Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Carport for a 31 excella.

I searched all over the forums and could not find anything about carports.

I am going to have a company put me up an all metal carport for my AS.

My specs says my camper is 9ft. 7-1/2 inches tall to top of AC.

Has anyone built a carport for a similar model AS and if so how high should I be for it to glide right under with no chance of hitting my AC ?

I have marathon radials with no mods on wheels or tires.

I measured about 11 ft. for a little over 1 foot clearance.........one foot makes me a little nervous though.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I am finally getting to where I really like this thing........it scared a little since I got it last fall but it's warming up to me now I think.....

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Is there any chance you may want to jack the trailer up or work on the underside?

Is the driveway level? Any up or down angle may affect clearance needed.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ort-28161.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ort-44254.html

and there are at least a few more if you use the google search
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Unless it's going to look wrong because of the height, you should leave a good amount of clearance so you can lift the trailer, work on the AC, be prepared in case you get crazy and buy a 345 MoHo, etc. It's easy to add a foot or two now, very VERY hard to do it once the thing is built.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Here's something you might be interested in....

http://yuma.craigslist.org/rvs/1874209585.html
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Menard's sells RV metal carports here by order.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thank you all for all the great links and suggestions. This is REALLY helpful.

The gears are turning in my brain now.........slowly but turning.....

Please keep the ideas or suggestions coming.

So far I think 12 ft. is going to be how high it will need to be at the bottom of the gable.

This way it should fit on either side easily.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Unless it's going to look wrong because of the height, you should leave a good amount of clearance so you can lift the trailer, work on the AC, be prepared in case you get crazy and buy a 345 MoHo, etc. It's easy to add a foot or two now, very VERY hard to do it once the thing is built.
Double down on the advice from DKB_SATX.

The picture below is what I put up about 7 years ago. I built this shortly after purchasing the 345. The dimensions are 16' wide (12' between uprights) X 56' long X 16' high (14' clear). I left enough height just in case there would ever be a 13' 6" MoHo in my future. The extra height came in very handy when I changed out the front AC on the 345 several years ago. I think the extra height also keeps the temp down a bit at the ground level.

If I had to do it again there would be some shade walls added - either solid panels or fabric. The structure is oriented North/South and in the summer the afternoon sun on the curb side is a killer.

For whatever reason almost ALL of the "RV Ports" at Texas Airstream Harbor in Zavalla, Texas are about 12' wide X 34' long X 10' high. These dimensions are simply not large enough for adequate protection. I have found through obversation that there needs to be about 5' overhang on the front and back to properly protect the unit from blowing rain and to shade the unit from the worst rays of the sun. 12' width is not nearly enough to leave adequate working room on the road side and at the same time leave enough room on the curb side for opening the door and a couple of chairs. I believe the clear 14' width I used should be a minimum for comfort and ease of use. On the height - I would not consider anything less than 12' clear - and even that would require insulation under the metal to prevent the structure from acting like an oven.

Every time I sit under one of those small, low RV Ports at TAHI I can't help thinking of Elizabeth Taylor after she said "I feel all the time like a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" ... "What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? — I wish I knew . . . Just staying on it, I guess, as long as she can."

Check out my signature line - "Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote