Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Changing Directions

Hello All

Well, after 3 years of work on a 1979 AS Tradewinds the work is over. Replacing floors, wiring, plumbing and all the rest are finished. I do have to say that this site was a ton of help all the way thru the adventure. But, I sold the trailer to another day dreamer just like I was 3 years ago. It was not finished but was close. I could see it in his eyes, he was going to make a castle out of it.

The wife and I got tired of seeing all the RVs going down the road and then going home to do more work on the AS project. So, I figured since we were getting another trailer I would look at different brands of RVs. Well, I picked up a 2016 Bigfoot 25B25RQ. It is a true fiberglass four-season RV. The quality is exceptional. I do like the style of the AS but this Bigfoot just totally impressed me. It is set up just like I was attempting to set up the AS.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the good threads and advice I received during our AS build.

Thanks Again
MnP
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
SOB! Oh well, at least you are out there camping. lol
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Its Who You Are, Not What You Have

I really liked the AS concept and I have to say I have met some pretty nice people while I owned and worked on it. But, I also realize there are a few AS owners that think all other RVs are sub-level to AS. After seeing the AS from the inside out I can say that they are not any better than most of the others. I would also say that they are sub-level to some of the four-season RVs like Bigfoot.

I really hope that some of the AS owners out there on the road will be friendly regardless of what the other travelers are driving. Lets face it, not every body can drop 50k - 100k for trailers like Bigfoot and AS. But they are nice people and I hope they all enjoy their RVS regardless of what they travel in.

Its not what kind of RV you have anyway, its what type of person you are to others.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
With your knowledge of restoration, I am sure you will have no problem initiating a conversation. Happy Trails!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looks great!

http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/r...gfoot-25b25rq/

Any Airstream owners who get snooty are probably not the sort of folks anyone would want as friends anyway! [IMO]

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post

...snip...

Its not what kind of RV you have anyway, its what type of person you are to others.

This - 100x this!

Happy trails!

And thanks, Peter, for posting the link - compelling product for sure!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
We want to thank you all for the support and Peter thanks for the website. I actually had not seen that. The wife and I are really looking forward to visiting with all the campers in the RV parks. This is our first RV (that we can actually use) and we plan to give it a try in about a week.

Our new motto is "LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL"

MnP
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Having 4-season capability is huge IMO. Amazing that Airstream has not taken up this challenge!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I too had gotten tired of seeing all the trailers on the road and then realizing how much work I still had to do on my 77' Sovereign. So... I got it all roadworthy to make sure it was safe... brakes, hitch, lights, tires, etc. Then I installed my toilet, a dorm fridge, Microwave, camping stove, AC, and all electric both 110v and 12V I had already done. I have taken 4 nice local trips in the last year, and have another one scheduled for the end of this month. I schedule trips for myself and create deadlines of what I want done before I head out again. So far so good.

Good luck on your new venture, and enjoy the freedom of not having unfinished things to work on!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Hey Sneakinup that's awesome. Now your making me jealous. But, I am sure glad to hear you are enjoying it. I may find another older AS in a few years when I fully retire and attempt to redo another. Working full-time and trying to renovate an AS and keep up with all the other honey-dos was just to labor intensive for me. Good luck with your finished product.