Old 03-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Connection dropping?

There were some posts about connections to this site dropping while trying to post, especially if a long post was in process. One solution that was suggested and seemed to help is doing the following:

Since the other thread rambled quite a bit, I have replaced it with this info...hope it will help if you are finding that you have been dropped while trying to post, or load photos.
Thanks to Rog for the suggestion.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Alan, I just noticed that the info you refer to is missing. But since it won't apply to this new interface, you might want to edit or delete this sticky thread.

Rog

Old 04-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Intellectual Ethics

Rog0 this move by Alan confused me when I first read it. I'm still confused.

How would you possibly remember what thread Alan tossed out or the particulars within that thread? I don't ?

Also I am not sure that connection drops has been eliminated by the new update. I just had one this morning here. Don't know if it was my computer or something with the forum. Seems I remember posting to a thread because I was having just that problem, and it had something to do with cookies being enabled.
Do we no longer have that cookie enabling choice?

Alan said he replaced a thread because it rambled.......well maybe (just guessing) some of the ramble had value to some of us as well.
Does replace mean he deleted some other thread?
Have we a new policy that all rambling threads will be axed and Alan will paraphrase for all the ramblers as well as the pre-rambling posters.

With all due respect I'd personally prefer to speak for myself. And as long as my posts are not obscene or hateful (selectively allowed here depending on who you are and who you aim hate at unfortunately IMHO), or otherwise out of line with the agreed policies I would expect Alan to not carte blanche decide to just wipe them out. Alan being a former/current musician I would think he would certainly understand intellectual property should never be tampered with just for something to do.

Now if I misunderstand what Alan says he did, and he just posted an additional thread to "clarify" the group that "could not make themselves clear"
or that "could not stay on a subject" in a manner to Alan's approval. That would be a whole different and acceptable situation.
Did I misread something here? If so excuse me.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Jaco, must you be so sarcastic?

I remember the image that is now missing because I posted it. I didn't say I remember verbatim all of the particulars in the thread that was "tossed out".
Alan did exactly the right thing IMHO because some of the posts were complicated, lengthy and misleading.
I believe he was simply trying to simplify the issue. He certainly wasn't censuring anyone.
One of the two threads I remember on this topic is still alive. See LOGGED IN.....DROPPED OFF.
The thread which was deleted was lengthy and redundant and I think some of the posted info was incorrect.
Jaco, maybe you want to waste time in reading long redundant threads but I'm sure that most of us do not.
I think the moderators are doing a fine job. You have the right to disagree.
I don't know if disabling cookies is still an option or not. I'm being patient like Andy asked while the bugs or shortcomings in the new software are worked out.

Rog
Old 04-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I remember the image that is now missing because I posted it. I didn't say I remember verbatim all of the particulars in the thread that was "tossed out".
Alan did exactly the right thing IMHO because some of the posts were complicated, lengthy and misleading.
I believe he was simply trying to simplify the issue. He certainly wasn't censuring anyone.
One of the two threads I remember on this topic is still alive. See LOGGED IN.....DROPPED OFF.
The thread which was deleted was lengthy and redundant and I think some of the posted info was incorrect.
Jaco, maybe you want to waste time in reading long redundant threads but I'm sure that most of us do not.
I think the moderators are doing a fine job. You have the right to disagree.
I don't know if disabling cookies is still an option or not. I'm being patient like Andy asked while the bugs or shortcomings in the new software are worked out.

Rog

Rog0 we will always disagree on this subject of tampering with otherwise "legal" words of others. But I take no offense at your not agreeing with me. I hope it is always done friendly between us .

But common sense dictates that I have no idea of what others choose to read nor should I. It is no ones business how I choose to "waste my time" as you put it. There is lots of useless(IMHO) info and chatter on these forums IMHO, I read some of it in amazement, but I will defend anyones option to post it there. Obvioulsy most of it is replied to, so it "aint useless" to everyone. It never enters my mind to have any of it removed that is not a personal attack on others. And even those have to be carefully looked at sometimes being not attacks but good natured jabs & jibes.
If someone takes the time to put it on the forum within the rules and does not (as you just did) encourage it (their own only) to be removed, then it should not be tampered with IMHO. I know they have the perogative, but how could Alan or anyone else know what just may be of interest to me or to each member here. He doesn't.
Occasionally folks post things (solutions, steps to take, directions, etc) that are just plain wrong. When I come to one I generally try to post that I think they have made a mistake.(Depending on my thought of the consequence of some other following and hurting something or someone.) If it was life threatning IMHO I would say so and alert the staff.
We live in a day when the history books are constantly being revised and the actual facts of almost everything is being tampered with. Pictures are faked and morphed, music is pirated, people are misquoted, Senators lie, governors lie, journalists lie, priests lie, pastors lie, school teachers lie, business men cheat and lie, almost every one lies and cheats in one way or another.
Nothing is as it appears, nothing can really be trusted, some Big Brother always knows better and now has the technology to think for all of us....
Good men's character is assassinated as a matter of course, no big deal.
I am by nature an Archivist, I like to see things preserved. Words mean Something to me...ALL of THEM. When I misspeak on this forum and others I go back and correct my words with an EDIT usually.
If you are fair you will not brand me as WRONG because I question politely something done by a Moderator. Many line up like sheep and pay homage and agree with ALL that others do. The reasons for that are many but we all understand the more likely reasons, to curry favor like bringing the teacher an apple. To those I say suits me, that is their option, I appreciate Rog0 that you allow me my option to think and act otherwise.

Thanks
jaco
Old 04-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Thumbs down Much ado about nothing

Jaco, I simply noticed an omission on a sticky thread and notified the author.
If you wish to turn that simple post into a diatribe about distrust, censorship or abuse of power, I guess you have that right.
But I gotta tell you that if this was a tv "Survivor" episode, I'd be voting you off the island at the next council.

Rog
Old 04-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Jaco,

From the forum policies:

We don't intend to censor messages based on the opinions expressed within those posts, but we will enforce the policies outlined herein. We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation. If you have any questions, please ask the administrator

We take the "be polite" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive will receive one warning (at our discretion), and if the member offends again the member will be banned without warning.

Finally, any abuse towards our staff and/or management will result in immediate suspension of your account.

Reader/Member Beware:
The opinions expressed in the forums are those of the members and do not necessarily reflect those of AirstreamForums.com, the moderators, management or owners. We are not responsible or liable in any way for advice that is given in the forums. BEWARE, the advice you receive reflects the opinions of the member(s) and may lead to property damage or result in a potentially hazardous situation. REMEMBER: Opinions, advice and all other information expressed by participants in discussions are those of the author. You rely on such information at your own risk.
__________________________________________________ _____________

If you want to be sure that everything you post lives on forever create your own blog or forum so you can control it. The Moderators have been given the responsibility to not only enforce the forum policies but also to make changes to the forum as they see fit. If that means removing a thread or a post that is no longer applicable then we will.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Jaco...
...I gotta tell you that if this was a tv "Survivor" episode, I'd be voting you off the island at the next council.
I'm ready to vote him off, too.