Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you want to turn off some nonessential programs in a non-destructive manner, you can use the "msconfig" option. Thios will te4mporarily turn off programs that would normally load when Windows starts up, and run in the background.
To do this, click "start", then "run" then type in "msconfig". A window will open with three tabs. You can alter the programs on the second two tabs, by unchecking them. When you have turned off all the stuff you want, click "save", then windows will restart. When it is done, and restarts, check "do not open msconfig", and see how the computer works. If you mess something up, all you have to do is go to "msconfig" again, and check the box you want to run. That way you can selectively start programs without loading the world.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
All these suggestions about what folks might do to make their Windows computers behave nicely are a reminder of the two different approaches the OS vendors take toward customers. Quite clearly Microsoft thinks its customers are geeks or have some burning desire to become a geek, thus the access allowed/required to low level functions in the OS just to tweak the system. Contrast that with Apple's OS that just gets things done with little or no knowledge of the computer's innards required.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
All these suggestions about what folks might do to make their Windows computers behave nicely are a reminder of the two different approaches the OS vendors take toward customers. Quite clearly Microsoft thinks its customers are geeks or have some burning desire to become a geek, thus the access allowed/required to low level functions in the OS just to tweak the system. Contrast that with Apple's OS that just gets things done with little or no knowledge of the computer's innards required.
To some extent not only is it possible to be able to tweak under Mac OS's hood as it were - the underpinnings of which are based on open source UNIX - the ultimate playground of "geeks" far and wide - but it is also necessary. We have over 200 Macs in our department alone at the college I work for, and Apple's approach to "let everyone do everything completely all the time" gives us headaches while trying to keep the systems consistent across the board. Fortunately there are ways to limit the damage that people unwittingly do, and this requires more than your general "drag and drop, plug 'n play" type of knowledge. Personally, I think Apple's getting in over its head trying to run the Microsoft OS. I think it's little more than a gimmick, and will be a short-lived thing. Right now Apple seems more interested in seeing how fast it can churn out new operating systems for new hardware, which won't run on earlier versions of OS X, even when the version difference is an incremental one. The major software manufacturers no sooner come out with a new version, than Apple's gone ahead and released a new rev that may or may not turn out to be fully supported. Applications written specifically for the Intel Mac are having trouble keeping pace (Adobe's CS 3 won't even be out until May) everything else runs in Rosetta emulation or in some cases, not at all. With Apple moving so fast, who is going to be motivated to attempt to write Mac hardware drivers for Microsoft operating systems?

Apple makes a slick product, and I like it very much. But it's trying to be TOO much. As an IT professional it is frustrating to try and use a product that can't seem to figure out where it is, and what it's trying to be. It's great to be on the bleeding edge of innovation, but you can't effectively do business there. If they aren't careful they're going to outpace conventional business entirely, and end up where they were 20 years ago, in a niche market.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Dave,

As CIO of a subsidiary of a global bank, I would have gladly traded the millions and millions of dollars we spent on maintenance of Windows boxes for Macs. I had the only Mac in the company and never, never required maintenance. No spam, no viruses, no trojan horses, nothing.

It is easy to lock down Macs with OS X, if you like. Had we placed a higher value on getting work done rather than conforming to "dominant" operating system, we would have pushed more money to the bottom line from reduced costs and greater productivity.

I'm glad to be retired now and free to chose what is best for me rather than what is best for IT. If you ask the end user what computer he or she would prefer, I'm quite confident of the response. It would not break down 95% Dell and 5% Mac. Both can work in a corporate environment if only the IT hierarchy would allow it to happen. The customer should come first, IMHO.

Cheers,
Mike

PS There is an interesting comparison of OSes by the CIO of Harvard Medical School in the CIO mag website, if you are interested. http://www.cio.com/advice_opinion/in..._review_1.html

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Interesting reading. I enjoy the difference of opinion between IT professionals, especially when the subject of OS/platforms comes along. Can we just agree that Wintel and Apple have two completely different philosophies concerning the way a personal computer should operate? Notice the use of lower case in the last statement. Just for the record, as a home user, as much as I would love to move to the relatively care-free world of Apple computing, I canít afford to purchase 4 or 5 Apples to replace my Wintel machines. This would seem to be Appleís chief problem, expense. And just for the record, I would not purchase a Dell machine because I donít like the politics of Michael Dell. But, thatís just an opinion.

Now, to the more salient point. Has Chaplain Kent been able to solve his particular problem? Perhaps one of the many IT professional here could offer to open a chat session with him and walk him thru a few things? For what itís worth, CK, Iíd dump the Norton first and replace it with freeware from Kim Komandoís site. That is exactly what I did after paying for Norton a fews years back. Norton software has evolved into the same nightmare as Windows, bloated junk that is mostly unnecessary and a true resource hog.

Just my 2 copeks.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
No spam, because you have a mac? oooh. thats a trick I'd like to see....

Ok, ya got me on the spyware/malware, etc...I don't know how "regular" non-geek home users can stand it, myself. I have a hard enough time keeping up with it, and its my job. But I will say, I don't waste too much time on it. If I can't fix it in short order..."poof". I push a button on my systems management platform, and in 15 minutes, the machine is "like new", formatted with a new image. I'm not aware of any such utility with a mac. wish there was, because as good as the spiel all sounds with macs being fool-proof and all...well, I guess you ain't met my fools. they're plenty capable of thoroughly boogering up a mac, quicker than you can say "steve jobs".
Mac may be a fine corporate platform if you're a small shop, widget maker, or otherwise never have to collaborate with the rest of the world. Thats a most likely scenario with a "lone-wolf" type home user. but many of us are bound by other application dependancies, and believe me, there are such things as programs that will not run on a mac.

I'll tell ya what really saddens me, though, is the amount of brain-power that is devoted to screwing up other people's computers (malware, spam, etc). what a waste of human potential. I mean, sure, there's bad guys everywhere...but now, there's also an army of "good guy" anti-spam/anti-virus/anti-malware people that are spending so much brain power to counter this filth, when they could be doing something usefull...like coming up with a tortion axle that never needs balancing, or a 0-emission tow vehicle. stuff that would truly benefit mankind.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
No spam, because you have a mac? oooh. thats a trick I'd like to see....

Ok, ya got me on the spyware/malware, etc...I don't know how "regular" non-geek home users can stand it, myself. I have a hard enough time keeping up with it, and its my job. But I will say, I don't waste too much time on it. If I can't fix it in short order..."poof". I push a button on my systems management platform, and in 15 minutes, the machine is "like new", formatted with a new image. I'm not aware of any such utility with a mac. wish there was, because as good as the spiel all sounds with macs being fool-proof and all...well, I guess you ain't met my fools. they're plenty capable of thoroughly boogering up a mac, quicker than you can say "steve jobs".
Mac may be a fine corporate platform if you're a small shop, widget maker, or otherwise never have to collaborate with the rest of the world. Thats a most likely scenario with a "lone-wolf" type home user. but many of us are bound by other application dependancies, and believe me, there are such things as programs that will not run on a mac.

I'll tell ya what really saddens me, though, is the amount of brain-power that is devoted to screwing up other people's computers (malware, spam, etc). what a waste of human potential. I mean, sure, there's bad guys everywhere...but now, there's also an army of "good guy" anti-spam/anti-virus/anti-malware people that are spending so much brain power to counter this filth, when they could be doing something usefull...like coming up with a tortion axle that never needs balancing, or a 0-emission tow vehicle. stuff that would truly benefit mankind.
Oops, I'm so used to having no infections on my Macs that I tend to lump all maladies together and forget to be precise about the terms. Sure spam happens, but that's what the delete key is for.

Knock on wood, but I've had Macs ever since the first 128K Mac and have been on the internet since 1993 starting with Mosaic and have been connected to our office networks since day one, and have never, never had a virus or any other type of infection. Never, nada, nothing. Formatting with a new image is just something DOS folks get used to, I suppose. The rest of us just carry on without having to call in the techies.

Lastly, with virtualization now, it is accurate to say that more software runs on Macs than on any other platform. Can you really think of any app that won't? You can't say that about the Windoze platform that can't even run fun stuff like iLife.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
_

. , .
hi ck...

we need to get this memory issue solved,

so i can comment on the max-tel/win-tel issue...

the posts from wabbiter and coriolis1 and stef and janet are useful...

if you understand what they've written.

512 is not much ram for this video card so that's an issue.

winxp doesn't like excess 'avaiable ram' unused,
so it prefentially uses it for many things...
likes to fill up ram 2!

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

that means feed it a bigger chip!

sure there may be lots running in the background or strored in ram...just in case.

and word and wordperfect may be culprits. here surprizingly

as ram fillsup,
the virtualization over on the hard drive kicks in, and is slower by far.

norton is resource intensive too, but i like it and leave almost the full package running. just be careful about creating too many rules for low threat items....spybot for example is viewed as a thread by norton. every time it loads or tries to sweep becomes an issue.

clear all your caches and other explorer hold ons, cookies, web histories and so on....

but none of the above, will help you very much....

so do 3 things......

1. google 'free ram in window' and read the 5-6 first hits. there will be explainationa about how ram is used and
software products that may or may not help ya

2. go to a microcenter or computer city or any retail store with 'geeks'
buy 30 minutes of their time to inspect and correct issues on your laptop, while you watch and ask question....
the questions will slow them down so choose wisely.

3.once they've solved the current problem (30-60minutes) and 50$ later....
buy a memory chip and have them install. 1gig at least adn 2 if ya can affordi it....

now your problems will be all over..........for less than 200bucks...

for awhile. and we can fix'em again then....

cheers
2air'

so hurry up and get this done, report back all is well....so we can REALLY get into this wintelmactel thing

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 6000 lap top. There is 512 MB of memory installed but now I only have 160MB left. This computer is basically a word processing machine, no games. The only programs I have loaded are The Rand Mcnally Trip Maker and Street Finder, Microsoft Word, and Word-perfect (Yes, I use both of them.) When I received the machine I took off all of the Dell advertising programs and games which were preloaded. There is Norton Security which is set at high levels for everything. My old computer had 256 MB of memory with the same programs and I never had a problem with memory. I ran the disk cleanup and frag utilities but still have not gained any memory back. Spy-bot says I have nothing to clean. The computer has slowed down to turtle status. Do any of you gurus have an idea of what could be happening?
I realize others have already chimed in here, but here's my .02
NORTON , NORTON , NORTON

I have a love/hate relationship with Norton. I like the program, but it is an EXTREME resource hog . I'm running a full Gig of memory in my desktop, but only around 550+or- is free at any time. Norton sucks up even more than XP! In addition, if you have filled up the hard drive to near capacity, that will also bog down your machine.

JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Lastly, with virtualization now, it is accurate to say that more software runs on Macs than on any other platform. Can you really think of any app that won't? You can't say that about the Windoze platform that can't even run fun stuff like iLife.
well, yeah, I can. We've played around with the virtualization stuff some, and it works terribly. I mean, sure, its a cute trick...kinda works. but for heavy-duty design apps that we use, its just not up to the task. Like I said before, for "basic" computing stuff...a little typing, some web surfing, a spreadsheet or 2...I'm sure it would be fine. We actually have several mac users that NEEEEEED to be able to switch back and forth, and we've actually just given them 2 computers. mac and pc on the same desk. talk about a resource hog. the silly thing is that they don't do anything that *requires* the mac; they could do it all on a pc. but they'll give up their macs when we pry their cold, dead hands from them...

Then there's the "vertical market" software that we need...industry specific stuff. "oops, sorry. no support for the mac". and all the web pages they can't see, because they require active-x...on and on and on. its really not a "mac" issue, but a software issue. there are 500lb-gorillas out there other than MS that don't give a crap about the 5% of the market. they're looking at it all wrong, imo. its not that they'll lose 5% if they don't support macs; they annoy 95% or their customers who have 10% macs in the office... But they can do whatevere they want, when they're the only option.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Wow! Now I know how people feel when they are in a room full of clergy discussing the book of Revelations. However, I appreciate the help, by the way what's an Apple? Are they the people who have the neat store in the mall with all the games fro my grandson to play?
I backed up all of the pictures, and writings on the computer then deleted them. Made no difference. I looked at the programs installed and checked google as to what they were and was able to delete 2. Then I called Dell since I am paying for their service. Talked with a lovely gentleman from India who said it was 86 degrees and 1:20 in the morning there. Well "Edward" took control of my computer and even drew circles on my screen. He recognized several programs which were not needed, one called "Dell Network Monitoring" which I removed. My network is running better than ever right now and I have gained a little memory but not much. Edward was not concerned since my virtual memory of 2.0 GB still had 1.96GB remaining.
When I bought this machine I talked to the Dell salesperson and told her what I do with a computer and bought exactly what she recommended. I would hate to have to spend more money on it since it was costly to begin with. Thanks again, now I have progressed from turtle to tortoise which is a great improvement.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Chaplain Kent,

Hell is gradually freezing over down the road at the Mayfair shopping center. The faithful do more than play games there.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 11-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
my last pass at this, with respect to CK and his dilemma

Quote:
Knock on wood, but I've had Macs ever since the first 128K Mac and have been on the internet since 1993 starting with Mosaic and have been connected to our office networks since day one, and have never, never had a virus or any other type of infection. Never, nada, nothing. Formatting with a new image is just something DOS folks get used to, I suppose. The rest of us just carry on without having to call in the techies.

Keep on knockin' and never say never, compadre. There are already several proof-of-concept viruses for Macs out there, and moving to the Intel platform and running Windows is only going to make the Mac more fertile ground for such things. The University of Texas also runs NAV on both Windows and Mac machines; the latter being not at all certain due to a desire to run irrelevant software. Having said that, the bulk of attacks will likely remain directed at Microsoft, because those who write for malicious purposes will be disinclined to, as the old saying goes, "poop where they eat" which would be in UNIX land, and these days, you pretty well have to include OS X in that company, at least for now.

Re-imaging is not something for DOS folks exclusively (which actually, DOS has very little to do with current Windows operating systems, aside from a few leftover commands). We use a mass re-imaging utility contained in 10.4 Server utilizing Netboot that allows us to re-image entire classrooms at once. Unfortunately, it only allows for one active image at a time, and won't communicate across different subnets. Ah well - baby steps, I guess.

Peace - out!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Many years ago I read an interesting little joke about what the world of travel would be if the computer companies ran the air lines. I can't remember it now but the punch line went something to the effect of:

AirWindows: We buy a ticket and get multiple delays trying to board, more delays once we board, and then we circle waiting to land, and then we crash land.

AirMAC: We buy a ticket with no destination printed on it...doesn't matter, the airline will decide where we are going, what route we'll take,and what clothes and how much we should pack once we get there.

AirUNIX: We buy our ticket and submit our luggage, the baggage handler opens our luggage and repacks our belongings into smaller suitcases along with those of other passnegers belongings and put them on separate planes from the one we fly on, once we arrive at our destination, the baggage handlers will unpack the smaller suitcases, sort our belongings from the other passengers and repack them in our suitcases before loading them onto the luggage carocel. The planes aren't as pretty as AirWindows or AirMAC, but our luggage will get there faster than we do every time.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote