Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hey Jim,
We have a 4 year old boy and have been in thrall to Thomas for about 2 years now.... I understand it wears off at about age 7...then the lionel trains kick in...Have you been to the thomas the train visit at your local transportation/train musum..its fun...
Oh ho ho, Diesel 10 is not on Santa's nice list!! Alec Baldwin did his voice in the movie didn't he? Now that Sam's older he plays with his diesel 10 and puts on the scary voice too, he used to be afraid of diesel 10 too.
Happy Holidays to steamies and diesels alike!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's a must if you have the time.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
What a trip down Christmas lane! Silverhawk, I didn't believe anyone but us still remembered Mr. Magoo's (Jim Backus) Christmas Carol! In fact, we think he may be the absolute best Scrooge we have seen. We used to hunt all through the published holiday specials hoping it would be rerun, but we haven't seen it for years. We always serve "Razzleberry dressing" at Christmas time, but Max and I are the only ones that make the connection. Oh, I would love to see that again. I wish we had hijacked a "copy" of it long ago. As for Brio and Thomas trains, our tradition began with our oldest grandson who is 17 this year, starting the set when he was two. Our two youngest, 5 and 8 (yes, even the 8 year old still has fun creating layouts) love hauling out all the pieces and generally making a trainyard out of Grandma's house! I think they are going to "do me in" this way! Will our soon-to-be-born granddaughter (Due in January) enjoy the trains like the boys? Tell me it is so! Isn't it all good fun? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hey Sista,

We rode Thomas the Tank Engine a couple months ago. Brought him in special to our local railroad. It was kinda lame...it wasn't a real engine at all. Just a car that made some noise. They had a diesel on the other end moving the train. I understand the Strausburg railroad in PA has a real steam engine Thomas. I thought that was the one we were going to ride in Cumberland, MD, but we got snookered. Kids didn't care though

"Mountain Thunder" is a real 2-8-0 steam engine though. It was cool. In the spring I want to take them down to Cass WV to ride the old Shays locomotives up the mountain to the old logging camps. That is a cool ride. The Shays were built for steep grades and have some kind of jackscrew drive going to the wheels. More torque I guess. Anyway, it's very visceral and raw there. The trains are much shorter, like only 5-10 cars, and some are open. You get coal dust blown all over you and breath in the sulfur. Yeah, it's great in a messy kind of way!

I think Alec Baldwin may have done the voice of Diesel 10. He was the conductor in that one. Sir Topham hat was off on "holiday" and so Baldwin was filling in. Man, crazy that I know all this...
Old 12-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Two more votes for Charlie Brown

We're both CB fans. Unfortunately we missed it a couple of nights ago . Forgot all about Mr. Magoo. That's a classic also. Another that you don't see much anymore is George C. Scott as Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol". I used to have it on tape, but the tape player ate it one Xmas. He is my favorite Scrooge. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Since the first time I saw it in the early '60s, I have to see "Ol' Bing sing White Christmas in the movie of the same name to get in the Christmas spirit. I also like Holiday Inn. Anybody elso like those movies?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I just typed Mr. McGoo's Christmas Carol into IE and found multiple DVD's for sale, ranging from $14.95 to $99. Now, how does someone know what to order? Little description given. I was surprised to find them, and then confused as to what each represents. Who is experienced enough ordering online to explain? Thanks, G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Since the first time I saw it in the early '60s, I have to see "Ol' Bing sing White Christmas in the movie of the same name to get in the Christmas spirit. I also like Holiday Inn. Anybody elso like those movies?
I agree. Love 'em both. Have 'em both on video.

Several years ago one of the gas station chains, Hess I believe, had the Charlie Brown programs on VHS. We bought them all. This was before we had children. My wife is an elementary school teacher. We have one for every holiday and a few that were made for other special occasions, i.e. the space shuttle, The Mayflower, etc. We also have Rudolf with Burl Ives on VHS, too.

Does anyone remember the claymation "The Little Drummer Boy"? I guess that is too religious for the secular world we live in today, but I remember it from my youth.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote