Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Consumer Reports Beer Ratings

Never have given Consumer Reports much value in their rating polls beyond appliances and small goods. Especially when it comes to their ratings of cars and trucks.

However, their soon to be released "Beer Ratings" has placed Coors in first place and Corona Lite in last place.

Coors was good maybe forty years ago when they were a small batch brewer, but today I could name a few non-alcoholic beers with more flavor and taste.

Coors Outscores Bud in Consumer Reports

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Who buys any of those beers? Microbrews, please... something in a nice IPA, perhaps. Or since it's winter time, perhaps a stout is in order; a good stout with a ham sandwich and pea soup is excellent.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
anything less than 80 proof clogs up my i v tube.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Like cigarettes, beer can add additives common to the industry without listing, my tastebuds can't taste them but they do give me a headache. Coors is one that is a headache producer, don't know if it is the color added, foamer or head former, defoamer or the added alcohol from other than the brewing process. Most microbrewery beer doesn't, but maybe it is the chickens they have roaming over the grain to eat bugs that gives them a distinct favor advantage.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I went from cheap can beer to bottle beer. I later went with the microbrew beers and now I am back to american bottle beer. MY taste always changes. I usually never have more then three because beer always gives me a headache. I guess I am a light weight.

Brian
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Where to start, I see this going on for many many years to come.

I had the pleasure of attanding a small beer tasting put on by IIRC the Pres. from the Great Lakes Brewing Co. Cleveland OH. My tastes had been awakened that night to the skills of the brewmaster and the FLAVORS of hand crafted micro-brews. I found out that I really enjoyed the depth of a good IPA after that and still seek them to enjoy a satisfying and tasty treat. He finished the evening with their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and a choclate brownie, he was the Pres, he knew what he was doing.

I used to travel a good bit for work and in the evening would often ask for the local products, hit on a few that were worth ordering again. That worked well until one day in St. Louis, I asked for a local beer, the server looked at me kinda strange and rather slowly stated B U D. That day, I passed on that one.

I didn't bother to read the link to CR, I'd only disagree with it anyhow, but me thinks brews must be judged against like brews, you can't put a Porter, Lager and IPA on the table and judge them equally.

And if I'm reaching for an easy to find flavorful cold one Sam Adams does just fine.

Visited Coors in CO years back, got to see the few remaining examples of the old twin push top cans as I mentioned to a guide that I remembered them from my earlier days and a Smokie and the Bandit beer run of Coors all the way back to OH in '76. Also visited G. Heilman in LaCross, Special Export was some nice stuff can't forget Old Style. You guys in WI got a good thing going with your local taverns, beer and a brat thing, I'm jealous. Also had dinner at the Sierra Nevada brewery resturant in Chico CA. also. Sierra is also some fine stuff.

I will list a no thanks to anything cloudy looking or that you have to put fruit in/on it to drink it.

Getting thirsty, me thinks campfire and a Yuengling or so tonight.

Happy New Year guys and gals. Can't wait to see how this one goes.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I grew up in the South Chicago area. Nothing better then a neighborhood tavern where you could get an Italian beef sandwich and a cold beer. I grew up with Old Style and special export. My mom owned a cottage in the northern part of Wisconsin and I remember the Brat's at the tavern. Brat's with mustard and a cold beer. Those are some good memories.

In Georgia we just passed a law where we can get beer on Sundays. Now that is a big deal believe it or not.

Brian
Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's what you're used to, isn't it? Starved of a good British bitter, I make do with (canned) Guinness or something dark from a microbrewery.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
In Georgia we just passed a law where we can get beer on Sundays. Now that is a big deal believe it or not.

Brian
Brain,

You have my neck of the woods beat, Sunday sales are limited to high tourism counties, we are closed on Sundays.

Brats from a local/regional maker are in the micro brew league compared to the vacuum packed stuff we get. My wife's side is Keilbasy fans. One other great sandwich for a brew is a true RUEBEN, still looking for one here. We got some darn good ones at a place on Brookpark Rd in Cleveland, Benny Shapiro's now closed I heard. Also had one downtown Cleveland at Otto Moshers, you need to see inside this theater district legend. You current Clevelander's can update us on its status.

Fire is lit, time to hit fridge.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Like cigarettes, beer can add additives common to the industry without listing, my tastebuds can't taste them but they do give me a headache. Coors is one that is a headache producer, don't know if it is the color added, foamer or head former, defoamer or the added alcohol from other than the brewing process. Most microbrewery beer doesn't, but maybe it is the chickens they have roaming over the grain to eat bugs that gives them a distinct favor advantage.
It wouldnt surprise me if high fruitcose corn syrup is in some name brand american beer...
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
In stead of dissing beers, as each is liked by someone, name the ones you do like so that maybe a list forms of ones to try.

Porter - Sierra Nevada Porter, Real Ale Coffee Ported (Blanco TX)
IPA - Red Hook IPA, Stone IPA
Pilsner - Pislsner Urqel, Victory Prima Pills
Stout - Stone Aragant Bastard (not really a stout)
Belgiem - Duvall, Orval, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
RATED THE BEST BEER IN THE WORLD....CHIMAY (BLUE LABEL)

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A. - Baileux (Chimay), Belgium - BeerAdvocate
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Bud. Or if im short on cash Old Milwaukie. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
In stead of dissing beers, as each is liked by someone, name the ones you do like so that maybe a list forms of ones to try.

Porter - Sierra Nevada Porter, Real Ale Coffee Ported (Blanco TX)
IPA - Red Hook IPA, Stone IPA
Pilsner - Pislsner Urqel, Victory Prima Pills
Stout - Stone Aragant Bastard (not really a stout)
Belgiem - Duvall, Orval, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale
I'll have to look for the Real Ale Coffee from Blanco. Never heard of it.

I am a very big fan of Porters. One I highly recommend, but is difficult to find, is Sinebrychoff Porter. Made in Finland. Go figure. Anyway, tried it a beer bar in Seattle, had 2 more, and then didn't find it again until 2 years later at a store in Chicago, where I obviously bought out their stock.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I'll have to look for the Real Ale Coffee from Blanco. Never heard of it.

I am a very big fan of Porters. One I highly recommend, but is difficult to find, is Sinebrychoff Porter. Made in Finland. Go figure. Anyway, tried it a beer bar in Seattle, had 2 more, and then didn't find it again until 2 years later at a store in Chicago, where I obviously bought out their stock.
Real Ale Coffee Porter may be seasonal, and now is the season. We had a keg at the recent non rally/rally in Blanco TX. Surprisingly good!!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Beer city USA 3 years running

It is hard to say which one beer is the best.Unless you are brewing your own beer, you can never be sure what goes into your favorite brew. It is great to live in Beer City USA. Not only do we have great locally brewed beer, we have some of the most active home brew associations. They are very helpful and always willing to share some secrets to a great brew. For the winter brewed up two batches. One is an Irish Red the other is a Belgian Triple. I tend to like Ales. the triple had 6lbs of ferment-able sugars including 1 lbs of Belgian rock candy. It brewed out at about 11% so great for a dark winter evening.

If you happen to find yourself in this area do a little research before you arrive. We have plenty of great adventures including the Asheville Brews cruse. Asheville Brews Cruise

I am willing to make recommendations as long as you invite me.

In case you were wondering how the cities ranked this past year. check out the votes below.
beer city usa 2011 | Ask Asheville Blog

The Top Ten BeerCity USA 2011
  1. Asheville, NC 7,002 46.68%
  2. San Diego, CA 2,374 15.83%
  3. Portland, OR 1,495 9.97%
  4. Bend, OR 821 5.47%
  5. St. Louis, MO 549 3.66%
  6. Milwaukee, WI 391 2.61%
  7. Philadelphia, PA 366 2.44%
  8. Seattle, WA 336 2.24%
  9. San Francisco/Oakland - Bay Area, CA 320 2.13%
  10. Chicago, IL 287 1.91%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-19_12-06-53_956.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	147930  

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I still laugh at you Guys who use lime on their Coronas. Having been raised and lived on the South Border....as all who have, we know that lime was always used with cheap Mexican beer....it kills the crappy taste.
On a layover in Canada one time I met and had a few beers with an interesting fellow. He was the Canadian inspector of Hops and Grains that were to be used in the brewing of Canadian beers. He had one explicit warning.....do NOT drink the dark beers. After his description of the contents and production....NEVER AGAIN. By the way....even as a Canadian he said that Coors had the best quality control.
I still love beers and ales...and drink 'em all.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Beer - Comfort Food

Ah! Beer. What a lovely subject.

Once upon a time my pals and I would load the baggage pod of a jet to haul cases of Coors from the West Coast to anywhere east of the Rockies. Pals in the East would kill for Coors. Those days are long gone both for availability and for quality.

On cruise in the Far East what could beat Sapporo, Asahi or Kirin? Where else in the world could you find a beer machine on a street corner? Put in a few coins and ka-chunk! Here's your beer. Sweet!

Tsing Tao in Hong Kong? Hong Kong has been one of the great international cities for too long but why not have a Tsing Tao? Then cruise over to any pub and have any beer from anywhere in the world.

Thailand has its Singha and others. When the humidity is at one hundred per cent there is nothing better than a Singha.

Singapore has its Tiger Beer and the hottest curry I've eaten outside of London. Once upon a time the best dim sum in the world was at the Cold Storage Car Park. Push carts were rolled into a night market in the parking lot ("car park") of the cold storage building. Somehow Tiger Beer was the best beer in the world at that moment. Satay was served in a park called, oddly enough, the Satay Club. Push cart vendors had been rounded-up and forced to work in little stands in the park where lovely satay was served. (Cleanliness, dontcha know. Ain't a police state great?) Heinekin was available but why have a Dutch beer in Singapore?

OK - because it's a great beer, too. Heinekin in Singapore. Heinekin in the Philippines. Heinekin just about anywhere where "it only costs a little more to go First Class".

I've had curry in Delhi but for some reason Singapore's seemed hotter. The glass of Tiger Beer was the difference between life and death. I have no idea what beer we had in India but I was really grateful for that glass of suds.

While in the Far East why not stop in for a Fosters in Perth? The stories were true! A little old lady tottered up to me on the bus - I was in uniform as we had been advised - and thanked me for the Battle of the Coral Sea. Nowhere on earth will the Fosters taste better.

I've drunk Stella in Italy in a fit of foolishness. Why would anybody drink beer in Italy but for a wave of homesickness? Italian beer - apologies to our dear friends in Italy - is a poor substitute for almost any wine in Italy, although at the bottom end of the wine spectrum it might be more pleasant to drink gasoline. I once saw a Cinque Cento pull up to a wine store with the back seat full of a huge plastic bottle. The driver leaped out and filled the bottle through the back window from what looked like a gas pump. Whew!

How 'bout a Guiness in the Gulf Hotel in Manama, Bahrain? The Guiness is great although it would be better in Ireland. It's the matter of sitting next to a fellow wearing a towel for a hat having a "religeously prohibited beverage" because it can't be had across the causeway in Saudi. Of course if you live in a dry county in Mississippi you learn your bootlegger is also your minister.

In Egypt I've also drunk Stella - why? The water is plentiful but it's better to follow the British model. Drink any booze over any water. It will work out better for you.

In Tel Aviv I recall a hotel where Happy Hour began at 4:30pm - and didn't end. The staff were aghast when we didn't leave - and why should we? Another place where the beer went unnoted. No surprise there.

Pakistan offers Murree Beer - not bad. The rules about water in Egypt apply but Murree Beer in any hill station can sooth the parched taste better than 'most anything.

Beer in England - heaven! As most already know, "room temperature" means a v-e-r-y cool room. "I'll have a pint o'bitter, please," begins a wonderful afternoon punctuated with pub food that may not be haute cuisine but can't be duplicated - anywhere. For my taste a plowman's comes second to a pasty, and the name on the beer is unimportant. How large is an Imperial pint? Two swallows more than the average American can drink comfortably.

Ireland and Guiness sit close to the right hand of God. A perfect "priest's collar" and a plate of the finest stew on the planet. Why go home? Why not stay and raise a family?

Home to the US where Sam Adams led the wave of "I'm not a Budweiser" before the brew pubs took off. Have you tried a Yeungling? How 'bout "Schmidts of Philadelphia - one beautiful beer". Pittsburgh and Iron City? My favorite would be just about anything from Flying Dog Brewery although if you bought the round I'll smile and drink a Bud.

So with a palate formed by jet fuel I'll never be anybody's gourmet. That said, the beer seems to match its surroundings. Perhaps beer MUST match its surroundings. It's a wonderful pastime to discuss the merits of various beers, much like it's a great pastime to review the "best" tow vehicles or camp sites. When it comes to the moment the best beer may just be the one you have now.

What is beer? Comfort food, indeed.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Having spent 12 years in Europe, (nine in Germany) I would have to say that beers, their flavors and aromas, are some of the most interesting things in the world to me. My all time favorite beer is PAULANER Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrub.
What a lovely discussion! Happy New Year to you all!
Prosit!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I too spent a lot of time in the late 60's on the south side of the border and remember a cold can of Tecate with a salted rim and a lime. But was also told that the slice of lime served with a bottle of beer was to keep the flies from crawling down to get a drink. And it works.

Now, living in Colorado, there are just too many microbrews and seasonal beers too keep up with them all. We have 6 micros in Durango alone and it's nice to be able to stop in and pick up a couple a growlers to go. Plus, the stores here stock micros from all over the country. I'm doing my best to to try and test them all and stay out of rehab.

If you are true beer aficionados, plan on a trip to Denver for the annual Beer Festival, it's one of the largest.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote