Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
leaving your field for a 'break' will leave you behind a lot of competition in your field.

while doing what you love is nice, a higher paying salary lets you have a lot of freedom you won't have with a reduced income. save the reduced income jobs for when you get older.

sign up for nursing courses now unless it will keep you from getting retraining later.
while i have seen the nursing shortage shrink in some areas, you can apply what you learn almost anywhere. duties formerly done by nurses are now being farmed out to lesser positions.

i agree that the space program needs to and will come back. the extent of the return is yet to be seen. since many are leaving for different jobs, the return might be easier for those remaining.

i can see you combining your present experience with the nursing. robotic doctors are here! dual shingles can be a plus when shopping for work. the nursing can also be applied to the animal field.

those winters sound really cold!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
My ex wife went to Nursing School (I paid her tuition as part of the settlement) at 42. She entered a degree program and all of her humanities courses from her earlier college days transferred, it took her 21/2 years plus clinical to finish, she went right to work and a year later went on to get her masters and now is a cardiac nurse practitioner. Loves her job, loves her patients, loves the cardiologists she works for.She runs a small weekly clinic a 100 miles from the hospital (the practice flies her out) and she makes 100k plus a year and every time she goes to a seminar she gets job offers for more $$. Go for the nursing career. The ex is in her late 50's and plans to work forever because she loves her work! I wish she had been this happy when we were married!
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Follow your heart! Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Don't want to be a downer but although there may be a nursing shortage, many places aren't hiring new grads without experience. I would look closely at the hiring in the area you are planning to settle in. Call nurse recruiters at hospitals and see what they say. I have been an RN for 30+ years with excellent skills and experience and am currently looking for a different job within nursing-it's taking some time because places aren't hiring. I used to apply for a job and the recruiter would call and the second question after "Do you have a license?" would be "when can you start?" Things are different now.

I'm not saying don't do it, just proceed with caution and with your eyes wide open. And yes, the landscape could look very different in 2 years. Good luck.
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sounds like you have the right attitude and I think this will make sure that you land on your feet.

Our best couple friend (female) sold her florist business about 5 years ago and went back to school to get a nursing degree. She is now 50, employed, and trying to find out which opportunities are best for her.

I say follow your heart and do what you think will make you fulfilled. Trust me, it won't be the money. I used to make a lot more money than I do now, but I am much happier now because I like what I am doing. I could never go back. Anyhow, we all only have one life to live, so live it your way. If you try it and it does not work out, you can always go back, or try something else. When you are old and gray, you don't want to say "gee, I wish I had tried that". I for one have no regrets.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
I think the most telling part of your post is, "Over 40". Don't throw a rock at me but, you are not at an age to be messing around. The clock is ticking. The next 20 years will go by-by a lot faster than the last 20, and you have to be ready. Go to the ADN program. Now, not later. Assume that the ADN program rooster is already fixed for Jan'11, the next start date may be Sept '11. Thats darn near a year. Don't waste the time. In Jan you can register for Anatomy and Physiology, get these 2 out of the way by summer, as they are tough and best taken before you actually start the program. Hit the summer semester hard, with Biology and Micro. Be ready to start the program in the fall of 2011. If you don't start now, the whole point becomes moot, as you can waste a year in the blink of an eye. Job prospects for RN's: The big name hospitals may not be taking on a lot of newbee's but, there are bunches of nursing homes, dr's office, etc looking every day for anyone with RN behind their name. But thats only the start. At your age, you have to get on the fast track to building a retirement. Today, you may be jumping out of bed ready to kick butt all day long, but the day is soon coming, trust me, when this passes. Eyes, ears, knees, and gi track are all going to start showing their age. When they do, you need to have a program in place that gives you the luxury of enjoying life. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Laura, I've read your posts over and over and the one thing you wrote that has stuck with me is that you're "burned out". So do something else that interests you and is challenging. I have a friend that at 53 went to nursing school (was in finance for 20+yrs) and loves it! She did take a sabatical from Wuesthoff in Melbourne to take a travelling nurse job in Seattle, found she loved Seattle and now lives there. ALso, you can consider a travelling nurse job anywhere you want to go. My hubby took the early layoff (retirement) from KSC last Oct. He loves retirement! Its scary to make life altering decisions like the one you're about to make, but you'll be fine. Listen to your heart. Feel like getting together? We're not to far...PM me!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I worked on a NASA contract for 6 years with RCA (best job I ever had) I was in management and when the contract was up I was in the same situation and decided to go back in the field as a customer engineer I had no way of knowing but it turned out to be a great decision you just can't see the future so best of luck whatever you decide.

I met a fellow camper who's wife was a traveling nurse they lived in a 5th wheel and loved it. She had been there (Oklahoma) 6 months and they were heading to New Orleans in 2 weeks for on a new assignment. For me that sounded like a great way to live.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
As a former Floridian, I am very glad to be out of South Florida. However the Space Coast is still not overrun, so as others say, check out the areas you are considering to move to. Wyoming can have brutal winters. But I would have to say the wide open West has many positives over the encroaching population of Florida.

They are building a new spaceport in New Mexico and Albuquerque has opportunities for high tech jobs for someone with your experience.

Also check out travel nursing if that is where you want to go. You can do 13 week stints in various locations depending upon demand. Fastaff in Denver is a good company that I used to do work for...
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
But I would have to say the wide open West has many positives over the encroaching population of Florida.
I guess I was pretty hard on Wyoming. My point was that it is very different than Florida, but if i had to choose between them, I'd pick Wyoming every time. My parents lived in the Dade Co. area for 25 years and I couldn't stand the place. My mother lived in Clearwater for 5 years and although it was easier to take than Dade Co., it wasn't what I liked either. We do like the Keys. But everyone is different and an abrupt change in location can be unsettling.

My mother was a nurse in the 1930's. She quit when she married as women did in those days, but before that, she worked as a private nurse and in hospitals. From what she told me and what I have heard from others, as a generalization, nursing means contact with people all the time—patients, doctors, administrators, lab people (my wife was one of those)—and if you are good with people and at communicating well, that's very important to being good at nursing. It also requires a lot of patience. Patients are vulnerable and certainly not at their best and doctors can be obnoxious. Again, as a general thing, engineers have a reputation of being good with engineering and numbers, but not so good with people and communicating. These are all generalizations, and I only point them out to suggest that it's important to know your strengths and limitations when considering changing fields.

I think it is great you are looking at big changes, willing to listen to others, and are a risk taker. You have to be now. Few people do the same thing for the same employer for a lifetime now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just a quick plug for Arizona, we've got a lot of senior residents and hospitals/care facilities; and mild winters would make living in your Airstream a possibility, if you wanted to do that. Also, there are several high-tech aerospace, military and commercial electronics manufacturing facilities here if you decide to stay in your current career field.

Phoenix and Tucson are relative large cities with most cultural activities (symphony, opera, theater and concerts) and professional sports (football, basketball, hockey, NASCAR, etc.). We enjoy city/suburban living with lots of outdoor activites.

The only drawback is the hot summer weather, though you get used to it. Besides, that's what the Airstream is for. In the summer, the mountains and lakes are only a few hours drive away.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Another plug for nursing... I'm a peds ICU RN and love it! That said, nursing can be physical work in the general med/surg field. While I do think there's a bit of a glut of nurses right now, it's only seems to be in certain specialized fields. I'll also advocate going for a BSN degree vs. an ADN degree. I know A LOT of very talented ADN nurses, but hospitals don't seem to notice you for a specialized program unless you have a BSN attached. Usually it's only a year or so more of school, but it does open a lot of doors that may not open with the ADN.

Travel nursing is an option, but I really suggest you get at LEAST a year under your belt before you travel.

How bout you look even further West to Seattle? Boeing or other aviation fields may have what you're looking for in the engineering arena. Another thought is to take your medical interest and go into Bio-medical engineering....

Financially, if you could swing it, it may be nice to take a year off and see what's available or calling to you. Yes 20 yrs is "short", but really, you have the rest of your life to work. Might as well do something you enjoy.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I second the comment from Mojo..there are a LOT of new possibilities in space travel between Virgin's efforts and many others. Space exploration is not dead it is just moving into the private sector where it will thrive! Someone with your background may be invaluable to these companies as they get going, so don't give up your career, just rethink it! In the very near future, NASA will not be the only game in town!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I wouldn't sweat the 40+ thing. I was 52 when I quit a high paying corporate job as an electrical engineer. There are a lot of pluses to the SIMPLE LIFE. I would make a list of what the most important items are; ie cell phone, satellite, shopping, dining etc. As for movies and the like, we have satellite TV and see most of the new movies once they are out on DVD, the Dish Networks make them available and they're $5.00. It's a $40 bill when two go to the movies in Denver. Contrary to popular belief we do have movie theaters here. There is a twin just 8 miles from us. It costs between $5.00 and $7.50 to see a movie, with popcorn and such it's about $20.00 for two.
The words traffic jam are not in our vocabulary or rush hour for that matter.
We've lived here 14 years relocating from the mountains of Colorado and have no regrets.
If we had unlimited funds and could afford to live in Colorado, I would make another change at this point in my life (65+) without hesitation. But it is too expensive these days.
I say "Take the leap and enjoy the journey"
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Join the many other Floridians who have moved to Texas, the land of opportunity.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Greetings from a fellow McET, we're a somewhat misunderstood bunch, aren't we?

Right after I turned 43, I took a year and a half off from the high tech world (working for GE Aerospace in Daytona Beach) and moved back to my home town in Montana to start a flying school...best year and a half ever. Got a call from some former colleagues in SLC who made me an offer i couldn't turn down...that ended that dream but I had zero regrets.

The time away didn't seem to affect my marketability back then so follow your gut and do what you need to do.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Gee Wiz --- you all have offered me so many considerations! I have been reading along but haven't had adequate time to reply in kind. A few developments at work and personal that have distracted me for a few days. Today I heading north for a few days - started out by me-self & pup in the Silver Olive and now have 6! Time to pull out the sleeping bags.

I am still awaiting a call from WY. No news is good news? Again, thanks for giving me you take on things - it does help!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Well, here I am again - re-reading all of your posts.... Why? Because I'm still *stumped*.

I received my layoff notice a couple weeks ago - July 29. Ouch. Since last year I've had about half-a-dozen interviews for engineering related opportunities. Only one has resulted in an offer (Rockford IL) but was in a discipline in which I am uncomfortable, Electrical Engineering. Additionally, timing was bad, contract was still in development, and project didn't stimulate my interest (maybe it was due to all the unknowns too). I have applied for some other engineering/project management positions that look interesting but haven't had any response thus far...

Nursing is still way back on the burners. I am just not excited about the outlook - and absolutely have no interest in working in skilled facilities, physician office, et. al. I may be interested in nursing for the wrong reasons. But, I am prepared to re-apply and possibly apply to PA school. I spent a couple years getting all the requirements, so I should at least apply, right?

And, I've continued to *covet* the Ranch type jobs. I have keep in contact with the animal rehab ranch in WY and they may have another position open soon. Ahhhh. What to do, what to do. Here is their website Kindness Ranch in case anyone has further comments for me to consider!!! I have been warned that it is extremely remote and with varied temperatures. They provide housing (a permanent yurt, no less).

So, I'm still/again soliciting input, thoughts, jokes, job offers, etc.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #39
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Interested in a good fiction writers views re; Wyoming vs. the Southeastern US? Tim Sandlin's novels kept me entertained for awhile about Wyoming life. Try "Spare Parts" or "Rowdy in Paris" or "Western Swing".

It's kinda like Tim Dorsey mixed with James Lee Burke.