Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,359
Cautionary News Article Regarding Generators and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Many deaths associated with natural disasters like hurricanes have an unusual cause -- carbon monoxide poisoning. While RV owners with generators are already aware of this danger, one more warning doesn't hurt. See text extract of recent news article, below.


(Super Storm) Sandy's silent killer: Carbon monoxide claims another victim

By Andrew Mach, NBC News, November 8, 2012

A Long Island, N.Y., woman died this week when a portable generator she began using after Superstorm Sandy knocked out the electricity in her neighborhood emitted fatal levels of carbon monoxide.

Michelle Bracco, 44, was discovered unconscious in her home around 10 p.m. Monday, police said. She was taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside, N.Y., where she was pronounced dead, NBCNewYork reported.

Police said a portable generator in the garage was being used to provide power to Bracco’s home.

Bracco’s death wasn't the first caused by Sandy’s silent killer since the storm passed.

Local news outlets have reported that carbon monoxide poisoning has sickened dozens of people in more than 10 Northeast states in Sandy’s wake. Now, as newly powerless residents throughout the storm-struck region crank up generators after a nor’easter brought record early snow and winter weather, the potential for more deaths is high, officials warn.

“The stories that we’re hearing over the last couple of days are frightening,” New Jersey Poison Control Center Director Dr. Steven Marcus told NJ.com. “People are just not thinking, and I’m afraid that the longer there is no power, the worse this could be.”

The storm boasted wind gusts of more than 50 mph and dropped heavy snow on already-weakened tree limbs, leading to the new outages. When combined with the residual outages left by Sandy, officials estimate some 700,000 are without power across the Northeast, according to utility providers in the region.

Experts say carbon monoxide poisonings tend to spike when an area loses electricity because people often put power generators in partially opened or closed garages or bring charcoal grills indoors. Carbon monoxide can also seep through slightly open windows.

Police blamed carbon monoxide for the death of James Stapleford, 75, and Eva Stapleford, 73, ofShokan, N.Y., who were using a generator to power their home in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, the New York Daily News reported. Police said the couple, who were discovered Monday, appeared to have been dead for two days.

In Newark, N.J., Mudiwa Benson and Kenya Barber, both 19, died last week, police said, from prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide because a generator was too close to their apartment home, NJ.com reported.

In Pennsylvania, four people died of carbon monoxide poisoning last week from generator fumes in separate incidents, the AP reported.

And in Edison Township, N.J., a 65-year-old man likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning after running his generator in his garage last Wednesday, police said.

When emergency medical services responded to his house, police said they found him "blue in color." The generator found in his closed garage had run out of gas, NJ.com reported.

Carbon monoxide is completely odorless and invisible. Symptoms of poisoning caused by the gas include nausea, headaches, dizziness and vomiting, which can escalate to unconsciousness and death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC advises placing generators at least 20 feet away from homes, since there’s not enough ventilation within garages and basements or near open windows to prevent fatal poisoning. Battery-powered alarms are also necessary to warn residents before carbon monoxide reaches dangerous levels.

Marcus said people shouldn’t hesitate if they think they have a carbon monoxide problem.

"They need to get out of the house," he said. "Don’t open the windows. Just get out of the house. Don’t waste any time and get medical help."

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, yes, generator safety should be a concern. Generators should never be run in a garage. I think the article failed to mention that more than likely these were attached garages.


2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,359
I think people who "camp" outdoors are probably more aware of this hazard than a homeowner without power who purchases a generator, and just takes it home and cranks it up.

A few years ago, during the height of the home foreclosures, here in Arizona we had a lot of people who had their electricity cut off. Some of them took their barbecues indoors to use for cooking and heating. Others used their ovens for heat. Local news frequently included stories about families sickened or killed by carbon monoxide poisoning and fires caused by storing gasoline next to gas hot water heaters.

One just wonders what these people were thinking...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.