Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Are these people just making you offers via email/phone without having seen the Excella? Those people are to be ignored, plain and simple. They are either dumb enough to offer to buy an Airstream sight unseen for more than scrap value, or they're not making a serious offer. There are a very few people I'd consider buying an Airstream from sight unseen, and you're one of them, but that's because I've met you and have an idea of the sort of guy you are... they haven't.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I too admit drifting away from the Magic Jack. Since I got an iPad 2, I have been carrying that instead of my Macbook.

I mentioned it because of the US number and voice mail function.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
To the original starter of this thread.....I know it's a difficult process selling something like your Airstream right now, but stick with it, you will eventually find the right person. Heck, if you weren't over a 1000 miles away from me, I would be extremely interested.

I've had both positive and negative experiences buying and selling on Craigslist. I've found that things like auto parts, electronics, etc. are much easier to deal with since there isn't as much room for negotation on price and the buyers/sellers are almost always local.

Trying to find a used Airstream on craigslist has been an adventure to say the least for me personally. I unfortunately have become one of those people that will ask for many specific pieces of information and multiple pictures just to keep myself from being led on an other pointless adventure to look at a trailer that was misrepresented by the seller. Last summer, my wife and I dropped everything to run and look at one that the seller neglected to tell us that one side of the trailer was practically destroyed by a tire failure. Another one we looked at was advertised as 100% ready to go only to find out that the fridge didn't work, one of the cabinets was split on the outside, and the floor was so soft in the bathroom that you felt like the toilet was going to fall through the floor the first time you used it. There's nothing like wasting time and money to look at something that I wouldn't even consider having known the real condition.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I will save you some time and effort

I paid $500 at Real Estate class and this is all I learned. Buyer's who buy BUY buyer's who do not buy DO NOT BUY so blank. I take it this way do not work with non buyer's. I have my boat up for sale triple blue book and get weird offers gee yeah I will take 150% less than asking lol. If you get offer and person has not seen unit they have nothing to loose even will back out deals do not waist your time. Real buyer's show up to your door with checkbooks.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
I paid $500 at Real Estate class and this is all I learned. Buyer's who buy BUY buyer's who do not buy DO NOT BUY so blank. I take it this way do not work with non buyer's. I have my boat up for sale triple blue book and get weird offers gee yeah I will take 150% less than asking lol. If you get offer and person has not seen unit they have nothing to loose even will back out deals do not waist your time. Real buyer's show up to your door with checkbooks.
Definitely right that real buyers will show up with checkbooks... but I can't resist saying that "150% less than asking" would be you paying them half your asking price to take it off your hands.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon
To the original starter of this thread.....I know it's a difficult process selling something like your Airstream right now, but stick with it, you will eventually find the right person. Heck, if you weren't over a 1000 miles away from me, I would be extremely interested.

I've had both positive and negative experiences buying and selling on Craigslist. I've found that things like auto parts, electronics, etc. are much easier to deal with since there isn't as much room for negotation on price and the buyers/sellers are almost always local.

Trying to find a used Airstream on craigslist has been an adventure to say the least for me personally. I unfortunately have become one of those people that will ask for many specific pieces of information and multiple pictures just to keep myself from being led on an other pointless adventure to look at a trailer that was misrepresented by the seller. Last summer, my wife and I dropped everything to run and look at one that the seller neglected to tell us that one side of the trailer was practically destroyed by a tire failure. Another one we looked at was advertised as 100% ready to go only to find out that the fridge didn't work, one of the cabinets was split on the outside, and the floor was so soft in the bathroom that you felt like the toilet was going to fall through the floor the first time you used it. There's nothing like wasting time and money to look at something that I wouldn't even consider having known the real condition.
Thanks for the encouraging post, I too have been on the wild goose chases were in the end the item you find is not the same item that's been described to you.
I'm always very honest with people when they contact them about our trailer, I constantly remind them that it is nearly 20 years old and if they are looking for a Perfect trailer then I would suggest going to a dealership. I do not advertise it as being perfect. I advertise it as good, good to me meaning its 20 years old and has marks or dings suggesting it has traveled the US highways, it has a few pings in the roof suggesting it may have encountered a hail storm, the vinyl decal on the outside does a a place where its missing, but ALL mechanical, electrical, & plumbing components work perfectly. And my floors are solid! If anyone has bought very many of those items then you know those are very costly items.

Bottom line is the last thing I want to do is miss lead someone and they make a long trip just to be disappointed. Especially with today's fuel prices.

So I'm as some have said there's someone out there who will want it, so wait is what I will do.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S View Post
Thanks for the encouraging post, I too have been on the wild goose chases were in the end the item you find is not the same item that's been described to you.
I'm always very honest with people when they contact them about our trailer, I constantly remind them that it is nearly 20 years old and if they are looking for a Perfect trailer then I would suggest going to a dealership. I do not advertise it as being perfect. I advertise it as good, good to me meaning its 20 years old and has marks or dings suggesting it has traveled the US highways, it has a few pings in the roof suggesting it may have encountered a hail storm, the vinyl decal on the outside does a a place where its missing, but ALL mechanical, electrical, & plumbing components work perfectly. And my floors are solid! If anyone has bought very many of those items then you know those are very costly items.

Bottom line is the last thing I want to do is miss lead someone and they make a long trip just to be disappointed. Especially with today's fuel prices.

So I'm as some have said there's someone out there who will want it, so wait is what I will do.
You're welcome. I've sold enough over the years to understand how frustrating it can be. A couple years ago, I attempted to sell my wife's former truck on craigslist, only to become so mad that I just ended up trading it in to the dealer. A few thousand more than the dealer offered on trade just wasn't worth the hassle.

Like I said in my last post, your Airstream ad caught my eye here just because it was so complete and open. Add to that all of the upgrades you have done, and I think you have a good airstream that is priced well within reason. You are just going to have to wait for that specific individual that knows enough about these things to appreciate what you are offering. If this was the June when I have some time off and not January where I can't get away for the time required to get down there and back, we would be having a different conversation.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:

You're welcome. I've sold enough over the years to understand how frustrating it can be. A couple years ago, I attempted to sell my wife's former truck on craigslist, only to become so mad that I just ended up trading it in to the dealer. A few thousand more than the dealer offered on trade just wasn't worth the hassle.

Like I said in my last post, your Airstream ad caught my eye here just because it was so complete and open. Add to that all of the upgrades you have done, and I think you have a good airstream that is priced well within reason. You are just going to have to wait for that specific individual that knows enough about these things to appreciate what you are offering. If this was the June when I have some time off and not January where I can't get away for the time required to get down there and back, we would be having a different conversation.
Well that gives me hope, I think the deal is lots of folks really don't understand the time and money that goes into one of these. Then they compare the same year and length to a white box unit and they cannot understand why they should go with the Airstream when they can but the white box trailer with a slide out.

Well hopefully I will cross paths with you, or someone that has the views towards Airstreams and their value as you do. Good luck in your search for a trailer. Wish we where close enough to work out a deal.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Well that gives me hope, I think the deal is lots of folks really don't understand the time and money that goes into one of these. Then they compare the same year and length to a white box unit and they cannot understand why they should go with the Airstream when they can but the white box trailer with a slide out.

Well hopefully I will cross paths with you, or someone that has the views towards Airstreams and their value as you do. Good luck in your search for a trailer. Wish we where close enough to work out a deal.
Yea, me too. I hope you sell it soon to a good buyer. But keep me in mind if you still have it come summer.

A little off topic, but how do you like your 4th gen Dodge? I have 2 3rd gen Cummins powered Rams, an '07 5.9L G56 and an '04.5 48re. Before that, an '01 and a '92. Bought my wife a new 2010 Crew Cab 1500 last year. Just love that truck so far.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:

Yea, me too. I hope you sell it soon to a good buyer. But keep me in mind if you still have it come summer.

A little off topic, but how do you like your 4th gen Dodge? I have 2 3rd gen Cummins powered Rams, an '07 5.9L G56 and an '04.5 48re. Before that, an '01 and a '92. Bought my wife a new 2010 Crew Cab 1500 last year. Just love that truck so far.
I'll be sure to keep you in mind if its still with me during the summer.
As for our Dodge we absolutely LOVE it!
The ride is wonderful, plenty of room (mega cab), it's got all the power we need, love the exhaust break for the mountains, so far with 12,000 miles we couldn't be happier with our choice.
The fuel mileage is not what the old 5.9 used to be but we knew that before we bought.
The last dodge we had was the 1999 5.9. Dodge REALLY stepped it up with the interior, it's so nice now!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I'll be sure to keep you in mind if its still with me during the summer.
As for our Dodge we absolutely LOVE it!
The ride is wonderful, plenty of room (mega cab), it's got all the power we need, love the exhaust break for the mountains, so far with 12,000 miles we couldn't be happier with our choice.
The fuel mileage is not what the old 5.9 used to be but we knew that before we bought.
The last dodge we had was the 1999 5.9. Dodge REALLY stepped it up with the interior, it's so nice now!
I'd much rather be in the 2010 as compaired to my '07 for example. Those seats are just plain uncomfortable after a few hours. The wife and I are planning a ~month long trip from PA to CA and back next summer with our daughter and I jokingly said that I wanted a new truck before we left. The wife gave me that "only if you sell one first" line. Not sure I can part with any of them yet, but I've just got that itch for a new one.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Well going through my emails this morning ( Vietnam time 05:40 hrs ) and I've just finished replying to two different peoples questions about my classified ad.

Q: Does this trailer have washer/dryer hook ups? If so, where are they located?

I knew I forgot to add something in my remodel! Now where could I possibly squeeze those in? Hmmmm!

Q: Is it possible to tow a 22 ft bass boat off the bumper of that trailer?

Sure, get after it buddy!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S
Well going through my emails this morning ( Vietnam time 05:40 hrs ) and I've just finished replying to two different peoples questions about my classified ad.

Q: Does this trailer have washer/dryer hook ups? If so, where are they located?

I knew I forgot to add something in my remodel! Now where could I possibly squeeze those in? Hmmmm!

Q: Is it possible to tow a 22 ft bass boat off the bumper of that trailer?

Sure, get after it buddy!

FYI: I did not answer their questions that way, those were only what I was thinking to myself.
I answered respectively to each of their questions.
After reading my post I thought I should add that in some everyone doesn't think I was rude to them
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
FYI: I did not answer their questions that way, those were only what I was thinking to myself.
I answered respectively to each of their questions.
After reading my post I thought I should add that in some everyone doesn't think I was rude to them

You're better than I am. I'd be tempted to play along with them for a while just for the fun of it.