Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Also look for weird sounding sentence structure, or uncommon phrases. It has probably been run through a translator and the poster is really in Nigeria.
Quote:
they're posting titles and photos related to an airstream, but ad copy about various other things they're pretending to sell in order to steal from people. e.g. "1985 Airstream Sovereign $1895" with the photos above of a pretty Sovereign in a warehouse, but ad copy describing a GMC pickup or a Camry. They'd probably make more ill-gotten gains if they weren't so stupid/lazy.
I believe the extraneous copy and garbled text is to trick CL into allowing the same post across multiple sites. Typically you could not post the same ad in NY and in LA. or even Asheville / Charlotte. So they have to change up the copy and they use an automated program to change the copy and they add in the extra copy in order to make it different from the last automated post. There are programs that run auto-posts on CL , but thankfully, they usually are flagged in a matter of 30 min.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

yancey , Texas
Exclamation Airstream Title Jumpers & Tax Cheats

I want to discuss a General Problem for all Airstream buyers and a helpful partial solution. I restore later vintage Airstreams as a hobby and I am always running across sellers that have encumbered titles. Here is a most recent example...the trailer is still on the Vintage Classified Section in the sold unit category right now. I wanted to buy this somewhat rare 87' 31' Excella with a rear Panoramic window...the trailer was located 1200 miles from me. I asked for photos...they sent photos...that revealed serious rivet line dent (two panels) NOT mentioned in the ad. I asked on day one... "Do you have clear, unencumbered title, IN YOUR NAME? No e-mail response from seller. When we finally agreed on a sales price via phone, the seller (not the owners name on the title) told me they were selling for an Aunt (deceased) and The Uncle (in assisted living center)...they had both signed the title document and both were named as owners. I asked if they could furnish valid Bill of Sale...NO was the answer. I asked for e-mail copies of the title front and back to verify it was legitimate/signed, and matched a photo of the VIN on the Airstream Data Plate...waited three days...no copies showed up. The reason, they admitted, was to avoid $500.00 in taxes to legitimately title the trailer in they'er name.
This is called "Title Jumping"...I furnished my states DMV link and checked the rules of they're own state & when I slept on it, even though I am sure they had possession of the Airstream...They were attempting to make me a party to defrauding a Taxing Authority (a State Felony), and once the trailer crosses a state line..Wire fraud (a Federal Offense). I see this quite often. If I had a problem with the trailer title transfer once I got it home...my recourse would be prison. I, of course, after they were less than up-front with me, sent an e-mail declining to complete the transaction, as I would be buying the trailer with a deceased person on the title, another person unavailable in a nursing home, and tax/legal issues surrounding the transaction. I pay my taxes, I title with MY NAME, I register in my name...NEVER TRUST A SELLER THAT CAN NOT ANSWER RIGHT UP FRONT THESE BASIC QUESTIONS IN WRITING...(1)Do you have valid, original, non salvage title IN YOUR NAME? (2) Is The title free of all liens and (or) encumbrances? (3) Is the trailer currently registered with current license plates? (4) Can you furnish a front and back copy of the title and a photo of The Trailer Data Plate? (5) Can you furnish a Simple Bill of Sale? If a potential seller can not do these simple, legal, normal business functions.....RUN FROM THE DEAL, or agree to only go forward with the transaction if the seller remedies the deficiencies. Airstream Forums should require a VIN number, and Title condition...ie Clear Original, Salvage, or "none" check boxes as part of every ad on The Classifieds... I would not have to waist my time with Tax cheats/fraudsters, and you wouldn't either. Conspiring with an unscrupulous or criptic seller puts you at tremendous risk...DO NOT DO IT unless you are willing to face the consequences.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Good advice.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I bought an Air Stream through the Buy-Sell or Trade available here. I looked at the trailer and we agreed to a reasonable price. After I passed over the money, I was given an envelope full of paperwork, owners manual, sales receipt and a tax receipt from the border crossing, showing that they had paid the GST (goods and service tax) on the trailer and another big ticket item. It was bought from a dealer in New York State.
The trailer WASN'T registered in their name! I found out after I paid. (stupid, of me not to have asked before but I never expected this).
Because of the lack of local registration, I couldn't insure over the winter.
I tried to get them to put the registration into their name so I could than transfer into mine but the couple wouldn't because they didn't want to pay the tax.
At one meeting, the woman wanted me to pay their tax to put the trailer into her name, than she would sign it over to me and say I was her brother. This wouldn't work because 1- I am known at the local registrar office and 2- she has a dark complexion ( middle eastern descendent where as I am Irish,).
Finally, after several months of back and forth, I got PO'd and went to the motor vehicle office and told them I wanted to pay my taxes to make the trailer legally mine.
After being at the office for over two hours, and a lot of talking with supervisors, they told me they would take my bill of sale and register the Air Stream in my name but the original paperwork would be turned over to the federal tax office. I didn't care, I just wanted to be able to plate and haul my new to me Air Stream.
Several months later, I got a call, at my work, asking about the bill of sale and failure to pay the proper taxes and duties. I explained what happened and I even had their advertisement showing what was posted for sale. It turned out that the sellers told the Tax investigators that I hired them to pick up the unit in New York and transport it to my home province. My having a copy of their posting helped me in that area.
I found out later that the sellers had taken the unit across the border 18 months earlier and failed to follow through with the required , necessary taxes and paperwork. I heard that they were investigate for other tax evasions and they received a large fine.
So, even when you meet face-to-face, it isn't a guarantee that the sale isn't a scam of some sort.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, what a story! Thanks, Mac.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I see red flags as an email response to my email where the item being sold is not mentioned, a boiler-plate response. I am also suspicious where the responder is a "woman", using a female name. If you are responding to a 'woman', you may feel a woman wouldn't be a scammer.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
A Red flag for me is when there is no phone # to call the person ... If someone really wants to sell something, then why would they not want to talk to people who might be buyers?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

yancey , Texas
Aage, Thanks. I am unsure of how to contact The Website Administrator to forward my simple request to improve The Classifieds and protect all members. I will bet they are still trying to sort out the bugs on the new format, so this may be a good and opportune time to institute the simple inclusions in The Classifieds Postings. Could you forward my ideas to the appropriate parties? (or) Give me a valid link to the powers that be? We need to do this: (1) Require a VIN Number on all listings. (2)Require an answer to this question. Do you have Clear, Original Title, in your name?(3) Is your Title a Salvage and/or Reconditioned Title? Three simple questions would save a lot of honest buyers from a sea of dishonest sellers. Thanks for your consideration of my request. Rancher1
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I kind of worry about supplying the VIN number because a copy of a registration can be made to look valid and help someone steal a trailer and sell it to you.
The scammer needs the VIN number and, in some cases, the plate number to get a "legal" copy of their "lost" registration paper. You respond to what looks like a legal trailer, complete with a "new copy" of a legal registration and pay real money for it. It isn't until you try to legally register your new to you trailer( or whatever you bought) that you find out you lost both the money AND whatever you bought.
The VIN should be supplied in the ad listing but hidden from the public view and ONLY supplied to a valid buyer.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rancher1 View Post
Aage, Thanks. I am unsure of how to contact The Website Administrator to forward my simple request to improve The Classifieds and protect all members. I will bet they are still trying to sort out the bugs on the new format, so this may be a good and opportune time to institute the simple inclusions in The Classifieds Postings. Could you forward my ideas to the appropriate parties? (or) Give me a valid link to the powers that be? We need to do this: (1) Require a VIN Number on all listings. (2)Require an answer to this question. Do you have Clear, Original Title, in your name?(3) Is your Title a Salvage and/or Reconditioned Title? Three simple questions would save a lot of honest buyers from a sea of dishonest sellers. Thanks for your consideration of my request. Rancher1
On behalf of the site team, I wanted to reply to this in the public forum in case it benefits others as well.

We always appreciate constructive input. In general, if you want to direct a message to the site team, there are 3 reliable methods.
-- At the bottom of nearly every page on the site there is a blue bar with a set of links, and the first link is "Contact Us." This sends an email to the admins.
-- At the bottom of the Portal page you'll find a list of the people logged into the site at the moment. Moderators who are logged in are displayed in bold-face type, and you can click on any of the moderators' username and send a private message to one of us.
-- If you feel that what you want to post is of general interest or could use input from other members of the forum AND it's related to the structure or software of the forum, you can post to the "Forum How-Tos & Support" forum.

To be clear: Your post in this thread was on-topic and there is no problem with it at all, but you expressed uncertainty that it would get the attention of the site team. I just wanted to offer you some options for future use if you want to be sure the site team sees any suggestions or concerns you're offering.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rancher1 View Post
Thanks, Rancher1, those are all good ideas, and the Site Team will give them all consideration!

And thanks to David for catching this and forwarding it while I was out.

Aage
Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I never put my phone # on craigs list ads, as I don't want anyone tracing where I live. I will give them my # once I talked to them and they seemed ligit>
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

yancey , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
I kind of worry about supplying the VIN number because a copy of a registration can be made to look valid and help someone steal a trailer and sell it to you.
The scammer needs the VIN number and, in some cases, the plate number to get a "legal" copy of their "lost" registration paper. You respond to what looks like a legal trailer, complete with a "new copy" of a legal registration and pay real money for it. It isn't until you try to legally register your new to you trailer( or whatever you bought) that you find out you lost both the money AND whatever you bought.
The VIN should be supplied in the ad listing but hidden from the public view and ONLY supplied to a valid buyer.
Valid concerns. Scam artitsts are clever indeed. E-Bay Motors has a box for the VIN and Title conditon...ie Salvage, clear, etc, and they are the most successful seller of trailers and vehicles in the world. Providing the VIN allows potential buyers to do a title search and determine if the trailer has ever been in an accident reported to an insurance company or in a police report. With the trailer I just had a problem with...the seller did not furnish me a front and back copy for verification, so forget it. Many of the late 80's trailers with even minimal body panel damage be declared a TOTAL loss by and Insurance Company, due to the high cost of repair, and sell it back to the owner with a Salvage Title, or run it through an auction. Without honest disclosure, you can end up with an uninsurable, unsellable trailer if you pay before seeing the actual title document. I understand your concerns; however, E-Bay would not require the VIN and title disclosure if it was not somewhat effective after many years dominating vehicular sales. (And) E-bay is no great place to securely shop either. A real catch 22. The Classified Forum can do better, we just need to keep coming up with viable ideas. Thx, Rancher 1