kept the person on and got into a series of "CSI" type questions and secured the date of the purchase and the ship to address. Went to google maps and google earth and found the house, NYC. Then went to Linkdin and Facebook and found the person via address searching. Took a bit but found it was an Russian "executive" woman living in NYC. I called the Visa company and gave them all the info. In talking with them it was apparent they were excited, but have no time to do this type of investigation on their own. I was told they have literally almost a million of these or more a week. They said they were going to follow this one as it might lead to the Russian mob whom they know are behind a lot of these electronic hacks. We now have RFID covers on all our credit cards and wallet passports as well as gun permits. Since putting the cards in these we have not been hacked.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote