Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
While enjoying one of the first beautiful summer days, a week ago Monday, we happened to spot this car. It's a 1991 Saab Turbo Convertible SE. I spent a frantic five hours or so Monday evening, researching everything Saab, until I was comfortable with the care, feeding, costs, and other peculiarities thereof - and then bought it Friday. It's completely original - and in close to perfect condition - although with high miles. Unfortunately it only has a 2000 lb towing capacity so it want make a good Airstream TV! The photo was taken on Cadillac mountain, overlooking Bar Harbor, Maine.
Attachment 36839
Hi Cracker,
as a commited devotee of Saabs and my own 900 Turbo Con SE I can only congratulate you on your good taste! Don't worry about the high miles - the engines are bomb proof except for one thing: CHANGE THE OIL! CHANGE THE OIL!! CHANGE THE OIL!!! Leave it too long and you'll block the sump oil strainer and chaos will ensue!!

There is an interesting story behind the engine. Triumph, the british sports car manufacturer, imported a 3.5Ltr V8(sorry, don't know the Cubic inch equivalent) from the states to put in it's famous Stag model. Triumph had a british engineering company cut the engine in two to make a 4 cyl(called the slant 4) for use in their smaller cars like the Dolomite. Saab were so impressed by the resultant engine, an 1850cc, they bought the rights and fiitted the engine in the 90 and later bored the engine out to 1985cc for the 900 range.

Another great feature of this car is it's safety. I read a story in the Saab owner's magazine a few months ago of one of these cars being rear ended into another vehicle by a 38 tonner doing 30 mph. The car is built so solidly the passenger cage stayed intact!

Don't tow with this vehicle! Instead, drop the roof down and enjoy the amazing mid-range torque! It's a monster!

Marc

Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
It's been a while but here is a shot of the '54FC behind the '57 Caddy from the Lone Star Round Up in Austin this past year.
Gosh those two look like they were made for each other. Love the look. I'm just busting to get ours back out on the road next week.

Barry

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #171
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Hi Cracker,
as a commited devotee of Saabs and my own 900 Turbo Con SE I can only congratulate you on your good taste! Don't worry about the high miles - the engines are bomb proof except for one thing: CHANGE THE OIL! CHANGE THE OIL!! CHANGE THE OIL!!! Leave it too long and you'll block the sump oil strainer and chaos will ensue!!

There is an interesting story behind the engine. Triumph, the british sports car manufacturer, imported a 3.5Ltr V8(sorry, don't know the Cubic inch equivalent) from the states to put in it's famous Stag model. Triumph had a british engineering company cut the engine in two to make a 4 cyl(called the slant 4) for use in their smaller cars like the Dolomite. Saab were so impressed by the resultant engine, an 1850cc, they bought the rights and fiitted the engine in the 90 and later bored the engine out to 1985cc for the 900 range.

Another great feature of this car is it's safety. I read a story in the Saab owner's magazine a few months ago of one of these cars being rear ended into another vehicle by a 38 tonner doing 30 mph. The car is built so solidly the passenger cage stayed intact!

Don't tow with this vehicle! Instead, drop the roof down and enjoy the amazing mid-range torque! It's a monster!

Marc
Now that the weather is improving we've been thoroughly enjoying the Saab! The thing that impresses me the most is the solid feel of the convertible and the fact that, even with 190,000 plus miles, it doesn't have any rattles! Unbelieveable! I love to just release the door when it's about a foot or so from the body and listen to the solid "clunk" sound it makes when it locks shut. Now my wife is doing the same thing with her door! It doesn''t take much to amuse retirees! The same thing can be said for closing the hood with just a gentle push from the rest position 6 inches above the body. The bad thing is that this thing just loves curvy and hilly Maine roads and I'm going to wind up with a ticket! It's fun to watch that little needle go up into the turbo range. The ride and suspension is stiff - but the seats are real comfortable and the Clarion sound system is great.

I'll definitely heed your warnings about the oil changes Marc!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #172
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Now that the weather is improving we've been thoroughly enjoying the Saab! The thing that impresses me the most is the solid feel of the convertible and the fact that, even with 190,000 plus miles, it doesn't have any rattles! Unbelieveable! I love to just release the door when it's about a foot or so from the body and listen to the solid "clunk" sound it makes when it locks shut. Now my wife is doing the same thing with her door! It doesn''t take much to amuse retirees! The same thing can be said for closing the hood with just a gentle push from the rest position 6 inches above the body. The bad thing is that this thing just loves curvy and hilly Maine roads and I'm going to wind up with a ticket! It's fun to watch that little needle go up into the turbo range. The ride and suspension is stiff - but the seats are real comfortable and the Clarion sound system is great.

I'll definitely heed your warnings about the oil changes Marc!
Hi Cracker!
this is turning into a Saab fest! I have the later 900, a '96 model and it too has stiffer suspension to keep all that power on the road. It makes the car very well behaved.
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	1b_12_sb.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	39262Click image for larger version

Name:	b4_12_sb.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	39261
I have enormous problems with my Clarion stereo. It was made specifically for the 900 but it suffers very badly from dry joints and the scuttle shake breaks them all. I have a spare and I keep one in the car and one ready to be fitted!
Speaking of that Turbo needle. I've been meaning to get a T-shirt from Saab with the very thing emblasoned acroos the chest. It says "addicted" better than anything I've seen! Lol!
Marc
Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #173
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
oohhh yeah,,,,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rat 356 (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	39264  

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Speedster!!

Now you talking!
One of my regrets in life was the sale of my Speedster. I bought a beautiful, perfect, 57 Carerra speedster in LA, Calif. for 3000 dollars. It even had Rudge wheels and an extra set of new knock off caps. I drove the heck out of it as my primary transport. When the Air Force sent me back to SEA I had to sell quick, or so I felt. I sold it for 3500 dollars to a fella in Shreveport, LA. I even told him that if he was ever unhappy with it that I would buy it back for exctly what he paid for it. He never called back. I wonder what collection it ended up in. I sold it in 1974.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
1968 Triumph Spitfire "Elliott"

Here are a couple pictures I took of one of our little guys (Elliott) tonight. We just sold the one Brad restored and this one is next (we just have too many cars and not enough time!). We will take him to the national Triumph meet in July, with a For Sale sign!

Name:	Elliott front 6-15-07.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	39318

Name:	Elliott rear R 6-15-07.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	39319

We're keeping my race Spit:

Name:	Tower shot.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	39320

And one street Spit, a 1969 (my favorite year for Spitfires).

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #176
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Here are a couple pictures I took of one of our little guys (Elliott) tonight. We just sold the one Brad restored and this one is next (we just have too many cars and not enough time!). We will take him to the national Triumph meet in July, with a For Sale sign!

Attachment 39318

Attachment 39319

We're keeping my race Spit:

Attachment 39320

And one street Spit, a 1969 (my favorite year for Spitfires).

Susan
Is that a Citroen to the left of the Spit in the last photo??? If not, what is it?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Now you talking!
One of my regrets in life was the sale of my Speedster. I bought a beautiful, perfect, 57 Carerra speedster in LA, Calif. for 3000 dollars. It even had Rudge wheels and an extra set of new knock off caps. I drove the heck out of it as my primary transport. When the Air Force sent me back to SEA I had to sell quick, or so I felt. I sold it for 3500 dollars to a fella in Shreveport, LA. I even told him that if he was ever unhappy with it that I would buy it back for exctly what he paid for it. He never called back. I wonder what collection it ended up in. I sold it in 1974.
I think about my Speedsters all the time. I bought the first one in '72 for $400 and sold the last one in, a '55, in '75 for $2500. I made a grand and thought I really made out. Man, would I like to have that last one back. It was white, just like the one in the picture above. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Ron, great car show in Pismo this weekend.
Dave
Old 06-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #179
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
I think about my Speedsters all the time. Ron
Fellow 52'r,

Oh please don't remind me................
Old 06-16-2007, 12:55 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Hi Ron, great car show in Pismo this weekend.
Dave
Hi Dave,
I'll bet that is the one that they had when we attended our first AS rally at Pismo. It was on the pier and the surrounding streets. It was a really good show. I wish we could make it.
John: I know it hurts.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
The interesting thing on the saab v-4 is that it very much closely resembles the v-6s installed in the early capris that had the 2.6 then the 2.8 v-6.
same 60 degree block design ,valve covers and intake manifold etc. The capris were those 70s german cars that were imported to the US from 74 to
76 or 78 .Ford had a hand in that engine design ,like the cortina ,anyone remember those? Jim and Kathleen ,you have a very cool car there!!

Scott of scottanlily
Hi, Scott. The Saab V-4 was the same as the Capri engine. When I was doing new car get ready at the Lincoln Mercury dealer, some of the Capri's had engine ID tags, under the hood, that mentioned the V-4. But the Capri V-4 never made it here. Later I worked at a dealer that sold Saab Sonettes. They had the V-4 Capri engine in them. These engines [V-6 and V-4] had a big problem with breaking timing gears. The cam gear was fiber. Every once in a great while, a Ford mechanic would change the timing gears in the V-6 and couldn't figuer out why they could not get the engine started again. I would tell them they got the timing out, but since I was a quick service mechanic they didn't beleive me. I let them go crazy for a few days before giving them a detailed explanation of what they did wrong. The crank gear has two timing marks on it. The V-6 used the timing mark inline with the keyway and the V-4 used the timing mark about four teeth to the left of the keyway. Too long ago to remember if the V-4 was the same bore and stroke as the 2600 or the 2800 engine.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Quote:
Is that a Citroen to the left of the Spit in the last photo??? If not, what is it?
Hi Cracker!

It is an Elva (not sure what model). Here's a link...

I have never seen a Citroen on the vintage racing circuit (but that sure doesn't mean they're not out there!).

Have a great day!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote