Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Censorship???

Is it just my imagination - or do threads critical of the Airstream organization - i.e., quality control - mysteriously disappear? I was able to find the current thread I responded to yesterday by doing a search - however, it was nowhere to be found in the list of new posts. That seems strange - but perhaps there is a logical explanation?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We don't have a policy of deleting threads that are critical to Airstream, and to my knowledge Airstream has never asked us to do so. In fact the quality control threads for every year have been very critical of Airstream, and they are still up.

Perhaps you should just let us know which thread you are looking for and someone can help you find it. I don't believe any threads have been removed lately. Threads often don't show in the new posts list to the last person who posted to them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Cracker - the thread you posted to can be found in the "Our Community " Sub Forum. here http://www.airforums.com/forum...bad-21921.html

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Is it just my imagination - or do threads critical of the Airstream organization - i.e., quality control - mysteriously disappear? I was able to find the current thread I responded to yesterday by doing a search - however, it was nowhere to be found in the list of new posts. That seems strange - but perhaps there is a logical explanation?
Cracker, go to the portal rather than new posts. That has worked out pretty well for me. As Steph pointed out, "threads often don't show in the new posts list to the last person who posted to them." Or sometimes I just look up my profile and look for all member posts and can quickly find my thread I am looking for. I know what you mean, I have wondered where in the world is...and done searches too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Interesting comment since I'm subscribed to this thread and as Cracker pointed out, I didn't see it in my new posts list either and Cracker's post at the time was the newest and I had not seen it earlier. It is true though if you are the last poster, it will not show in the new post list until someone else responds.
Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That little 'feature' has left me hunting for threads many times...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Interesting comment since I'm subscribed to this thread and as Cracker pointed out, I didn't see it in my new posts list either and Cracker's post at the time was the newest and I had not seen it earlier. It is true though if you are the last poster, it will not show in the new post list until someone else responds.
Jack
Jack, I think you have cracked this case!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Another tip for finding a thread you know you posted to yesterday is to go to the "quick links" and select "today's posts". It'll showw all the threads with posts in the last 24 hours, whether or not you have viewed or posted to them. Great toool for really active posting days when the last 25 rotate off the list.

Then there's my favorite, especially after an absense, "new posts" which shows every thread with a new comment since I last visited.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A happy post is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Is it just my imagination - or do threads critical of ...
Threads/posts do disappear.

While not necessarily critical of the Airstream company, I have noticed many threads that culminate in "unhappy" conclusions suddenly disappear after a everyone quits posting to them. My personal opinion is that the Moderators are doing a fine service in keeping this forum an enjoyable venue to visit.

But on the flip side, no one will ever read the pubisher of a certain niche magazine's last post to gain insight as to why he no longer posts.

I 'spect this post will end up in the "bit bucket" before too long. That's the way it is.

Oh well,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
These forums must use a fairly common commercially-available forum software -- because I have stumbled across it at other forum sites on the internet (and not just 'Fashion' or 'Royals' forums). For those of us who've been here a while, certain expected keywords can be unproductive in the search function. One has to modify and try alternatives before finding that which we seek.

Censorship? Not surprisingly I have bombed when looking for past negative comments based on the principle name of one dealer in a state the same-as or near to my homestate of Minnesota. I certainly would wonder why this happens -- and have no way of knowing why, unless or until we see a more versatile search function.

Overall I strongly support the quality and environment maintained by AndyR and his moderators. I understand "we" function with the consent of Airstream Central. I commend the reasonable level of commentary and critique the formers of AirstreamForums have maintained! Thank you guys, gals, and other-folks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Censorship

I have noticed that when you pull up a post in the "New Posts" section once and read it, it migrates to its rightful place because it is no longer a new post as far as you are concerned because you have read it.
Just my observation
Jim
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
..... I understand "we" function with the consent of Airstream Central. I commend the reasonable level of commentary and critique the formers of Airstream Forums have maintained! Thank you guys, gals, and other-folks!
Just for clarification:

www.airstreamcentral is a separate, privately owned entity. Currently that site is in transition - having been sold recently and has links on it to several on line forums and commercial sites.

The forums is not owned by Airstream Inc - but rather, privately owned. Airstream Corp doesn't control the content here, although they continue to license use of the name "Airstream". The Airstreamforums.com site owner sets the rules and the moderators - all volunteers, work to maintain his vision for this community.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Threads/posts do disappear.

While not necessarily critical of the Airstream company, I have noticed many threads that culminate in "unhappy" conclusions suddenly disappear after a everyone quits posting to them. My personal opinion is that the Moderators are doing a fine service in keeping this forum an enjoyable venue to visit.

But on the flip side, no one will ever read the pubisher of a certain niche magazine's last post to gain insight as to why he no longer posts.

I 'spect this post will end up in the "bit bucket" before too long. That's the way it is.

Oh well,
Tom
<Moderator Hat On>

Of COURSE posts/threads disappear. I confess I'm amused at the idea that they wouldn't. They disappear for a variety of reasons; most generally because the posters lose sight of the stated Forums policies. Some disappear after they've run their course because the content is largely non-Airstream related and the staff decides that the thread has no archival value. The lengthy George Bush thread was a prime example. I can't think of any archival threads recently, however, that have been deleted.

Yes, posts are edited for content. Threads are edited or deleted as appropriate when appropriate. That editing is frequently what keeps the Forums a pleasant place to be. No secrets about it at all.

What the staff doesn't do is edit for "thought control" purposes, and frankly I bristle at accusations to the contrary. Unfortunately folks who post with an axe to grind sometimes make inappropriate posts that violate policy in some fashion and then grouse that the staff edited or deleted it because we're censoring them. You can pretty much post what you like, Tom W's post being a prime example, without being "censored" provided that it doesn't violate the stated policies.

With that in mind, most of the edits/deletes are posted in the Moderator's Forums to be discussed among all of the Mods prior to the action being finalized, and if it's finalized, it's generally with the consensus of several moderators.

So, in summary, yes threads do 'disappear' from time to time. Posts are edited or deleted. No, they're not done for any special interest or to appease any other member or entity specifically (unless of course they're libelous, which is covered by policy anyway). There is no underlying current or theme to the way the policies are enforced, other than what's stated.

We all agreed to abide by the policies when we joined, and part of those policies is that we agree to be edited if we don't. We also agreed that it's ok for the owners/staff of the forums to delete things at their discretion.

I refer you to the Community Policies if you haven't read them recently:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ies-14605.html

<Moderator Hat Off>

Roger
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
More mystery!

Just now, as I was expressing my appreciation for the preceding comments I was suddenly "bumped" and the forum shut down on me! I'm beginning to feel like "Shu Fly Sam" (sp?) from the old Lil Abner cartoon series! He always walked around with a grey cloud hanging over his head - as you older types will remember. I seem to have a habit of "capping off" many of the threads - (---I'm developing an inferiority complex!) so I guess that's why it's awkward to find a thread I commented on the day before. I would have to guess that removal from the main forum list may be a semi-automatic convention designed to keep the list from getting too long.

Now, will someone please follow up on my comments!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Cracker, the Forum software, to my knowledge, doesn't have an auto-disconnect feature. I'm not sure what's happening to you, but I don't think that it's on the AirstreamForums end.

I'll PM you and see if we can figure out what's happening.

Roger
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I hear the moderators fly to work in black helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
<Moderator Hat On>

Of COURSE posts/threads -----------. I confess I'm -------- at the idea that they---------. They --------- for a variety of reasons; most generally because the posters lose -------- of the stated Forums policies. Some disappear after they've run their course because the----------- is largely ---------related and the ---------thread --------- value. The lengthy George Bush--------a prime example. I can't think -------------- recently, however------------------- deleted.

Yes, posts are edited for content. Threads are edited or deleted as appropriate when appropriate. ----------------------- what keeps the Forums a pleasant place to be. -- secrets---------- all.

What the staff ----------- edit for "thought control" ---------, and frankly I -----------at accusations to the contrary. -------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------- being "censored" provided ---- it ------ violate the stated policies.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................
.................................................. ...........

I refer you to ------------------- if you haven't ------ them recently:

<Moderator Hat Off>

Roger

Hehe

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We don't have a policy of deleting threads that are critical to Airstream, and to my knowledge Airstream has never asked us to do so. In fact the quality control threads for every year have been very critical of Airstream, and they are still up.

Perhaps you should just let us know which thread you are looking for and someone can help you find it. I don't believe any threads have been removed lately. Threads often don't show in the new posts list to the last person who posted to them.
Well this explains alot. I was taking it personal... Thanks for the info.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote