Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
DMP54's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
How will I get wifes prescrip. home from phar. if illegal to have in my posession When needed and she cannot get to phar.?
I don't know...maybe keep the bottle in the stapled bag from the pharm. Come on peeps, let common sense rule
__________________

__________________
DMP54 is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,447
Re: Fuel Discounts & Credit Union CO-OP Network

We use our COSTCO VISA exclusively while traveling, due to the rewards/rebate program. For example, when purchasing gasoline (currently about $2.00 per gallon in the Phoenix area), we get a 4% rebate on fuel purchases (up to $7,000 per year). Plus, if we buy gas at Flying J or Pilot using our Good Sam discount, we get an additional three cents off per gallon, for a total discount of 11 cents per gallon. However, one should note that Costco and VISA rebates are paid annually, after the first of the year, while the Good Sam/Flying J/Pilot discount is applied at the pump.

When traveling, we carry a little cash, but not much. We are credit union members, so it's easy to get fee-free ATM withdrawals and "shared branching services" at most credit unions, which treat us like local members.

Click link to see if your credit union is a CO-OP Network participant, and for additional details and participating credit union locations: CO-OP Credit Union Network
__________________

__________________
Phoenix is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,279
Images: 33
At the most when traveling I carry a couple of hundred in cash for emergencies. I am a points hound and prefer to use my Carnival MasterCard. I have had three free cruises from points and will have enough for another soon. Also a federal credit union member and easily get no fee cash almost anywhere if necessary.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
WayneG's Avatar

 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 772
Again side tracking from the OP a bit:
One more hint, traveling in a RV or in the family car or even on bicycle or walking.
If you have prescription drugs on you and they are not in the original bottle, you can be looking at a very long explanation in front of you, especially if you have a anal cop confronting you.
It may be easier in different states, but always travel with the meds in the original bottle or at least have the bottle handy.
Many folks use the 7 day med dispenser to remind us of what we have taken or not, but if you cant prove what the drug in it are or if you should have them, you may have a problem
__________________
WayneG is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,406
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
I don't know...maybe keep the bottle in the stapled bag from the pharm. Come on peeps, let common sense rule
This not common sense when overzel. cops don't use any sense as we have several our area so don't even sneeze or you've had it, such as hap. to #2 son for not getting smog checked for 2 days past deadline going to jail for 7 hrs. pu. towed when 3 doors from home and several people would drive to his house, including me and his friend that lived 6 doors away and 5 yr. old at home waiting w/sitter that was on schedule to leave. These people were threatened with arrest for interference with dep. sheriff. There were several thousand $ electronic testing equip. on seat, would not let any one take after he gave per. And fine of $74.00 that I had to pay to get him out of jail plus towing charge of $75.00, and didn't even hook up. So where is common sense? NO all police are not like this person, bottom line she is no longer w/sheriffs dept. and new sheriff that has common sense and fair about all matters. I won't go into but past sheriff no longer, to many things became known.
__________________
featherbedder is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And where, still, is a single instance of RV's being unreasonably stopped, and cash taken?


Maggie
Here:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...lights-concern

Was the guy guilty? I would give him the benefit of the doubt because no drugs were found during the search, and the police had a drug dog, so if there was one tiny leaf fragment or pill anywhere in that whole rig, they would have found it.

And notice how the police willfully conspired to get him on the second stop after finding that they had no legal rights to do it at the first stop - that is suspicious to me. "The dog alerted" overrode his legal right to privacy that he otherwise could claim.

Well, shoot - I can't tell you whether a drug dog would alert to my rig. I don't smell anything, but for all I know the first owner toked up a storm in there and a dog's nose might be sensitive enough to detect the residue two years after the fact.

It's a rare scenario, but it's possible. And there is little doubt in my mind that civil forfeiture is being abused, maybe not so much among the RV crowd, but it is an issue of concern, one that is scheduled to be addressed during Texas' upcoming legislative session (article here).
__________________
InterBlog is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
DMP54's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
This not common sense when overzel. cops don't use any sense as we have several our area so don't even sneeze or you've had it, such as hap. to #2 son for not getting smog checked for 2 days past deadline going to jail for 7 hrs. pu. towed when 3 doors from home and several people would drive to his house, including me and his friend that lived 6 doors away and 5 yr. old at home waiting w/sitter that was on schedule to leave. These people were threatened with arrest for interference with dep. sheriff. There were several thousand $ electronic testing equip. on seat, would not let any one take after he gave per. And fine of $74.00 that I had to pay to get him out of jail plus towing charge of $75.00, and didn't even hook up. So where is common sense? NO all police are not like this person, bottom line she is no longer w/sheriffs dept. and new sheriff that has common sense and fair about all matters. I won't go into but past sheriff no longer, to many things became known.
Very frustrating to feel like you or loved ones have been wronged. Good luck...
__________________
DMP54 is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...lights-concern

Was the guy guilty? I would give him the benefit of the doubt because no drugs were found during the search, and the police had a drug dog, so if there was one tiny leaf fragment or pill anywhere in that whole rig, they would have found it.

And notice how the police willfully conspired to get him on the second stop after finding that they had no legal rights to do it at the first stop - that is suspicious to me. "The dog alerted" overrode his legal right to privacy that he otherwise could claim.

Well, shoot - I can't tell you whether a drug dog would alert to my rig. I don't smell anything, but for all I know the first owner toked up a storm in there and a dog's nose might be sensitive enough to detect the residue two years after the fact.

It's a rare scenario, but it's possible. And there is little doubt in my mind that civil forfeiture is being abused, maybe not so much among the RV crowd, but it is an issue of concern, one that is scheduled to be addressed during Texas' upcoming legislative session (article here).
Okay, this incident happened in 2013, and $167,000 in cash was found hidden in various places inside the RV.

Whether the stop was right or wrong, the LEA's antennae over-active or right on target, the premise that civil forfeiture is a problem for RV'ers just doesn't hold water, in my opinion.

I'm also aware of RV's being used on occasion as meth labs...


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,856
People do strange things for their own reasons - that's why we have due process. The guy was traveling with $167,000 but that's not a crime - we still have many people in our population who refuse to trust banks and who stuff their life savings in mattresses (I had one extended family member who was rumored to have buried his money - ALL of it). The police tape also made reference to that driver not being the registered owner of the rig, so how was he supposed to know what the registered owner, or the owner before that, may have done in there in the way of recreational drugs?

There may be other cases involving RVs. I stopped at the first one that Google pulled up.
__________________
InterBlog is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I would personally like to see you cite some credible examples of this law "now being abused all over the country", "Black Asphalt" trainings, and particularly how those may be currently applied to and affecting RV'ers.

Personally, if I were carrying large amounts of cash, I certainly wouldn't advertise that anywhere.

I know that large amounts of otherwise unexplainable cash, and expensive vehicles, are routinely seized by LEA in drug stops, but have never once heard of random stops of RV'ers resulting in this kind of search and seizure.

There is a fair amount of what I consider generally unfounded fear of unknown others out there already on these Forums, and I would hate to see that transferred on to LEA without serious substantiation....and which it would seem we would be somewhat aware of thru news reports.

Let's see some facts to back up these claims, please.


Maggie
Lily, I realize that your late husband was a law enforcement officer and you no doubt have many friends in that field, but the fact is that the civil forfeiture laws have been abused many times and in many jurisdictions.

First, everyone needs to understand that that the civil forfeiture law allows law enforcement to confiscate--and KEEP--any property believed to be the proceeds of a criminal enterprise without charging--or even arresting--the individual from whom it was confiscated. It is incumbent on the victim to sue in civil court (hence the term "civil forfeiture") to get his property back. This has proven to be very profitable to various governments and some have been unable to resist.

The libertarian Cato Institute has done a lot of studies on the abuses of civil forfeiture. Here's a link to 227 of them:

https://find.cato.org/search?q=civil...web_collection
__________________
Nuvite-F is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,911
I understand all of those issues, Nuvite, tho my husband was not LEA and I am not defending LEA actions...what I'm saying is RV'ers do not generally need to fear being stopped, asked how much cash they have, and having it unreasonably taken.

That's what started this discussion...whether one carried cash for gas and other purchases when traveling, and whether that might be threatened by police seizure.

In general, the response still seems to be...NO.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Still, streaminwild....you are relating this to traveling in an RV, and whether to carry cash for necessary purchases without fear of being stopped, apparently asked how much cash you are carrying, and having it taken from you.

I don't believe that is a reasonable fear, nor one grounded in facts.

Cite a fact, please, preferably a number of them...of an RV'er, stopped for no apparent reason, whose cash was seized.


Maggie
Maggie, One of the occurrences I read, involved a motocross racer traveling in his motorhome to a race. Looking for webpage now. After the almost financial collapse of 2007, I tried to get my cash out of bank, the bank would only give me 1,500 per day. It took me 2 months to get most of it out. Then, I wanted to open a safe deposit box to store the cash...that's illegal. It's their money until you take it out.
__________________
streaminwild is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Maggie, One of the occurrences I read, involved a motocross racer traveling in his motorhome to a race. Looking for webpage now. After the almost financial collapse of 2007, I tried to get my cash out of bank, the bank would only give me 1,500 per day. It took me 2 months to get most of it out. Then, I wanted to open a safe deposit box to store the cash...that's illegal. It's their money until you take it out.
Okay, even if there are two.

It's not a general problem for RV'ers, but you apparently wanted this discussion and airing of this here, so now you have it.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
 
JitneyBead's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 55
Images: 7
This happened in Oklahoma and explains the problem very well.
The act of carrying money - legal currency - has become justification for seizure.
I don't for a second believe this is something most RVers have to worry about, but to suggest civil forfeiture abuse isn't real is to ignore a growing threat to liberty in the name of security.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.aeae613927f3
__________________

__________________
JitneyBead is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memphis Civil rights museum robovet On The Road... 10 08-13-2016 11:10 PM
Civil War Trip in Georgia DanB On The Road... 13 09-05-2013 09:40 AM
Trip to Virginia-Civil War Interest Brian Hobin On The Road... 9 01-05-2008 11:02 AM
wide bodies and the law skipj On The Road... 47 05-04-2004 06:45 AM
Murphy's Law Strikes Again and Again . . . . . . overlander64 Our Community 5 04-21-2003 11:53 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.