Old 02-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Yep, It is what I have used. I know for a fact it is what PeterH used to do his.

I found a sweet deal at a pawn shop recently on a 9.6 with 2 batteries and a charger for 29.00 and it all works. Now I have one for the house and one for the MH!

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brett

Thanks - thats what I figured - and the fact that Peter used one for his skin replacement is really good to hear.

How I've got to decide if I want to buy a cordless drill or a Honda generator.

Hmmmm

Ken J.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:31 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidz71
After running into problems with a Black & Decker badged Dewalt, I bought an 18 v. Makita. That was 3 years ago and both batteries are still going strong even though I use the heck out of it. Best money I ever spent. Last year I did a yahoo shoping search and found a Makita polisher that I have been compounding the trailer with. Also a good investment. I'm sold on Makita.
davidz71 are you saying that DeWalt makes Black & Decker?
or vice-versa?

No telling who makes SearsCraftsmen (changes with each contract sometimes).
Guess I'll eliminate all of those and look at Bosch and Makita.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Makita

Here is the model number of the current version of the Makita cordless I use all the time. The Makita web site calls it
"The Worlds' Most Popular Job site Driver-Drill".

6095DWBE - 9.6V 3/8" Cordless Driver-Drill Kit (2-Speed, Variable Speed, Reversible)
this is the whole kit with two batteries, charger and a case. About $140 new.

This drill is proven to last forever. The batteries are usually cheaper than every other brand. Last time I checked they were about $38.

We have had this drill for years. IT has served us well. This is a tough lightly drill.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Harbour Freight has them for 99.99

Ken J.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Makita.

I boycotte Black and Decker and Dewalt (same ownership). The company is not understanding and actively Harrasses people for selling Yellow drills on Ebay.

Yep you read that right. Buddy had a cheap yellow china drill with a oran trigger, black cord and black chuck that was sold by Harbor Freight. He recieved it as a gift for X-Mas. He had no use for it because he has several drills including floor model drill press.

Put it on Ebay and there was NO refference to Dewalt, The original packaging was visiable and it had not refference as well. He simply listed it as a drill. Dewalt had EBay pull the auction because it was Yellow and they decided he was trying to make people think it was a Dewalt Product. Some how Dewalt also has a Pattent on Black and Yellow tools. I guess Osha standars go out the door with Safety yellow on potential danger items. I Guess I need to Sue Fluke for making my Certified Meter with a yellow housing.

Anyway that's why I will not longer buy their products. Several hundred other online friends feel the same way.

I have been abusing Makita products for close to 18 years in my profession. In particular I use many of their cordless products. The only failures I have EVER had was the switches wearing out after 4-5 years of constant use installing car phones. The swiches are available and the repair is under $25 in most cases. I have had luck clenaing them up and filing the contacts.

I have Makita batteries that are 12 years old that still work acceptably.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
Golly!

Toaster,
I've GOT to get more information. Can't find any reference to a DeWalt boycott on Google.
And that really doesn't sound like something eBay would do, unless the listing was an obvious counterfeit, which you say it isn't.
Do you have any more info?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Golly!

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
Toaster,
I've GOT to get more information. Can't find any reference to a DeWalt boycott on Google.
And that really doesn't sound like something eBay would do, unless the listing was an obvious counterfeit, which you say it isn't.
Do you have any more info?
Pirate 4x4 Center of the Wheeling universe. The guys you see in the magaizines on the news stand....chances are they hang here.

If that link doesn't work then goto www.pirate4x4/forum and search Dewalt and look for posts from "DRM"

Want to learn how to make a rock crawler?...this is the place. There are folks who have designed and built front 4x4 axles and have over $10k EACH in them here and were are talking one off custom 45 spline riffle drilled 300m Billet shafts.

This nutso stuff is my other hobby. Here is how insane the 4x4 hobby is. My 4x4 I bought for $1. Yes ONE U.S. DOLLAR. My front axle ujoints cost $400.00 for the pair (stocks cost $12.00 at Autozone. I got them for free for doing a reveiw ) and they are installed in custom Alloy shafts that are about $600 for the set. LOL

This is the post from David. The actual guy it happend to. It includes responces from Both Ebay and Dewalt.

Fair warning, if you decide to post....Newbies get hazed the first 100 posts here and they are not nice about it at all. The language is sometimes colorful and nothing is taboo. :flipoff2:
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #23
Site Team

, Minnesota
WOW!

I read it but I don't believe it! I would have protested to eBay, but you know that would'nt do any good.
I really liked some of the solutions recommended, like re-posting with a black and white photo.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Drills

The cordless drill is a product of the space age and probably one of the best. You have gotten a lot of mail regarding the best. I have had a bunch and would not be caught dead without 2 or 3. Yes, the batteries go bad, the units get bigger and they continue to work the cross platform units, but the bottom line is keep one charged and ready and in every vehicle you drive. When you have to drill the single hole or drive the phillips scew, you'll like whatever product you have. Have a good one, Don
Old 02-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

I have been using a 14.4 Black and Decker Firestorm for the last few years. I don't really have the opportunity to use the drill often, but whenever I have used it, it's worked great.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
I have a 9.6v Makita that I have had since 1984. Paid about $125.00 then. Today the same 3/8s drill sells for about $140.00. That's one heck of a value.

Mine has given nothing but good service. I replaced the original NiCad batteries with Nickel metal hydride batteries. These required a new charger as well. I got two batteries and the charger from the Makita rep when he was at our local home owners h$ll (Home Depot). The total charge was $50.00! Best deal around!

The drill does a yeomans job routinely. The new batteries are excellent, last longer, and bleed down with no use much slower than the older NiCads. I like the drill so much I recently purchased a Jacobs keyless chuck for it. Wow! does that make changing from a drill bit to a screwdriver bit a piece of cake!

FWIW

Take care
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I just bought a 9.6 Makita on sale for $89 - I think thats a great deal from what I've heard

Ken J.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Glad I saw this Ken.
Where did you find it?
New I presume?
Is it the model mentioned above:
6095DWBE - 9.6V 3/8" Cordless Driver-Drill Kit (2-Speed, Variable Speed, Reversible)