Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Is that a Citroen to the left of the Spit in the last photo??? If not, what is it?
Looks like a Lotus Elan 26R
Jeff

Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
Looks like a Lotus Elan 26R
Jeff
Ooops--you're right, Jeff! Sorry, Cracker! There was a white Elva in the same event and I get them mixed up all the time.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #185
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
While we're playing around with the classics, my wife has often asked me if I was familiar with a twin engine car - either a Saab or a Citroen (---or other) - that was apparently used in some of the desert areas of the world. Her understanding is that it had an engine in the front and one in the rear driving the related set of wheels - however it was not a particularly large car. Can anyone offer any information about this mythical beast? The twin engine setup was supposingly to provide redundancy in remote areas where the loss of an engine could be life-threatening.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
While we're playing around with the classics, my wife has often asked me if I was familiar with a twin engine car - either a Saab or a Citroen (---or other) - that was apparently used in some of the desert areas of the world. Her understanding is that it had an engine in the front and one in the rear driving the related set of wheels - however it was not a particularly large car. Can anyone offer any information about this mythical beast? The twin engine setup was supposingly to provide redundancy in remote areas where the loss of an engine could be life-threatening.
Hi, the only thing close to what your wife is talking about was in a magazine. [Hot Rod / Motor Trend] Where someone took a Honda Civic and put a matching drivetrain in the back, locked the wheels straight, and hooked all the linkages up together. [shifter, throttle, Etc.]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #187
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, the only thing close to what your wife is talking about was in a magazine. [Hot Rod / Motor Trend] Where someone took a Honda Civic and put a matching drivetrain in the back, locked the wheels straight, and hooked all the linkages up together. [shifter, throttle, Etc.]
It could be that, as I suggested, the beast is purely mythical - however she's talking about something that roamed back in the 50's and was supposingly a production vehicle. I can't back her up on this - and if I question it's existence I'm in deep trouble! Without fact I'll simply keep quiet on the subject and hope it goes away.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Cracker--your request tweaked my brain as well. I can swear I have heard of something similar a long time ago, but cannot bring it to mind.

There have been several two-engined cars purpose-built for racing (see the Citroen, here, for example), but I have not been able to track down a production car (yet).

Edit: This may be it, a Citroen 2CV Sahara. This might be what she is thinking of. I think it is the one I remember hearing about. It apparently did go into production, but not many were made. Here's another link to one that was on eBay, and here's an informative article.

Gee, another challenge!

Susan

Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #189
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Cracker--your request tweaked my brain as well. I can swear I have heard of something similar a long time ago, but cannot bring it to mind.

There have been several two-engined cars purpose-built for racing (see the Citroen, here, for example), but I have not been able to track down a production car (yet).

Edit: This may be it, a Citroen 2CV Sahara. This might be what she is thinking of. I think it is the one I remember hearing about. It apparently did go into production, but not many were made. Here's another link to one that was on eBay, and here's an informative article.

Gee, another challenge!

Susan
Susan:

You made my wife's day - and mine too! Her familiarity with the 2CV Sahara originated in the Dominican Republic where she lived for many years. Apparently a few of the Saharas made it there and spent a few years on less than good roads! No doubt the salt atmosphere evaporated most of them. I once caught a ride with a local Corps of Engineers employee on the island of Ponape, in the North Pacific. He was driving a one-year-old Toyota pickup, with less than 5000 miles on the speedometer. The roof was totally eaten off the body -but held in place with duct tape. Has anyone ever wondered why some of our largest salt mines are hundreds of feet below Detroit???

Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Yay! Always happy to make someone's day.

That is wild about the one-year-old Toyo, and very sad. That salt is absolutely the worst.

Hmmm... salt mines below Detroit? Can you say "Job Security" for the big three?!?

Susan

Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #191
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Just set this photo up to be my avatar. Thought you'd like to see the 47 Chrysler Windsor sedan as the TV of our 62 Bambi. In reality, there is no hitch on the 47 but it would be really cool to set this up. Oh, well, the Chrysler is for sale (no room and downsizing) Need to keep the 48 Jeep and 48 Plymouth woodie. Will try to post photos of those soon.
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	40340  
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
George

I noticed your avatar in an earlier post I read tonight and I thought Hey, I haven't seen that set up before. Looks pretty trick. Yep, keep the woody, they are incredibly rare - but you know that. And it would also make one heck of a TV for that Airstream of yours.

Barry
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #193
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Sven! Was that a woolly mammoth I just saw?!

Quote:

Cracker,
You ask about a twin engined car. Back in the late sixties Saab did produce a prototype with two of their twin cylinder engines mated side by side. It required a widening of the engine compartment and the appearance of the finished car, I'm sure I read, got it the name "elephant". Not exactly a mythical beast but automotively very strange!
Marc

Love the Lotus Elan! But for me, it was never complete without Emma Peel, aka the very leggy Diana Rigg getting out of it dressed in a skin tight cat suit! See here: http://ddr.theavengers.tv/publicity/emmapeel/69.jpg
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Cracker,
You ask about a twin engined car. Back in the late sixties Saab did produce a prototype with two of their twin cylinder engines mated side by side. It required a widening of the engine compartment and the appearance of the finished car, I'm sure I read, got it the name "elephant". Not exactly a mythical beast but automotively very strange!
Marc

Love the Lotus Elan! But for me, it was never complete without Emma Peel, aka the very leggy Diana Rigg getting out of it dressed in a skin tight cat suit! See here: http://ddr.theavengers.tv/publicity/emmapeel/69.jpg
Oh sure, you bring back a vision from the past. She was about the only reason my TV (television folks - not tow vehicle) ever got, ahem, turned on.

Thanks for the reminder. Now my wife is going to wonder what the heck happened to me all day today.....

Barry
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #195
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
My Ride

Here a few pics of my car, a 1959 Mercedes. It has a straight 6-cylinder engine with dual carbs, and 4-speed manual transmission, with the shift lever on the steering column. It's drivetrain is removed right now, the engine got too tired for daily driving, so I took it apart and it is being rebuilt right now. The transmission is already done, just waiting in a box for completion of the engine work. It should all be done by fall. I can't wait to drive it again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3701.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	40375   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2040019.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	40376  

Name:	DSCN3700.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	40377  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #196
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Uwe,

What a neat car. I love the older european cars. They always left a sense of quality. The smell of leather, the "look" of the dash, all work nicely for an older guy like me.

Barry