Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Closed Circuit TV for Backup

Hi Everyone,

Has anybody ever set up a small closed circuit TV setup with short range broadcaster for backing up?

I will admit that I am not the best truck driver in the world, and backing up my trailer into tight spots is not something I like to do without my wife guiding me.

Playing with techie stuff at work, I had this great epiphany: Why not setup a small closed circuit TV setup? You could even do it with computers to keep it cheap and easy. A small video cam with a blue tooth or 802.11 wireless connection to a PDA in the pickup should do the trick nicely. I wouldn't need a 50" wide screen. Just think it'd be slick to be able to have the view looking out the back window of the trailer. I think that'd make it a lot easier.

Anybody play with anything like this?

JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Jim,

I hadn't considered the bluetooth/wireless route with a PDA as a solution. Here are a few links to some threads on the forum that offer a few economical ideas for backup cameras. I have also had some success with a wireless unit that I picked up at a Wal-Mart for $50, from a company called Astak at:

It comes with a color camera and receiver with a 300 ft. line-of-sight range. For the money, I was impressed with the quality of the unit.

Forum link:

Good luck, and if you go the bluetooth set up, let me know how it works out for you. In my case, I think a good backup camera system will go a long way in preserving domestic harmony.

SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hey thanks! I checked out your link and I should have realized....doh I used to get pop ads all the time for the X10 wireless camera. I'm going to dig into this.

Take care,

JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Reverse the image?

A poster in one of the other forums tried it and the big problem was not being able to reverse the image so the perspective would match what you see in a rear-view-mirror. If you get that resolved, I think we have a winner.
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Jim, the other factor to think about is that you'd have to have the system powered up all the time if you really wanted to check behind you. Do you think you'd use it if you had to go back and open the door and then turn it on?
I have a simple toggle switch on my dash to turn on the back up camera. This keeps it off and cool as they can be warm.
Mine is now mounted on the top of the rear window frame and is viewed by my 7" indash LCD.
Lots of LCD monitors cheap on eBay.
Check the post above by silverranger, second link is to my original post. There is a link to the camera I've used. It's a CCD pickup which is much tighter resolution than CMOS. It also has the reverse image switch.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote