Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Carbon fiber is expensive to use and fabricate from. You have to cure the resin for it in ovens, typically in a vacuum bag, and those that do it typically accept and expect some rework associated with it. So some good ol' boys who went bust before aren't likely going to have a great deal of success coming out of the blocks unless they have a lot of money to pay some world class manufacturers to make the panels for them.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would be curious....but I think using carbon fiber would constitute massive cost increases.....I wonder how much of "usual materials" they will displace with carbon fiber...

The mere cost of carbon fiber construction would seemingly make this significantly spendy even compared to new airstream...possibly by large margins depending on the model/length.

How do you get 100% savings in fuel economy in tow? with trucks and suv's, you would need to first establish that pulling a standard trailer, say an airstream, of the same length would drop fuel consumption by at least half...then what, if you swap out for this CF type you get all of it back as if there is no trailer there? Seems odd to establish that a trailer could improve fuel efficiency by 100%....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I would be curious........

How do you get 100% savings in fuel economy in tow? with trucks and suv's, you would need to first establish that pulling a standard trailer, say an airstream, of the same length would drop fuel consumption by at least half...then what, if you swap out for this CF type you get all of it back as if there is no trailer there? Seems odd to establish that a trailer could improve fuel efficiency by 100%....
Ellery,
Appears they are full of propaganda and hype. I sincerely hope some small community doesn't fall for it again and put up a bunch of economic development money like Marion, Ohio did on the previous venture hoping for jobs and prosperity! It is often quite sad how some small towns or a community start to fall all over themselves and compete for companies like that without the appropriate due diligence or safeguards in place. It is an indicator of the poor economic times we are in.

But oh wait, our government says we are growing jobs and all is well. I forgot!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I've worked with both Aluminum and Carbon Fiber in the aviation industry. The strength to weigh ratio of carbon over alum is incredible, thats the biggest advantage. Aluminum IMHO wins hands down in fabrication and repairability. The costs alone of the heat activated prepregs with short shelf lifes would send me running away, if some of you think aluminum is difficult to work with and repair, then you are in for some big surprises with the Carbon Fiber
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I only know a little with CF as it relates to camera tripods...

Those CF tripods are quite a bit lighter and they are quite strong...really impressive stuff.

but then there is the price...160 bucks for a decent quality manfrotto aluminum tripod...same one in carbon fiber is over double the price as I recall....and that would seemingly be even more simple as compared to using it to make a trailer...

When you scratch the finish or damage a panel...I can presume it will end up being even more costly than replacing an aluminum panel $$$$$

I suppose it *could* be that they are going for a smaller wealthier subset of the market....lol

Having said all that, I try and keep an open mind....but I am a skeptic.

My wife and I looked close at those earthbound ones at one point...was the one called an "element"...kind of a cool design...company fizzled out....I was on that forum (yahoo group) for a short while following some of the comments..

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I don't know much about CF other than on some vehicles I own and that is they have to be protected from UV and if exposed to UV the clear coat used to protect CF from UV rays is astronomical. CF can be painted and if not exposed should do well in sunlight. At this point I believe CF is more of a material for the future as it becomes more readily used in vehicles. I would have no idea how CF is repaired whenever there is damage as there would most assuredly would be.