Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Considering an entry Level A/S

Hello Airstreamers.

In a few months I will be getting my first travel trailer and I have always imagined Airstreaming. I am 61 and will be retiring in a few years, I am into astronomy and want to get to distant places, I have a nearly new Toyota 4Runner I bought specifically so that I could safely tow 5,000 pounds, and I want to do all that in style.

My budget is about $35k and I am considering the Base Camp (which I really don't like), a Bambi, or something of similar size. I am perfectly OK with an older one (not vintage) that I can refurbish as long as no structural damage has been experienced.

I am not sure if I should just go to a dealer for the used ones or if I should be looking to buy from a private party. And I am sure there is a lot more that I don't know, so I would really appreciate any input anyone might have.

Thanks

Farzad
Farzad_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - with a GVWR of 3500# for a 16' Bambi, you might do well to search for a slightly used one as new they're about $50K so I'd imagine a 5 year old model might be in your range. More likely with a private seller than a dealer but it doesn't hurt to get a good relationship with a dealer if you can.

One suggestion I'd make is to reach out to a local WBCCI unit and talk with folks there. They will likely be helpful on lots of issues and may know of trailers for sale within the unit.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Definitely go to a dealer with a big inventory and spend a lot of time in all the smaller trailers you like. Sit at the table lie on the bed, see if you can close the door while seated on the toilet - important if you have company.

Contact local WBCCI chapter and meet and learn so you can spot a Turkey as well as a deal.

Heresy now. Consider a Casita or Oliver or an A-frame for your first one. Lower entry price and great trade in value. Some people hate RVing and only find out after blowing big bucks. Test the water first
Old 07-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Definitely go to a dealer with a big inventory and spend a lot of time in all the smaller trailers you like. Sit at the table lie on the bed, see if you can close the door while seated on the toilet - important if you have company.

Contact local WBCCI chapter and meet and learn so you can spot a Turkey as well as a deal.

Heresy now. Consider a Casita or Oliver or an A-frame for your first one. Lower entry price and great trade in value. Some people hate RVing and only find out after blowing big bucks. Test the water first

I definitely appreciate the advice. I have looked into the models you have suggested and they look promising except for the A-frame which is just too small. Given your recommendation I think I will rent a few times to see if I really want to do this or not. I am going to visit an RV dealer tomorrow.

Farzad
Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi - with a GVWR of 3500# for a 16' Bambi, you might do well to search for a slightly used one as new they're about $50K so I'd imagine a 5 year old model might be in your range. More likely with a private seller than a dealer but it doesn't hurt to get a good relationship with a dealer if you can.

One suggestion I'd make is to reach out to a local WBCCI unit and talk with folks there. They will likely be helpful on lots of issues and may know of trailers for sale within the unit.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Farzad
Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
....your thoughts - for the answer?

Your givens:
A. "I am into astronomy and want to get to distant places."
B. "61 years old near retirement."
C. Toyota 4Runner
D. "Really don't like Basecamp."
E. Price point $35k
F. "I've always imagined Airstreaming."

Solution: Go for it,....new/late model Bambi Sport to get to those distant places right away; when you own it....you get to know it...and lots of possibilities for naming ie. Galileo, Copernicus,....Luna. And if it doesn't work out - sell it and the difference is still cheaper than most "vacation packages".
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Here you go.

https://www.colonialairstream.com/pr...j-bambi/#11300
Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jftompkins View Post
Your givens:
A. "I am into astronomy and want to get to distant places."
B. "61 years old near retirement."
C. Toyota 4Runner
D. "Really don't like Basecamp."
E. Price point $35k
F. "I've always imagined Airstreaming."

Solution: Go for it,....new/late model Bambi Sport to get to those distant places right away; when you own it....you get to know it...and lots of possibilities for naming ie. Galileo, Copernicus,....Luna. And if it doesn't work out - sell it and the difference is still cheaper than most "vacation packages".
Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence. In the past few days I have been looking at these fiberglass mode campers and they also will do but somehow they are not much cheaper than the A/S unless you get the "cheaper" models.

Farzad
Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Thanks a lot
Old 07-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing that has not been addressed above:

A lot of us go shopping with a vehicle that *might* tow a TT already. We limit our search to small / lightweight designs. Ultimately the decision is made that fitting in something small will not work. (Yes, we went through that loop a few billion times over the years).

The other way to go is to decouple the two decisions. Figure out what trailer makes sense and that you can live with long term. (trading every two years ....yikes ...). If there is rebuild work involved, evaluate the time required to do it right. ( = it could be weeks, it could be months or years).

Once you have an idea of the trailer size, look at your vehicle. Most of us don't keep cars / trucks forever and ever. There is a trade in cycle. How does that fit with the trailer timing? How does a larger vehicle fit in your trade in process? What is the cost and daily driving implications of something bigger?

None of this is saying you *need* a giant trailer. It's also not trying to sell you a brand new F-350 dually diesel with every option in the book. Simply it's trying to look at this as two halves of the same decision.

One would *hope* that an AS will be in the family much longer than the typical family car. That does not mean a decision process that considers the tow first is bad, only that it may not be the perfect way to look at things.

Lots of variables, lots of ways to loop and loop and loop forever ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing that has not been addressed above:

A lot of us go shopping with a vehicle that *might* tow a TT already. We limit our search to small / lightweight designs. Ultimately the decision is made that fitting in something small will not work. (Yes, we went through that loop a few billion times over the years).

The other way to go is to decouple the two decisions. Figure out what trailer makes sense and that you can live with long term. (trading every two years ....yikes ...). If there is rebuild work involved, evaluate the time required to do it right. ( = it could be weeks, it could be months or years).

Once you have an idea of the trailer size, look at your vehicle. Most of us don't keep cars / trucks forever and ever. There is a trade in cycle. How does that fit with the trailer timing? How does a larger vehicle fit in your trade in process? What is the cost and daily driving implications of something bigger?

None of this is saying you *need* a giant trailer. It's also not trying to sell you a brand new F-350 dually diesel with every option in the book. Simply it's trying to look at this as two halves of the same decision.

One would *hope* that an AS will be in the family much longer than the typical family car. That does not mean a decision process that considers the tow first is bad, only that it may not be the perfect way to look at things.

Lots of variables, lots of ways to loop and loop and loop forever ....

Bob
Thanks, Bob. My case is simple: I already have a vehicle that I like and I know the kind and size travel trailer that I want. My vehicle maybe getting to the "trade-in" age with about 29k miles on it, and when the time comes, I will get another one just like it. It is rated for 11k pounds which means I can haul 5k pounds easily; not that I would.

Farzad
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are getting close to trade in *and* are thinking about a trailer - get the full trailer package on the next vehicle. Do that even if you don't buy a trailer this time around. Brake controller and mirrors are the biggies. You can put both on after the fact. It's much easier to do it with a check box when you are picking a new (to you) vehicle.

Bob
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzad_k View Post
Thanks, Bob. My case is simple: I already have a vehicle that I like and I know the kind and size travel trailer that I want. My vehicle maybe getting to the "trade-in" age with about 29k miles on it, and when the time comes, I will get another one just like it. It is rated for 11k pounds which means I can haul 5k pounds easily; not that I would.

Farzad
A quick Google search says your 4Runner is rated to tow 5000 lbs. Not sure where you’re coming up with 11K.

My F250 is rated to tow 12,300. Maybe your 11K number is GCWR.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Be very careful of any single number "I can tow this much" evaluation. It never turns out to be an easy single number sort of thing. The trailer tongue puts a load on the TV. We toss our rock collection in the back of the TV. The vehicle we bought has a sticker on it that tells a different story than the marketing brochure .... all sorts of nonsense ...

Bob
Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Be very careful of any single number "I can tow this much" evaluation. It never turns out to be an easy single number sort of thing. The trailer tongue puts a load on the TV. We toss our rock collection in the back of the TV. The vehicle we bought has a sticker on it that tells a different story than the marketing brochure .... all sorts of nonsense ...

Bob
Bob,

I don't know how you are getting an impression of me as a being mindless. I don't know what your travel habits are, but I assure you I am a very well educated person and I have no intention of carrying random rocks and mindlessly loading the RV with things that would suddenly overload the towing capacity. I thoughtfully selected my 4 Runner in 2016 with the intention of eventually hauling a trailer of about 5,000 pounds and again I assure you I did my homework and did not do this mindlessly.

Stop worrying and enjoy your RV experience. And I have all the answers that I need regarding the RV that I am looking for. I do appreciate your input.