Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #61
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
This is exactly the reason the OP posted the thread. It is absolutely an issue and documented cases absolutely exist across the US. There is no way to avoid a forfeiture under a traffic stop. It is the officers prerogative to seize your cash and they get credit on their resume for it. Never, ever give permission to anyone to search your vehicle or trailer. Youtube FBI search studies. It is the goal of any stop to escalate it into a felony stop or a seizure stop.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Under the forfeiture law your cash is guilty of a crime until proven innocent! In my experience there has been a few times when the computer or phone system is down and only 1 out of about 10 people had enough cash, if any, to pay for what they wanted at the register. The cops will try and steal your cash once in a while and you could get stuck at a gas station or market if you don't have cash on hand. This is the way the USA is now, not the place I grew up in!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrick5 View Post
Right because the cops use common sense. Great advice.
LOL- learned a long time ago we only have control over ourselves- no one else! Some not-so-common sense
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/hu...otorist-s-cash

NevadaGeo
Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post

Annual Federal asset seizures grew from $303 million in 2003 to over $3.1 Billion in 2015 (last audited accounting from the Department of Justice for the Marshall's Service).

I don't know where one can tally all the state and municipal seizures to better gauge the national phenomenon.
Over $3.1 Billion annually...I wonder how what % of this is from criminals vs innocent people? Something else that I learned from you guys and gals, is never carry someone else's prescriptions in my vehicle. Thanks for the info. Also, rumor has it that Lilly is married and expecting puppies. I want one and how much? It's on the net, so it's got to be true Seriously, I was hoping that no one here had not experienced this problem. I'm so sorry for those of you that had been wronged. It's the few bad peas that ruin the bowl. 99% of law enforcement are there to help us, and I still will anonymously buy there meal when the opportunity occurs. Being the great roll models that we are, I feel honored to be part of this community.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Nebraska

http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/14/06/131902P.pdf

$48K RV
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This all could have been avoided if he hadn't been carrying illegal drugs no matter the amount.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
"Relentless Pursuit"

Rock on Royal Knights!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #69

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
This all could have been avoided if he hadn't been carrying illegal drugs no matter the amount.
It might also have been avoided if he hadn't believed the officer's lie that they would just write him a ticket for personal-use amounts. In total the case describes about 0.6 ounces of marijuana present in the RV. While that was and still is illegal in Nebraska, it's hardly a commercial quantity and was used as a pretext to steal his $48,000. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't go whole-hog and steal the RV as well, but since that was registered in his parents' name they may have decided it would be harder to keep.

It's exactly the example that was asked for earlier, an RVer whose money was stolen by police via civil asset foreiture under the guise of drug enforcement.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Seriously, I was hoping that no one here had not experienced this problem.
I don't think that's what you meant... :
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong....but I don't believe that anyone here has experienced this problem...being stopped by Law enforcement and having their cash seized.

We have a case from 2009 involving $48,000 and a small amount of marijuana, and one from 2013 involving $167,000 and no illegal drugs...and I think there was one other, second hand story...but no one here, or even someone that someone knows, no RV'er whose few hundred or a thousand dollars in cash has been taken after a police stop.

And, you know, if this was a problem among RV'ers, it would spread amongst us like wildfire. There are thousands of us out there, driving many, many millions of miles all over this country since 1984.

People wouldn't have to hunt and search and dig to dredge up isolated instances of RV's involved in civil asset forfeiture. It would be out there, and we would be aware of it, it wouldn't have to be construed and inferred and supposed as a threat..it would be there, and it isn't.

Maybe the moral to this story is....don't use illegal drugs and don't carry tens of thousands of dollars in bundled cash hidden around your rig, in case you are stopped for some reason, police ask to search your vehicle and construe nefarious purpose to your large quantities of bundled cash.

Whether unreasonable seizure of cash and property is a problem in this country which needs to be resolved does not make it something that law abiding RV'ers need to fear or be whipped into a frenzy over.

Maggie
Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
This discussion in some ways is like the ST vs LT tires.
Some believe that the ST tires are going to explode and destroy our trailer. ME

Some believe that ST tires with proper speed , pressure, and loading will rarely if ever blow out. NOT ME

Others never think about it and just have fun. WISH that was me.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #73
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hello from Site Team.

Folks, this thread is being closed. This is an AIRstream forum and not a political one. (This hot topic is about as political as it gets.) Our rules clearly define topic parameters and regardless of which side of the political fence you park your camper on we share a common interest in Airstreams, traveling and camping. So, let's focus on that and leave this topic for other venues. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for your participation in the forum and best wishes for happy 'streaming,
Site Team

Closed Thread