Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Colorado River Adventures

So being a newbie off I went to Camping World. World of wonder for all things Camping. They were having a drawing for a 2000$ shopping spree, right up my alley. A couple of days later, a phone call notifying me that I won! Yeah says me. Well, I didn't exactly win the 2000$ shopping spree. After talking to two people on the phone (I'm still not sure where they were calling from, but the TV in the background was so loud, I could hardly hear what they were saying) it turns out I won a 100$ in fuel, an android tablet (no manufacturer specified) and a free weekend at their campsite. We are still required to sit through a presentation. They were never clear what this was, it sounds like a time share camp site. I did some research and found a couple of reviews that rated this place bad, and a couple that rated it good. We are informed that the fun doesn't end with the first stay. We will be activating a free one year membership which entitles us to 20 nights camping at Ghost Mountain Ranch Resort (owned by Colorado River Adventures)located 56 miles east of Sacramento.
So back to being a newbie, what's the general feeling about this kind of offer. Is buying a time share camp site worth it? Does anybody have any experience with this place? Any and all comments welcome.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO, unless you want to camp endlessly at the same places, pay too much in fees and other charges, timeshares are not the way to go. I get stuff in the mail all the time pushing timeshares, and it all gets tossed into the recycle.

I'd rather camp in different, interesting places than get stuck with going to the same places at very high cost..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Colorado River Adventures

I "won" the same exact package but i had to pick a date to attend the presentation right away because events were filling up fast. After I selected a date, I googled CRA and found probably the same ratings you did. Needless to say, I felt duped so I didn't show up for the presentation. CRA called me a few times afterwards to invite me again but this time I just said no. I didn't feel like wasting an entire day going to Ghost Mountain Ranch even though they were going to pay for gas. That would've been a 200 mile round trip for me coming from the East Bay of San Francisco.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Liz Lane

My wife and I have been to Buckskin Mountain State Park, AZ many times. It is across the Colorado River from CRA. A drive past the place looks like most of the RV spots are quite a hike from the river. I have never seen a crowd on the beach there. Good luck, if you decide to join the CRA. I hope it works out well for you.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Emerald Cove CRA is just down the river from where we stay. It does a huge business but not for us. Literally hundreds of RVs most of the time.....4 rows deep from the river. It's a time share that gets you 2 weeks at a time then you have to leave for a specified time before you can return. I understand CRA owns several of these establishments.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I joined a Coast to Coast CG (Sunset Lakes). We have/had 14 days per month and used it alot. Than we camped with a group that were non members (WBCCI) and tried to cancel our membership; we had to give a 3 (three) year notice. Make sure you read the ASTERISK or you will get hit with charges and fees.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
I wasn't sure what kind of responses I would get, but once again AirForums comes through. It's great being the new kid on the block and having a place to go for information. You all have given me a lot to think about. I thought about it, I'm with Cantdriv55 even if they are buying the gas I'm not driving up there. I would much rather pick my own campsite when I feel like going. So long Colorado River Adventures. Thanks but no thanks. Thank you all for your input.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote