Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
commitment

as reported in the trib today...on sept 9 bud and lorene jonas of belding, mi. left on a 2500 mile round trip to alabama for the glidden tour in their 1913 rambler. the 72 year old couple, married 52 years, were making their 18th tour. of course the last 17 were trailered. on the way home, when the rambler broke down on the way home, they resorted to plan b continuing home on a fold up motorcycle they had stored in the back seat....this made me wonder..... how many of you streamers have the same commitment?......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:52 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
WBCCI

Committment??????
you want to witness committment, join the WBCCI and you will see that there are many seniors that have the same fortitude if not more.
I have witnessed 87 year olds that are still Airstreaming and making trips to places like Alaska, Mexico, the Yukon and many other remote locations.

If you check the history of the WBCCI you will see that there was no corner of the Earth that the members of the WBCCI did not caravan to. These folks would take on any challenge on paths that were by no means paved or even close to being smooth.

It can be said that Airstreaming brings out the adventure in people and a sense of adventure that tends to endure the test of time. I look forward to retiremnt and kids being grown. They will wonder where and what corner of the earth that their mom and dad are in this week.

Go WBCCI!
Smily

Old 12-23-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Well, we have been married for 42 years.
We like NY in the spring, Montana in the summer and S. Texas in the winter. Live in DE at other times.
Dick & Arlene
Old 12-23-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ken....the ultimate WBCCI cheerleader! I think that commitment speaks for itself! I can think of no other member that speaks/posts so often from the mountain top about WBCCI.

It kind of reminds me of the “Come back to Jamaica” ads that aired every 5 minutes during prime time in the 80s......
Old 12-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Commitment...yeah there are some folks that are. I kind of hated to hear that the gentleman that I bought my tow rig from had to stop with the traveling and sold his Excella. Super nice man and had a wonderful wife. His comment was they spent so much time at the doctors they no longer had time to enjoy the Airstream. They are in their 80's and I never would have guessed it when I met them. He was telling me that they did some really long trips just a few years earlier including some cross country jaunts.

hehe When I went over for a test drive of the truck he took me for a ride. He had no qualms about putting the hammer down and letting the 454 crank it out.

Now I think at this juncture I may fit better into the needs to be commited catagory.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Talking re:

I would have loved seeing a pix of that couple on their scooter.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:19 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As we picked up our first A/S in 2001 we were witness to an elderly couple who were at the dealership selling their A/S to the dealer. Due to health problems they had to hang it up. Some pretty sad times and many tears sometimes shed from those who cannot travel anymore or where a loss of spouse occurs and their travel days are over. These folks become family over the years for some of these dealers.

Those of us in WBCCI also become family and hard to believe those strangers who we first met 3 years ago have become pretty special to us over the years.

Regards and Happy Holidays to you all. Be safe!

Regards,

Jack & Patty
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
norby

i'd bet brett and edie would qualify as commited!

after the trip they had with the motorhome, i think it would be a no brainer!

john
Old 12-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm also amazed by the older folks in our unit who are still on the road. I am working to include more outdoorsy-camping activities that will be of interest to younger folk/families to help attract some of the younger airstreamers to our club, and the president told me they couldn't have those kinds of activities, because the people in the club are too old for them. I think he's underestimating them. The folks I bought my airstream from go to Alaska every year and I talked to another member who took her Bambi on a caravan to Guatemala - these older folks do WAY more adventurous stuff than we are talking about doing!! More power to them! Someone told me Airstreaming keeps your mind alert and your body young, I think they might have something there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The passing years hurt

Sadly, our WBCCI unit has 3 couples in their 80s who have just put their trailers and tow vehicles up for sale. They toughed out this year, but have to throw in the trowel. One case of cancer, one case of macular degeneration, and one case of simply realizing that they had become a hazard on the road.

Sadly, these are also extremely active WBCCI unit members who have contributed to the unit for many years and will be sorely missed. One man, in particular, has published the unit directory for the last 16 years.

Two more of our members, one fought in the Battle of the Bulge and another flew the hump between China and Burma, are obviously facing a limited future.

Every one of these folks is more interesting and has more zest for life than the average person half their age.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote