Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Cold weather Streamin'

Now that the cold weather has finally arrived here in New England, as I was sitting by the fire, looking out at our Excella, all put away for the winter, I got to thinking; what is the coldest anyone has camped in their AS?
Was it still warm and toasty inside? Did the heat run constantly?

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Note: the furnace has been removed from the Caravel.

This past weekend, going from Colorado to Vegas by way of I-40, for two days the temps never got above 20 degrees F. Late night temps as low as 1, and maybe lower in the wee hours. Did one night with a Mr Heater propane heater on low--very comfortable, and another at a hookup with two ceramic heaters on low--very comfortable also. Have found since then that one ceramic heater on low does fine down to something below 15 degrees (recognizing that the Caravel is a small living space), but I used to do the same with the Overlander and one ceramic heater on high.

The big concern is to remember to pour a little antifreeze in the sink drain every night. My Caravel has a lower drain trap, which takes care of the shower drain, but it's in line with the drain from the sink. If that trap freezes, it takes a little bit of magic to get it thawed out if the outside temps don't ever get above freezing (box, duct tape, propane heater).

If you've got copper pipes, like I do (and which will soon be PEX, just like in my Sovereign), and they are back in the rear access space, I open the pipe drains if the outside temp is going to get close to 20. Above 25 I don't worry too much, depending on some heat migrating into that space from the living space.

One lucky thing--the toilet wasn't competely drained and the water inlet valve was frozen solid to the point that the foot lever would hardly move at all. I just knew the valve was toast, but it finally thawed out and isn't leaking. After freezing that valve and busting it three times in a row (not all in the same AS--hey, old dog here, no new tricks) I was sure it was a goner.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Cold Weather

I live in my 31 ft. Airstream all summer starting May 1st at Thompson Manitoba, Canada. This is north of the 55th parallel. I have experianced minus 15C. 30 lbs of propane lasted about 3 days. The floors were really cold on the tootsies. You have to have water in the tank as the water feed line will freeze.

I hope this helps.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Last year, at the Rig n Rent First weekend in March. Daytime tems in the low 20's, night in the mid teens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0126.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	30999  
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have dry camped in mine at -17 F for one night.

was comfortabe if i ran furnace and heat strip at same time.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
We were in the Texas panhandle for two nights at about 14. Used the furnace and stayed warm and toasty. Used the fresh water tank for water and tank heaters (22 CCD) to keep all else warm.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Head Animal Wrangler
2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I was surprised at just how well the heater worked at the 29 Palms Rally last weekend. I turned it on about halfway as I sat inside and watched the snow fall. It was so warm inside at night I had to turn it down so I could sleep.

Very cozy!

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote