Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
It's a Canadian thing. Europe has it too. Will be phased into US in the next few years. Will be good news. Jim

Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
WOW. Can the American banking system really be this far behind the rest of the world ??

I haven't seen the old fashioned, sliding, hand operated credit card imprinter here for several years now, neither in the largest cities nor in the smallest towns.

Terminals are everywhere. They either DEBIT your bank account or charge your CREDIT CARD. They are everywhere including the self-serve check outs at Home Depot, your grocery chain, everywhere: the dentists office, at the pump, Starbucks, restaurants fast and slow, your auto dealership, on and on. The only exceptions are the occasional rare place that does not accept credit cards, cash only.

The latest wrinkle is that you merely TAP your card as you pass through the line at a coffee shop or grocer.

I was in Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea for 2 moths last winter. Same thing there, even in Ho Chi Min City or Hanoi. SEOUL, of course, is the most wired place on earth. People there tap a terminal with their CELL PHONE as they board a bus or subway ( There are 357 subway stops in Seoul!). They do that at STARBUCKS too.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post

The latest wrinkle is that you merely TAP your card as you pass through the line at a coffee shop or grocer.

I was in Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea for 2 moths last winter. Same thing there, even in Ho Chi Min City or Hanoi. SEOUL, of course, is the most wired place on earth. People there tap a terminal with their CELL PHONE as they board a bus or subway ( There are 357 subway stops in Seoul!). They do that at STARBUCKS too.
Great technology, especially for hackers. Now they can pick your pocket electronically without even getting into your pocket. See, for example,

Hacking in the Far East 7: Too-Near Field Communication | Privacy PC

Of course, I'm an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't even enable Bluetooth on my smartphone.

Now, as always, eternal vigilance is the price of not getting ripped off.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Really? I wonder what that would be like, because I have never been in a restaurant that uses portable terminals.

But in the real world, even at a restaurant that would normally take your card at your table and bring it back to your table, you can still ask to go go with the server to where they run the card. I've done that a few times so I could watch them swipe the card through the machine. Sure, the server may think I'm paranoid, but that's only because I am paranoid.
Chili's has them. They're called Kiosk

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
You are gettiung there....

from today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/op...yt-region&_r=0