Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Carbon Fiber Travel Trailer

I though this might be interesting to some of you out there. I'm going to watch and see how it progresses.

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GCT_News Release_12-11-13_V1.2.pdf (242.7 KB, 338 views)
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Wayward's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 803
It looks interesting. I hope they shake things up.

We primarily see our Airstream as the ideal way to travel - so I really like their approach of "Luxury Travel".

I did get a chuckle out of this in one of their press releases:

"CR/CR5 pricing is expected to start from around $160,000MSRP to over $500,000MSRP for custom models. Fuel economy in tow will improve by as much as 100 percent, and much of the product is recyclable"

I'm living the capitalist dream and got me an ultra cool, over the top, half million dollar, fossil fuel digesting RV! But wait! I really am green. Its recyclable.
__________________

__________________
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB International
Carrboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
These are the same people that made Earthbound RV. The company went bankrupt; left many bills unpaid and several people stuck with a bad product.
__________________
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
These are the same people that made Earthbound RV. The company went bankrupt; left many bills unpaid and several people stuck with a bad product.
I'm curious how you know this. I can not find any of the same names mentioned.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
Snaken49's Avatar
 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 133
This an interesting article about EarthBound RV

Assets of Earthbound RV to be sold at auction (Photos) - National RVing | Examiner.com


It says their assets were sold at auction on Jan. 15, 2014 for defaulting on a $2M loan, interest payments. The designs look very similar.
__________________
Old Cobra AH-1G Pilot

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Similar shapes don't make it the same people. I would be interested in a real connection between the two, if there is one. According to what I read, the principles in earthbound even had their homes confiscated. I imagine it would be a little difficult to find someone to financially back them again.

So unless someone can show a connection, could we just discuss the trailer, or the concept of carbon fiber trailers.

If we continue to pursue a connection, and one does not exist, I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing that is libel.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB International
Carrboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
This comes straight from www.rvbusiness.com; same CEO - Charles Hoefer.

"Hoefer’s last job was CEO of Earthbound RV in Marion. His father moved the company there in 2010 after starting it a year earlier near Elkhart. The city backed a $2 million bank loan to lure the business.
But the company failed and officially shut down in January. The city had to pay off almost all the debt."



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Similar shapes don't make it the same people. I would be interested in a real connection between the two, if there is one. According to what I read, the principles in earthbound even had their homes confiscated. I imagine it would be a little difficult to find someone to financially back them again. So unless someone can show a connection, could we just discuss the trailer, or the concept of carbon fiber trailers. If we continue to pursue a connection, and one does not exist, I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing that is libel. Ken
__________________
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
This comes straight from www.rvbusiness.com; same CEO - Charles Hoefer.

"Hoefer’s last job was CEO of Earthbound RV in Marion. His father moved the company there in 2010 after starting it a year earlier near Elkhart. The city backed a $2 million bank loan to lure the business.
But the company failed and officially shut down in January. The city had to pay off almost all the debt."
Ok, here is the link to the full article.

Charles Hoefer Seeking Fresh Slate With Startup | RV Business


Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB International
Carrboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
At the end they tried the same strategy with Earthbound; introducing $150000+ travel trailers. The way it went down with Earthbound, I would advise everyone to stay away from the Hoefers. ;-)
__________________
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
The whole article from RV business is an interesting read. It sounds like at least eventually the intended market is going to be China. Whoever thought we would hear about companies being started in the US to build stuff for the rich people in China.

"A lot of the global strategy that Ding will oversee hinges on Global Caravan’s ability to tap markets that don’t exist today.
China will be key because of its aging population and growing wealth, Ding said.
The Chinese “have plenty of money in their hands at their disposal,” he said. “But they also have plenty of time. The lifestyle in China is rapidly changing."


Ken

Maybe someday there will be a guy named "Wing Byng" leading Chinese "Global Caravan" caravans across the US observing the local peasant's life style.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
"The debut product, dubbed the CR-1, would also be the first to use carbon fiber rather than something more common such as aluminum. A lighter weight is supposed to cut fuel consumption in half.
Among other luxuries: master bathrooms with oversized showers, full-height closets, and washers and dryers. Hoefer compared the interiors to the inside of a luxury yacht."


Yea, right. Lets use carbon fiber and then put in washers and dryers. That will sure save weight! Cut fuel consumption in half? Vapor ware. You can say or claim anything, but the aerodynamics of any trailer, including Airstreams, does much to determine fuel efficiency.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Does anyone know approximately what the increase in cost is to fabricate something out of carbon fiber rather than aluminum?

Is carbon fiber laid in molds like fiberglass?

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Does anyone know approximately what the increase in cost is to fabricate something out of carbon fiber rather than aluminum?

Is carbon fiber laid in molds like fiberglass?

Ken
Production of carbon fibre has been very expensive. BMW is trying to change that with their i3, in testing now. Here is one article comparing cost of manufacturing for steel, aluminum, and carbon fibre in vehicle applications:

BMW Makes Lone Shift to Carbon Fiber to Gain Auto Edge - Bloomberg
__________________
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Production of carbon fibre has been very expensive. BMW is trying to change that with their i3, in testing now. Here is one article comparing cost of manufacturing for steel, aluminum, and carbon fibre in vehicle applications:

BMW Makes Lone Shift to Carbon Fiber to Gain Auto Edge - Bloomberg
Very educational article.


Thanks,

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIRSTREAM Travel Trailer 1962 Globe Trotter Airstream Travel Trailer 19 feet eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 12-21-2011 05:00 PM
Did you ever want a travel trailer that floats? DKB_SATX Off Topic Forum 5 09-29-2011 07:28 PM
Airstream, vintage trailer, travel trailer, airstream, towable camper, retro eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 09-14-2011 09:30 AM
Air stream 27 land yacht travel trailer rv sair stream 27 land yacht travel trailer r eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 08-15-2011 07:20 AM
Air stream 27 land yacht travel trailer rv sair stream 27 land yacht travel trailer r eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 08-06-2011 11:10 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.