Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Our AS friends over at Tin Crumpet bought a Moho located in Texas while they were in England, where they live, persuaded another very nice guy, Vinnie at Airslide, to get it roadworthy (I think some cash was involved) then flew over, joined the NorCal Spring fling, drove it to Houston and now it is in Merrie Old England, so all overseas contacts are not scams.

I sold my BMW on CL after doing a little research & setting a "fair" price: fair to me and to the buyer. Both that sale and a subsequent one with similar pricing sold at my asking price. Both buyers asked, almost at the last minute, if I would take less, & I explained my fair price reasoning & everything went smoothly. I only had a few attempted lowballers and an email back with a "no reduction" note closed them off.

Years ago I had a foreign customer visiting the USA and researching some custom clean room equipment. He had quotes in hand from 2 companies. The short version: he called one supplier after doing a lot of value engineering cost reduction and asked him "Now, what is your lowest price?" The smart guy on the phone, a business acquaintance in Houston, said "That is our lowest price and it expires when I hang up the phone." That was accepted, so sometimes you have to play hardball.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Craigslist

many good ideas expressed in the posts above about how to protect yourself, literally and figuratively, when dealing with Craigslist buyers and sellers.

having both bought and sold a 1976 Sovereign, and a 1982 Excella on Craigslist, you do unfortunately have to arm yourself against the scammers.

iirc, the last paragraph I used selling those Airstreams said something like -

"Reasonable offers will be considered; ridiculous offers will be ignored. No shipping or financing is offered or included. No help needed selling this unit, thank you. And no Nigerian bank checks please? Cash will be fine."

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
I suspect the protracted recession is turning everyone into aggressive bargain hunters. First, there are many desperate people and businesses who need to raise cash and will accept offers that would have seemed ridiculous four or five years ago. Second, people have been successful acquiring bargains through lowballing so they demonstrate no shame in pressing for low prices. In my business I'm finding customers much more demanding in asking for low prices and discounts, competitors who were once unwilling to move on price now freely discounting and suppliers of raw materials pushing hard to raise prices at the same time I'm asking for discounts. Everyone is scratching to stay alive and find a deal.

From a macroeconomic demand we live in an era of plenty where supply for most discretionary purchase items exceeds demand so buyers feel free to insult sellers in market segments where price negotiation is the norm. Craiglist and eBay have their own specific dynamics but in the end they are vehicles for establishing prices for wiling buyers and sellers. Sam Walton once told his buyers not to be afraid to ask for low prices. He told them the vendors could always say no and they (the buyers) were not responsible for the vendor's profit, only Wal-Mart's. In the current market, a buyer with cash, patience, and an aggressive negotiating posture will find bargains.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2

"Reasonable offers will be considered; ridiculous offers will be ignored. No shipping or financing is offered or included. No help needed selling this unit, thank you. And no Nigerian bank checks please? Cash will be fine."
Think I need to add this to my ad! Great wording!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
I suspect the protracted recession is turning everyone into aggressive bargain hunters. First, there are many desperate people and businesses who need to raise cash and will accept offers that would have seemed ridiculous four or five years ago. Second, people have been successful acquiring bargains through lowballing so they demonstrate no shame in pressing for low prices. In my business I'm finding customers much more demanding in asking for low prices and discounts, competitors who were once unwilling to move on price now freely discounting and suppliers of raw materials pushing hard to raise prices at the same time I'm asking for discounts. Everyone is scratching to stay alive and find a deal.

From a macroeconomic demand we live in an era of plenty where supply for most discretionary purchase items exceeds demand so buyers feel free to insult sellers in market segments where price negotiation is the norm. Craiglist and eBay have their own specific dynamics but in the end they are vehicles for establishing prices for wiling buyers and sellers. Sam Walton once told his buyers not to be afraid to ask for low prices. He told them the vendors could always say no and they (the buyers) were not responsible for the vendor's profit, only Wal-Mart's. In the current market, a buyer with cash, patience, and an aggressive negotiating posture will find bargains.
Great read! Thanks!

So on your last sentence :"In the current market, a buyer with cash, patience, and an aggressive negotiating posture will find bargains"

As a seller one must assume in this market you should be patient, be cautious, be willing to negotiate but not surrender to low ballers, and be confident in yourself to achieve the best sells price you can get.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
All,

I love Craigslist, and have bought and sold tons of stuff with relatively few problems. Some of the best practices I have learned are:

1) Never post my phone number, personal email address or address in the ad.
2) Advise that responses to the ad that do not include a phone number will be ignored.
3) Write an entertaining ad that answers all the questions up front. I even usually include a "frequently asked Questions" section with items like "Q: Will you take my lowball, sight-unseen offer seriously? A: No, I believe I am offering a fair price for the following reasons..."
4) Ignore anyone offering to use escrow services.
5) Don't even provide an address until you have a customer on his way with a confirmed time. Again, I don't accept an appointment without a phone number.
6) Always set your price, and go ahead and do the work for the customer, ie., "brand new, this item would cost X", or ""items in this condition are averaging $x on ebay." I never include "or best offer" in an ad--that just invites the low-ballers.
7) If a sale price looks too good to be true, it probably is. In these cases, I usually do a google search of some of the key words, because a similar ad is probably running in every major city.
8) I don't even respond to questions like "Is the item still for sale?" I try to head that off in my FAQ section (ie., if the ad is still up, then the item is still for sale).

My biggest frustrations have been the people who make an appointment to visit and then don't show, and especially the people with whom I have made a specific appointment to visit, and when I arrive, they inform me that the item is already sold--this has got to be my absolute biggest peeve. The Nigerians, low-ballers, and question askers, I can take.

Fortunately, I have never encountered anyone out to do me harm. I think a very special penalty should be reserved for those psychos who find victims via C-list.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
One of your challenges is that your trailer is WAY on the nicer end of used Airstreams sold on Craigslist, at least in TX/OK/AR/LA. It's not too unusual for me to read a CL ad for an Airstream and look at the pictures they've offered and think it's probably worth 60% of what they're asking. In one case, before I found the Argosy I did a detailed inspection and was SURE it was overpriced to that degree. I did actually make the offer I thought it was worth (with an explanation of why) and got turned down, but I think it eventually sold a little closer to my offer than his ask.

The other problems outlined above are all applicable. Thick skin would have to be important. Remember that what they're saying to you isn't really "you're selling a piece of crap" it's "I'm a cheap SOB who's trying to get something for nothing."

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefawn View Post
When I put my car for sale on Craigslist I IMMEDIATELY got scammers--- ALL OF THEM VIA EMAIL. As soon as I removed the email address, and left only the phone number, all the scamming stopped, and I successfully sold the car. I will never utilize the email route again on Craigslist.

Kathy
Couldn't agree more! Now when I use Craigslist, I include instructions to provide a phone number for making purchase arrangements. If I get an email without the required phone number, it goes in the trash. Scammers still try with a story, of course, absent the phone number.

By the way, fraudsters cruise the Airforums Classifieds, too. So beware and never send money to them despite the great sounding reason. As the seller, the buyer is supposed to send you money, not visa versa.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
My best sales experience on CL has included one word: "FIRM".
That usually shuts off the stupid offers, and most people that make an offer tend to be closer to your asking price.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
One of your challenges is that your trailer is WAY on the nicer end of used Airstreams sold on Craigslist, at least in TX/OK/AR/LA. It's not too unusual for me to read a CL ad for an Airstream and look at the pictures they've offered and think it's probably worth 60% of what they're asking. In one case, before I found the Argosy I did a detailed inspection and was SURE it was overpriced to that degree. I did actually make the offer I thought it was worth (with an explanation of why) and got turned down, but I think it eventually sold a little closer to my offer than his ask.

The other problems outlined above are all applicable. Thick skin would have to be important. Remember that what they're saying to you isn't really "you're selling a piece of crap" it's "I'm a cheap SOB who's trying to get something for nothing."
Ive had a few people even go as far as to send me links of similar trailers as far as size, model, and year.
They say "well I can buy this trailer for much cheaper, if you get down to this range then maybe you will be more serious about selling your RV."

So I take a look at the link they provide and Im like REALLY! Yes no dought its an Airstream, Excella, 90's area, but the ad usually reads:
I dont know what works and what dosent, been sitting for years, sold as is. Then I look at the photo and its all dented up and looks like and abandoned trailer someone threw out into a field.
Im like really I guess you would like to have my for the price they are asking for that one, theres no comparing!

Im trying to be as fair as I can, Im already taking a loss at the price Im asking for mine. Im not out to rip someone off. I know Ill never get back all that I put in it. Im just trying to be reasonable. But seems some of my potential buyers dont see it the same way I do.
Mrs. S says all the time Im just to good hearted. She dosent agree with the asking price I have now. Im not going to give it away but Im willing to work with a serious person.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I've sold a few things on CL and had one trick pulled on me...advertised a car for a really cheap price (I just wanted it GONE) and within a couple of hours the ad was pulled!

It turns out a dude was interested but couldn't get free to come look at it so he reported it as a scam so nobody else would get the jump on him...

He then tried to lowball my 'give it away' price!
FUNNY, pre-computer age (remember when) I had a guy show up to look at a boat, trailer, motor I had for sale. He was first to call on the ad so I gave him first look. It was a "priced for sale" deal.... as in get it out of here - PLEASE price. While he was trying to talk me down, number 2 showed up and waited calmly at the fence so as not to get involved in the attempt to talk me down. When, at last number 2 could take no more he yelled "when he is done looking like a fool I have the cash to pay for the boat right now". The first guy bought it for asking price then promptly drove his truck into the ditch in front of my house, he had never backed up to a trailer before.

I quit selling things from my house after that.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy

FUNNY, pre-computer age (remember when) I had a guy show up to look at a boat, trailer, motor I had for sale. He was first to call on the ad so I gave him first look. It was a "priced for sale" deal.... as in get it out of here - PLEASE price. While he was trying to talk me down, number 2 showed up and waited calmly at the fence so as not to get involved in the attempt to talk me down. When, at last number 2 could take no more he yelled "when he is done looking like a fool I have the cash to pay for the boat right now". The first guy bought it for asking price then promptly drove his truck into the ditch in front of my house, he had never backed up to a trailer before.

I quit selling things from my house after that.
That's hilarious!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Mr. & Mrs. S,

One thing you may want to try is something along the lines of Skype or Magic Jack when you are traveling the globe. I use a Magic Jack which also includes voice mail. All I need when out of the country is Ethernet/WiFi, and I can make and receive calls from my computer or use the hotel phone handset (that is iffy as some countries do not have a US style RJ11 jack on their phone) It is tied to a US number, so whomever is calling me has no idea where I am. I once did an hour conference call from Dublin and no one was the wiser that I wasn't home in GA. I think, but am not sure Skype offers something similar.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
Mr. & Mrs. S,

One thing you may want to try is something along the lines of Skype or Magic Jack when you are traveling the globe. I use a Magic Jack which also includes voice mail. All I need when out of the country is Ethernet/WiFi, and I can make and receive calls from my computer or use the hotel phone handset (that is iffy as some countries do not have a US style RJ11 jack on their phone) It is tied to a US number, so whomever is calling me has no idea where I am. I once did an hour conference call from Dublin and no one was the wiser that I wasn't home in GA. I think, but am not sure Skype offers something similar.
Thanks for the tip, we do have a Skype account and it does offer a phone number and voice mail. Mrs S and I have kinda drifted away from Skype since we both have apple devices which allow us to FaceTime and have better video/audio quality.

I have been accused several times of being an overseas scammer when folks have wanted to meet me directly and I kindly try and explain why I cannot meet with them right now. Some people are very leery now a days due to the high volume of scammers. I can't help what I do, I travel the globe, I try to accommodate them best I can. I've found that this has handicapped me to some extent.
Some people are right now people and this doesn't always work in my favor.