Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Casey Anthony

NOT guilty? This must be a joke.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Only in Florida. . .

. . . and California
Old 07-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Southwest , New Hampshire
Maybe she's guilty......
Maybe she's not......

One thing I believe....that the day will come when the murderer will have to look into the eyes of God...and into the eyes of that beautiful child.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gee...... I didn't realize I was on the Jury.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
If she truely was guilty, the prosecution should be taken out and flogged. They did such a poor job that I would have had a hard time convicting her even though I think she did do it.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you ignored the legal pundits and general purpose pundits before the verdict, you might not be so surprised.

I tried to avoid this because there's more important news and things to do so far I am concerned, but from what I heard the prosecution did not present a clear and strong case. She looks guilty the way she was portrayed in the media, but being a party girl who does crazy things do not mean she did it. If it did, there are lots of crazy party people who would be convicted of something, and sometimes are. The evidence linking her to the crime was circumstantial or inferential. Inferential evidence is very weak evidence. Circumstantial may be good enough, but you usually need more, especially in a capital case.

They were too eager to put on a capital case, but with the evidence they had, that was very difficult. They overcharged and that tends to confuse the jury and make the prosecution look too eager to fry her. People like Nancy Grace decided she was guilty from the beginning, but she is an entertainer looking for ratings and very biased.

I thought they might compromise on manslaughter (old term, probably 2nd degree homicide now) or child abuse, but the link between her and the death was not good enough. It looks like the jury went over the elements of each crime in an orderly manner, going over each element of a crime, and did it fast. Doesn't happen that fast very often, but good jury leadership and keeping away from emotional outbursts can work well.

The defense story of how it happened sounded goofy, but it is a goofy family and goofy people do goofy things. Fear can make people do really dumb things, ignore reality and pretend to themselves everything is ok. Did she do it? I don't know. Goofy people is all I know. For what is worth, sometimes inexperienced lawyers win because the jury feels sympathy for the accused because the lawyer isn't doing a good job or the judge seems to be picking on the lawyer. The pundits said the lead counsel for the defense was inexperienced, but I didn't watch it. In a capital case the lawyers want to present everything, no matter how remotely important, and they are full of anxiety. There are stories of lawyers where someone's life is on the line throwing up before they go into court—there is nothing like a capital case for any lawyer, no matter how experienced.

Casey Anthony may get time served and go out and party again. She will be stigmatized for years; her parents have been stigmatized too. That will be a hard sentence, maybe not what any of them deserves. Highly publicized cases often result in decisions that seem insane, but the jury is bound to look at the facts presented and nothing else. They seem to have done that.

Gene
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Gene is right on!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Guilty or not, NO decent person would ever let their child be missing for more than 30 seconds, let alone 30 days, and not let somebody know about it! She's guilty of something.

And when have you ever heard of someone trying to cover up an accidental death by making it look like murder?

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
So...anyone on this string own an Airstream? (just thought that since it is the forums and all, it might be good to mention an Airstream at least once...)

Dang I love living in America. And so glad I was not on that jury. Had to be hard.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
The really hard thing to explain to someone from another country is how a person can be found innocent in Criminal court but guilty in Civil court, as O.J. Simpson was.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
NOT guilty? This must be a joke.
Great, now all of a sudden the "Backseat Jurors" are coming out of the woodwork. The criminal justice system has spoke, just give it a rest!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

Yes this is current news and it is in the "Off Topic Forum", but this is an emotionally charged subject that simply does not belong on AirForums.

This thread is closed.

On behalf of the site team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread