Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
There's a difference between carrying $500 - $1,000 cash for expenses, which can be replenished from ATM's when it runs low, and carrying $10,000 or $100,000. If I were carrying those higher amounts, I think seizure by police would be number three on my list of worries, following having it stolen or losing it in a wreck or fire. I haven't read reports of police seizing smaller amounts of cash under the asset forfeiture program, although I suppose if you're arrested they're going to confiscate everything you have with you until you get out of jail.

I have read of abuses under the asset forfeiture program, and believe that anything seized should be promptly returned if charges are dropped or a person is found not guilty, free of any storage charges. Also, funds seized should be available to pay legal fees, as often those are the only funds the accused has, and are unable to pay legal fees if they are not available. Changes in the law to give these rights to accused persons are in the works, but whether they will be enacted or not is uncertain.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpaint View Post
Have a customer ( Painter) who was pulled over for a traffic violation. Officer spotted pill bottle in console, his girlfriend's. He was arrested for possessing prescription drugs, zanax i think, without a prescription. The painter was carrying a couple of thousand dollars to pay his crew, and the police confiscated the cash. Later all of the charges were dismissed, don't know the details, but the cash was never returned.
He is still working to get his money back, but he is a man with limited assets. Hiring an attorney would cost more than he would recover.
Don't carry someone else's prescriptions and you won't have a problem.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
For over 10 years now, I have been driving my various motorhomes to help out with the music at a regional event known as Harvestfest. The harvest festival was not about vegetables.
I have never been stopped, (and even if I was, there are no harvest items in my vehicle) I have heard of patrons being stopped and searched but never any word of a full seizure.
Most of the festivals I attend have a certain "air" about them, but I have never been stopped, unless you count a toll both where the rookie trooper asked where my shoulder harness was. It took a while to explain that the age and type of vehicle did not require one. Knock on wood, no tickets or stops for me.
It may be off topic, but I believe that in a mororhome (not sure about a TT) you can refuse to allow a search without a search warrant. Of course you are opening a whole new can of worms by refusing.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Be careful on I 80 in Henry County Illinois, vehicles are frequently stopped and $$$ taken. Usually drugs are involved. One person had reciently won the money at a local Gambling parlor and he had to,prove it, took several years with legal system.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The Heritage Foundation thinks there's a problem with Civil Asset Forfeiture

The conservative think tank "The Heritage Foundation" thinks that civil asset forfeiture laws are being abused and that uses of the laws have gone far afield of what was intended. The article includes several concrete examples.

Civil Asset Forfeiture: Good Intentions Gone Awry and the Need for Reform

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Don't carry someone else's prescriptions and you won't have a problem.
I thought the discussion was pertaining to confiscation of cash unrelated to the original stop. Guess your belief is that he deserved to have his cash confiscated.

Wow
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Oksy...

So how about we discuss the merits of paying with cash, carrying cash safely, carrying cc cards and safely using them on the road. That's actually a worthy topic that lots of people have experience with.

Let's not speculate on 3rd party stories involving seizures when there is usually another part of the story.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And where, still, is a single instance of RV's being unreasonably stopped, and cash taken?

Maggie
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Look, I refuse to live in a conspiracy world. These things probably do happen but with over 300M residents I doubt you could find many examples. We are entering a new time in our country and my guess would be that, if anything, these "rights" of law enforcement organizations will increase.

Back to the OP. Be aware and act accordingly. There is no reason to carry large sums of cash on you. A few hundred bucks will not get confiscated. Replenish your supply at ATMs along the way if you want to take advantage of the cash savings at pumps. Don't do or carry drugs and obey the traffic laws. And.....stop reading the net. You can spend hours on this as you claim you have and still read contrived or, at best, half truth stories.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
BWPaint

If you are carrying someone else's controlled substance narcotic, Xanax, that would be a crime. It would also likely be a felony and your cash likely confiscated. So yes it's related to the stop.

If you were found guilty of that crime yes your cash might be kept related to a drug crime asset forfeiture.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Points taken. Don't carry tens of thousands of dollars or other peoples' Rx, most especially narcotics. Not necessary, ever.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
BWPaint

If you were found guilty of that crime yes your cash might be kept related to a drug crime asset forfeiture.
As I stated the charges were dismissed, so how is this relevant.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #27
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
So if I'm carrying say $7k in cash to buy a vintage motorcycle when I find one, in a safe.
I have a credit union account with very few branches, I mostly get cash at grocery stores & Wmart, $100. over purchase.
I do have access to shared branches of certain credit unions, usually one in a county. A shared branch has the computer ability to access my account. Other branches do not, just "shared"
I can get up to $300 per day, at a shared branch and make deposits.
Just where could I acquire $7k cash from my account while traveling full time?
Create a law so I can steal it just like the cops?
Why is cash against the law, it says right on the bill "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
Points taken. Don't carry tens of thousands of dollars or other peoples' Rx, most especially narcotics. Not necessary, ever.
How will I get wifes prescrip. home from phar. if illegal to have in my posession When needed and she cannot get to phar.? Or my son that is over the road driver and has legal scrips. for usage in that profession when not avble. to pick up?