Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Check This Out..

A friend of mine e-mailed me this so I thought I would pass it along to all you good people of airstream forums..

INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS
The heating unit went out on my dryer! The guy that fixes things went in to the dryer pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes. He told us that he wanted to show us something. He took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. Now, the lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like.WELL...the hot water just sat on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go through it at all!!!

He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's
what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film, but it's there.This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire &potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (& to keep your electric bill lower)is to take that filter out &wash it with hot soapy water & an old tooth brush (or other brush) at least every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long!

How about that???!!!! Learn something new everyday!I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, I thought I'd share!
Note: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran thru a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water &a nylon brush & I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I read this and went over to my dryer that we've used for about 12 years and with dryer sheets, only cleaning the lint from it. We do about 3-4 loads a week with it.

It didn't hold any water. I still washed the filter though.

I also clean out the exhaust path as well. I've heard the exhaust path is the place where most fires of this type start. First time I was amazed how much actually gets past the filter....each cleaning since that time has been noticable, but not eyebrow raising.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have read several articles related to this. It does seam that the filter will build up some residue from the sheets. If that will start a fire or damage the element is open for debate. Other things are more likely to cause a fire. A buildup of lint in the exhaust hose is very bad. This can be caused by a the flex hose from the dryer to the outside vent. These hoses are not recomended because of this, If you have one, keep it clean or replace it with a smooth walled vent pipe. Also, be careful what you put in the dryer. Gas lighters can cause fires as well as cloths items with metal parts such as women's undergarments.
I'll wash the screen if nothing else to improve air flow and reduce the operating costs of the dryer. Will it start a fire or burn out the element? Ask the experts.......
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Per Snopes

Claim: Washing the lint filter in your clothes dryer can help extend the lifespan of that appliance.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2005]

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ah.. Mythbusters, I LOVE those guys Now let's go blow something up!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Per Snopes

Claim: Washing the lint filter in your clothes dryer can help extend the lifespan of that appliance.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2005]

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp
Well, if it's on the web, then it has to be true.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Silvertwinkie,

I don't know if you are kidding but I'll bite anyway snopes is a site dedicated to confirming or debunking urban legends.

I think generally found it to be accurate.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote