Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Cordless chainsaw

Hello. Anyone have an opinion about a 40V cordless chainsaw please?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Batteries are always an expensive power source???? What model are you looking at? If you are using the battery for other tools then it may be an option?

What/where are you going to use it? Electric chain saws would work within the 100' of your motorhome with an extension cord.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
A Stihl is going to run about $350. If you don't have a battery or battery charger, that's going to be close to another $250.

Is cordless really that necessary?

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
If you're thinking in terms of carrying one just to cut up some downed campsite firewood, an 18v Sawzall or the likes will work well and still be available for many other household chores.

Just a thought.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
$400.00 is the list price - found several on the internet for $350.00 - includes batt. and charger. Batt.s cost $100, extended run cost $150.
Do timber work, would buy if they made a one hand arborist - one hand are much handier in a small saw for small stuff where you don't need two hands to hold smaller saws - other hand for holding the small stuff your working on or holding on to tree if your up in the tree - great for pruning.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
If you're thinking in terms of carrying one just to cut up some downed campsite firewood, an 18v Sawzall or the likes will work well and still be available for many other household chores.

Just a thought.

John
X2
I use a Milwaukee 18v reciprocating (Sawsall) saw, drill combo that works very well.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
$400.00 is the list price - found several on the internet for $350.00 - includes batt. and charger. Batt.s cost $100, extended run cost $150.
Do timber work, would buy if they made a one hand arborist - one hand are much handier in a small saw for small stuff where you don't need two hands to hold smaller saws - other hand for holding the small stuff your working on or holding on to tree if your up in the tree - great for pruning.
No chainsaw is safe for one handed use. It's the potential for kicking, always unpredictable, and the amount of cutting edge exposed that makes it unsafe. On the other hand a reciprocating saw is safe for one handed use with due caution. The kicking is absent or tame, and there is only one dangerous side.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Interesting thoughts. I found a Ryobi 40V 12" blade that, if you can believe the reviews on home depot, seem pretty favorable for under $200 including battery and charger. I don't want to mess with keeping gas, mixing fuel, the noise, etc. I take the 4-wheeler into the woods and want to cut up dead trees into 2' sections for my firering rather than buying from the store. Has a 30 day money-back in case this turns into a folly.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hideaway , Texas
We have an older Ryobi 18 volt chain saw that is just great. Now, you won't be plowing through large trees or anything but for smaller items it really is super handy

We have a wood stove in our house so when we cut up a tree I prefer to use it while the hubby wields the husqvarna and top handled hitachi gas saws. He's had his eye on those 40v Ryobi tools for awhile, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with them.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Broke down and bought one last night from Bailey's - turns out the $350 is for the standard batt. model - $400 for the extended run model.

Big problem for me was the cost of the chain - they only sell the chain now with a new stone included - for $38.00 each. About three times as much as a 14" chain for a normal chainsaw! Way to much (it's like buying a HP printer for $100 and than paying $80 for ink each time you run out).

Normal cost for 14" chain is $9.50 each. So - with the help if the sales guy at Bailey's we found a different bar that fits and will take regular chain for $21 including one chain. also bought 10 chains - don't mind sharping my own chains - it's said that with the built in stone sharpener the chains don't last nearly as long as hand sharpening. Should be here in three days.

Will let you'all know how it works out - after 20 years of chainsaw noise, can't wait for the quiet - wear earplugs, but my ears still 'ring'.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Two good points, battery life and sharp chain. My 18v did a good job when new on all things too big for the lopers. Two years and batteries won't recharge enough to cut more than one 3 inch tree branch. Found 120v electric closer to a real chainsaw but hard to supply 120v by extension cords too far from outlet. You could find an inverter for 12v so it could be powered from the off road vehicle.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Camping I use a $40. 10 inch electric saw. Run off a generator or a large inverter.
Avoid the mess of carrying fuel mix that way.
I wouldn't try to clear acreage, but plenty good enough for cutting campfire wood.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Where you camp they allow visitors to trim vegetation or remove trees and brush?

Heck, even if they did, I'm not there in my TT to do what sounds like work.

Mind you, the OP didn't say it was for travelling, just asked about battery-operated ones in general...
Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Update: Well I got my new battery powered chain saw this Monday - charged it up and started cutting (I didn't use their $40.00 chain w/sharper but bought my own bar and chain ($10.00)). It works very well on small stuff up to about 4" - after that it doesn't have enough power to not bog down. Battery life is about 20 minuets and takes a little over an hour to charge. Will cut bigger stuff if you take the weight off it (the chain), but uses up battery fast. It is much quieter than a gas chain saw - but still noticeable. Don't use on dried hardwood, only green or dry softwood (not enough power).

Option: I would not buy this again. For the $400 you can buy a really good small Sthil - more horsepower and lighter weight. Only benefit is it's quieter (which is why I bought it). You also don't have to worry about leaving it for long periods with gas in it (varnish in carburetor).