Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Have always dreamed of having an airstream due to Katrina it may come true. House not livable. Looking for used airstream to pull in drive and live in for approx 8 months to fix home. Never owned camper before, any suggestions as to what size would be comfie for 8 months! Hubbie has a Toyota 4 Runner would like easy to pull. Not to complicated for first timers! Dont want to spend to much, lost everything on first floor with no contents on flood! Who knew we would EVER see a 22 foot tidal surge in back bay!

swalk520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by swalk520
Never owned camper before, any suggestions as to what size would be comfie for 8 months! Hubbie has a Toyota 4 Runner would like easy to pull. Not to complicated for first timers!
Hi, and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear of your loss, at least you are okay. Posessions can be more-or-less replaced, and people can't.
Now, for your question.You are in a catch-22 as far as what trailer you need, and what can be pulled by the 4 runner. Any trailer that the SUV could safely pull, would be much too small to live in for any length of time. The minimum size to live in would be a 25 footer (Tradewind model), but it would be too heavy for the Toyota. The 4 Runner could pull maybe up to a 21 foot trailer, called a Globetrotter.
Now, if you are going to be parked for a year, why not get something big enough you can live in, and worry about getting a suitable tow vehicle when you are ready to travel?
By large enough, I am talking about vintage coaches of 25' and longer, Tradewind (25'), Overlander (27'), Excella (30'), and Sovereign (31').
Good luck with your search for a coach.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs down Just some info.....

Summer -

Just talked today with a friend of mine from Georgia, who traveled with a church group that got into Mississippi just two days after Katrina. They got back Labor Day and her husband was immediately called back to help organize the next church group. By the way, our church is the LDS (Mormon),who were there before FEMA. The church had semis parked in a variety of locations outside of the hurricane area full of supplies and were in the hardest hit areas within 24 hours.

Anyway, my friend and hubby had to take absolutely everything they would need to live for a week, including tents, sleeping bags, and extra gas. She said the TV pictures don't begin to show the absolute devastation of the Gulfport and west area. Very few roads are open, very few gas stations are open, and the lines are terrible. Gas is more expensive too. Be sure you have an updated tetanus shot at the minimum.

In many places they are not allowing people to come in unless they are a resident, a part of an organized relief effort or have been approved by the Red Cross. By the 21st you should be able to get "certified" by the Red Cross as a volunteer. In our area, they have already finished one class and have started another.

I commend you for wanting to help. I wish I could physically go too, but my health doesn't allow it. So I am contributing in other ways. We have several displaced families right here in Leavenworth that need absolutely everything and I will continue to work with the Red Cross locally to see that they have everything they need to survive a Kansas winter.

My best to you in this endeavor.
Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321

I don't mean to throw cold water on a great idea but, according to my sister in law, you won't be very welcome.

The various organizations, Red Cross, Sal Army, Baptist, Methodist, etc. churchs are already there with the first wave of helpers. They are training a 2nd and 3rd wave to relieve right now.

I do understand security concerns by local authorities and the staggering logistics of supporting a large group of people that have to be fed, clothed, schooled, etc. in an area that may not have electricity, water, sewage treatment, natural gas, or a/c.

She says one of these organizations will get you trained in 2-3 weeks and you will be wave 2 or 3. Sounds like Pick has a particular skill but, they will train you for what they need if you don't have a particular skill.

Her church group says people with self contained units will be accomodated.

I am investigating right now for myself and the wife. Retired seniors should be able to stay longer & needed for something
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Jesus said "If you do not know the poor, you do not know me." Good luck as you go to serve those who are in need. If I hear one more person say "those poor people are lazy, that's why they didn't leave" I'm going to punch somebody. Thanks for daring to go, when so many of us are tied to our present lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jim & Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Theresa, everyone is right. You will not be able to enter the area at all, unless you have proper credentials. My neighbor, who is helping with power restoration, had to get 6 different shots, and has to wear a very large badge across his chest, so he is not mistaken for a looter and shot. He will be working right in New Orleans.
I will be briefed on what hoops I have to jump through, tommorrow.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #21
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

having worked as a power company lineman through disasters i know this.

you will not be allowed into active recovery areas. it is very dangerous, well wishers and gawkers just get into the way and hamper restoration efforts.

however, that does not mean you can't help out. during our last tornado in stoughton wi a couple of high school girls had driven a carload of pizzas and sodas out for the sheriffs deputies and our power crews.

it wasn't much, but a quick snack and a 10 min. break allowed us to stay out working longer. the folks affected got the lights on quicker because we did not have to break down the crew to go eat.

believe me such a act of kindness, although not directly helping those involved in the disaster does help in the long run!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I understand everybody's points of caution but I really don't care. You think I'm wanting to be a hero, swim around New Orleans dropping off Q-Tips? Absolutely not. I swam the width of the Kankakee River yesterday & that was soupy enough. I don't want to be anywhere NEAR New Orleans right now. Again, my plan is to head south, get close enough to a stretch of coastline to find someone who can use a little help & continue on my way. What John HD mentioned is exactly what I have in mind. I've also been talking with a couple of people who are already in that NOLA pipeline so I'm not exactly striking out like Hansel & Gretel.

Elena has a more elaborate plan in place because she & her fellow vet tech actually are equipped to care for creatures; she'll be down there for 9 days & they'll be bringing back foster pets.

And please not to worry. I've hitchhiked across this country & traveled alone in Central America & traversed a war zone in Croatia. I think I can make my way through Louisiana en route to the Ft. de Soto rally without doing something stupendously stupid, such as assuming I'll see a lot of "vacancy" signs hanging out next to the stations with the cheap gas.

But if I'm wrong on all fronts & it turns out that, even 100 miles from the coast, nobody is feeling overwhelmed & I get in the way & a rescue crew yells at me & I have to simply turn for home with my truckload of basics & then I run out of gas & have to sleep on an anthill by the side of the road, why, I'll report back & then next time I'll feel really good about sitting home watching **** happen on CNN.
Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Here is a similar venture

Here is a relevant article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune...

"Like many Americans, Gayle Wood sat paralyzed in front of her TV as the catastrophe of Hurricane Katrina unfolded.
On Aug. 31, two days after the storm crushed the Gulf Coast, the 44-year-old stay-at-home mom, who spent her high school and college years in New Orleans, decided she would have to leave Edina if she was going to do something.
After finding some local relief efforts too slow, she decided to organize one herself to provide immediate help. She would rally neighbors, businesses and churches to fill a convoy of U-Haul trucks with supplies..."
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Thanks! And may I take this opportunity remind everyone to give blood? Especially those of us O+ & O-neg types?
Not to mention those of you who can tolerate the plasma procedure. But anybody who goes through that business is such a saint that he or she probably never needs to be reminded.
Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Summer, I believe we are surrounded by saints-recognized not by their starry crowns but by the good they do. God bless you on your trip and all the people touched by you. ~G

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote