Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Civility

To the Caring Members

I have sent to Steve Burrow's, who is sponsoring the Cape to Cairo Rally; and to Dan Bihary, who is sponsoring the Wilds Rally, the 1st Bulletin sent to prospective Wally Byam Caravanners that might want to go on the 1959 African Caravan.

It has been pointed out that the 10 Commandments section should be shared with all members of the Airfourm. I am doing this.

This is a document that comes from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn. At times like this I know she would feel it appropriate to share it with everyone.

Organizing any major event, at best, is an arduous task. Going to Africa was a major event demanding that the participants follow guidelines, strict at times, but in the best interest of the entire effort and for the general welfare of the Caravanners.

Besides day-to-day decorum, it is a requriement that the leadership be recognized and followed. Most of the time leadership is just a chair holding meetings serving the will of the people. However, as you will read, in tough times the leader will take full responsibility to do what is in the best interest of the group.

Wally Byam was a leader. He had the experience, the personality, the moxi, and skills not only to lead a group to Africa, but to run two Airstream plants. Leadership, like Wally's, is not common place.

Enough about this, enjoy the 1st Bulletin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1st Bulletin Wally Byam African Caravan-0001.pdf (4.61 MB, 155 views)

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
That is a seriously cool piece of history! Thanks for sharing it, PeeWee.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
PeeWee whose address was this?

Caravan Headquarters
2204 Lindora St, Bakersfield California

Hope to see more that shows the actual costs of the trip for the takers.
Would be interesting to hear about some of the "troublemakers" and how they were handled.
Wally mentions a few who sped ahead and ruined the arrival at some locales. Also it is surprising that travelers were allowed to take their own routes and break the caravan style.

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Why do I like #4?

Pee Wee,
This will be printed and posted in the trailer/motor-home. I'm also going to post it on the bulletin board at Ponderosa Shadows (AKA the AZ Airstream Park). It was started by original caravan members.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Answers

PeeWee whose address was this?

Caravan Headquarters
2204 Lindora St, Bakersfield California

2204 Lindora was our home. The office operated there until late 1959 or early 1960. I'm not sure of the exact date that it was moved to 822 Niles Street.

Hope to see more that shows the actual costs of the trip for the takers.

I'm not sure if Lillie Douglass discussed this in her book CapeTown to Cairo. I may have shipping costs, but this will need to be part of a thorough African Caravan study.

Would be interesting to hear about some of the "troublemakers" and how they were handled.

I can only address that I know who the troublemakers were and that they acted in their own best interests, and not in the interest of the rest of the Caravan members. As to the dispositon of what Wally may have done I have no recollection. The 10 Commandments covered what each individual should have followed for a rigorous caravan.

Wally mentions a few who sped ahead and ruined the arrival at some locales.

Jack Rabbits, eagar beavers, or self-serving Caravanners have always been a nemisis on any Caravan. In Africa it was serious, the few times that it occurred.

Also it is surprising that travelers were allowed to take their own routes and break the caravan style.

You have point A and point B. There maybe one road connecting both, or several roads. A Caravan is different than a convoy. A convoy is a lead elephant with a series of elephants attached trunk to tail. The rule of the road on a Caravan is to have a Wagon Boss. The Wagon Boss is the first out of a campsite and the first one in. No one passes the Wagon Boss. That's the rule. So if you get ahead of the Wagon Boss you wait at a designated area for the Wagon Boss, before you enter the campsite. In Africa we parked in wagon wheels when ever possible. Our Wagon Boss #50 Louis Mousley had parking down to a perfection. He did so in Europe 1956, Eastern Canada 1957 and on the African Caravan.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I had no idea Bakersfield was Caravan Headquarters!

2204 Lindora St, Bakersfield California - Google Maps
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Only from 1955 until 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I had no idea Bakersfield was Caravan Headquarters!

2204 Lindora St, Bakersfield California - Google Maps
When the club was found it was natural from my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, to bring it home. As it grew a few desks were put into or family room.

Somewhere in 1959 - 1960 the office was moved to 822 Niles Street. With the onset of the new Cerritos plant the office was moved from Bakersfield to Cerritos. When the plant closed the Club was moved to Jackson Center.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
When the club was found it was natural from my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, to bring it home. As it grew a few desks were put into or family room.

Somewhere in 1959 - 1960 the office was moved to 822 Niles Street. With the onset of the new Cerritos plant the office was moved from Bakersfield to Cerritos. When the plant closed the Club was moved to Jackson Center.
Did y'all convert the garage into another room, or was that done after you moved?
I see one of the current neighbors has a fancy Prevost motor home (and a Ford Pinto for a toad?).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
PeeWee did you live in that house and if so does it look like it's changed much?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Thankyou Pee Wee,

Could this type of event ever happen again? What an awesome document. Wally was a leader and clearly had passion for this trek.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Garage to Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Did y'all convert the garage into another room, or was that done after you moved?
I see one of the current neighbors has a fancy Prevost motor home (and a Ford Pinto for a toad?).
My Dad and friends closed in the garage around 1952. It was an extra room and really wasn't used until it became an office in 1955.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Changes through the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
PeeWee did you live in that house and if so does it look like it's changed much?
The house was built in 1943, we moved in on December 1950. My Mother passsed away at her home in July 2004 and the house closed escrow in December 2005.

The last time I saw the house was in September 2006 at my class reunion.

Here is a picture of the various ages of the house from 1951 to 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2204 Lindora Through 50 Years.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	84460   Click image for larger version

Name:	first.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	84461  

Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wow...54 years in the same home, and the first WBCCI HQ Office.

I love the pic of the Airstream in the side drive...much like my home.

Steve