Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Checked Baggage - Saddle - United Airlines?

I'm trying to get stuff together for an upcoming flight (United Airlines) - and wanting to check my Western Saddle. According to United's website, the checked baggage weight limit is 50 lbs and size is 62 linear inches. Otherwises, it can be designated oversized (</=116 linear inches) or overweight (</= 100 lbs) - and will incurr additional fees. There's also a list of special sports/athletic equipment (golf clubs, bicycles, etc) but nothing about a saddle.....

My saddle weighs 35 lbs and fits in a 14"x14"x34" canvas duffel bag. So, it seems that my saddle meets the criteria without being designated "oversized". But, because the duffle bag is soft, the saddle deforms the bag and it looses it box shape (kinda looks cylindrical). I am concerned that someone at the check-in counter will classify it as oversized. It is hard to measure LxWxH for the new shape and I have no idea how the check-in agent will assess the size. If they measure the circumference and add it to the height, that will be wrong (and define it as oversized) - but that's my concern!

I phoned United three times and their only response was that it will be up to the descretion of the airport agent - and none could tell me how they would measure my item. Twice I was told to call TSA - which I did, just for kicks. TSA said they don't have any guidelines for the sizing and are completely fine with a saddle.

Sooooooo ---- anyone have any insight to this issue? I thought about taking the packaging from the duffle bag, which reflects the 14x14x34 size ..... I'm ALL EARS on this one. I could send it fedex but worry that it may not arrive in the remote area of my travel in time..... I waited a bit too long to research this.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm trying to get stuff together for an upcoming flight (United Airlines) - and wanting to check my Western Saddle. According to United's website, the checked baggage weight limit is 50 lbs and size is 62 linear inches. Otherwises, it can be designated oversized (</=116 linear inches) or overweight (</= 100 lbs) - and will incurr additional fees. There's also a list of special sports/athletic equipment (golf clubs, bicycles, etc) but nothing about a saddle.....

My saddle weighs 35 lbs and fits in a 14"x14"x34" canvas duffel bag. So, it seems that my saddle meets the criteria without being designated "oversized". But, because the duffle bag is soft, the saddle deforms the bag and it looses it box shape (kinda looks cylindrical). I am concerned that someone at the check-in counter will classify it as oversized. It is hard to measure LxWxH for the new shape and I have no idea how the check-in agent will assess the size. If they measure the circumference and add it to the height, that will be wrong (and define it as oversized) - but that's my concern!

I phoned United three times and their only response was that it will be up to the descretion of the airport agent - and none could tell me how they would measure my item. Twice I was told to call TSA - which I did, just for kicks. TSA said they don't have any guidelines for the sizing and are completely fine with a saddle.

Sooooooo ---- anyone have any insight to this issue? I thought about taking the packaging from the duffle bag, which reflects the 14x14x34 size ..... I'm ALL EARS on this one. I could send it fedex but worry that it may not arrive in the remote area of my travel in time..... I waited a bit too long to research this.

Laura
Laura.

UPS freight might be your answer. It would be a lot cheaper than any airline baggage rates.

I hear that United is going to start charging passengers extra money, depending on how much air your inhale.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Something like that, I think I would fedex/ups it to myself, rather than trust the airline to get it there in one piece. The times I have at on the tarmac, looking out of my window, to see a soft duffel bag sat at the bottom under a half ton of flight cases, hard bags and boxes... :/
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
If it fits into an Airstream use the Airstream. Then it would also 'fit' into this Forum.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
As an airline person (not UAL) I encourage you to ship it
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Amen....use a shipper. It will be waiting for you. By the way, consider that for any extra luggage on vacation trips...going both ways. Makes the trip easier and cheaper too.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas

United might break saddles, too!

UPS or Fedex it!

David
ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i guess you can ask united if they treat saddles like guitars ;-)

any shipper should be able to give you guaranteed delivery dates for premium shipping to any destination.

can you borrow a suitcase for it?

maybe nasa has a surplus rocket you could use ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not what I hoped to hear ..... see ...... read.... whatever.

I have waited much too long to figure this out and I cannot get it shipped in time. Well, not for under a couple hundred dollars.

Crap. Now not only am I concerned about the extra $65 that I mighta been charged by United, but now I worry that it wouldn't even *arrive alive*.

Okay - one of the girls that is going with me is a cargo pilot. I'll see if she has any ideas ....

Ricky --- will at least scavenge for some rocket part shipping crate. Maybe a nice composite of sorts will be found.

Laura
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You could cinch in on and wear it. No extra $.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
UPS charges $1.05/lb for 3 day delivery from/to most of the US, once you get over 20 lbs.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
put it in a baby stroller with a doll
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm trying to get stuff together for an upcoming flight (United Airlines) - and wanting to check my Western Saddle.

Laura
Hoe are you getting your horse on the plane too? I though Saddles and horses were a match just like rider and saddle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Hoe are you getting your horse on the plane too? I though Saddles and horses were a match just like rider and saddle.
The ranch encouraged us to bring ONLY our saddles, if we had one that we are comfortable in for 7-8 hrs a day. Said the horses would have too much trouble with the elevation. Yeah - that's the ticket.... if I feel a little sore or tired, or just can't keep up, I'll just say it's the elevation!

Laura
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
ship it by greyhound.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
put it in a baby stroller with a doll
Hilarious!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Actually, Laura, I am going to change my tune on this.

Go ahead and check your saddle on the airplane. People check golf clubs, skis, and the biggest damn bags imaginable. So your relatively modest-sized saddle, at 35 lbs., is not going to be a big deal. Yeah, you might get an crusty agent that charges your for oversize, but this is stressing you out, so relax, and just pay a little more.

Go and enjoy yourself!

David
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
figured it out

I scored a heavy-duty cardboard box from work 15x15x24. The saddle fits inside like a pea in a pod! I was hoping to stuff it inside my big ole duffle so that I could add a few more things and use it as a single piece of luggage but it won't go. So, I'll just put some kinda strap on the box as a handle and check it as second luggage!!!

Thanks for all the great ideas. With the holiday, shipping would have cost an arm & leg to get it out west, to a remote area. I was determined to get it on the plane with me. So much for pre-planning.

I did try dressing the saddle up like a doll, but it wouldn't fit in the stroller without taking off it's legs. The second best option was strapping it ON my greyhound and shipping them together! Hell, if my grey had GPS, I could just send her on her way now and she'd be there by the time I get there!

Laura
Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i guess it won't fly as a back brace. you'll still have the option to ship it home in the box.

if you think you'll do this again, check into shipping it to a ups type store in/near the airport to avoid the remote area shipping charges.

happy trails and giddyap!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Saddle made it!

It's here with me - undamaged! No extra costs incurred. Though, the box handles were completely ripped off, along with the major handle on my other luggage being broken. WTH? Oh well - off to the mountain for the cattle drive in 3 hours!

Thanks for the tips and laughs.

Laura