Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Car hauler conversion

Has anyone ever seen an Airstream converted to be a enclosed car(small) hauler? I have started racing Miatas and would like a unique hauler.

What's the distance between wheel tubs?

Marlboro Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
The Airstream frame is too light.....forget it and move on.
Your only chance would be to use a shell on a much more sturdy frame.
Good luck.

TAC # TX-18

AIR # 410
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I looked at this for hauling an early corvette. Was thinking to cut along the back cap parting line and have that swing up. After much measuring and playing around decided the only way to do this was to take an old AS body and drop it on an already built open car trailer to get a decent enough platform for the car, parts, tools, etc. The amount of time involved would have been far more than I have life left given my other projects on the go and the fact that I want to use some of that time for enjoyment of my exiting stuff. Sure would be neat though. If you do this, I want pictures. Who knows, I may live longer than I expect.....
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I've heard of someone doing this with a larger canned ham, I think perhaps a Boles trailer (which presented fewer structural problems). It probably can be done, but you'd probably have to replace (or at least significantly reinforce) the trailer frame, meaning that you'd need to take the whole shell off. Then you'd probably have to rebuild the shell wherever you end up cutting it to get it to flip up. Edges would have to be reinforced, finished and hinged. Since many vintage units are pretty narrow, you probably will also need to widen the whole shebang. Sounds like a ton of effort, figure on it costing several times what you would pay to get a brand new car trailer (which really aren't all that pricey).

Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
I was at the Monterey Historic Races last month and saw where someone did an IMPRESSIVE job of converting a 1970 Overland into a race car hauler. Modifications included reworking the wheel wells, reinforcing the frame, and converting the rear of the trailer to a hatchback (quite impressive craftsmanship). They left the vinyl walls intact from mid-span up (what would be countertop level), and they incorporated a gaucho in the front. The unit was fully carpeted as well. It was AWESOME!!! They had full AC plus an integrated stereo system. I could have spent hours lounging there. Also, according to the owners, the trailer will be featured in a future issue of Airstream life.

Happy Airstreaming

toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Rivet Vehicle hauler

Well, here is the grand DYNOJET

Someone seriously wants something like this, give me the coach, the spec's of what you want to haul, and the cash & I will build you one.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Originally Posted by toddster
Also, according to the owners, the trailer will be featured in a future issue of Airstream life.
That is true. It's an impressive job and very well engineered -- worth publicizing.
Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
1972 27' Overlander
phx , Arizona
airstream car hauler

hi folks, i'm the guy that built the 72 airstream car hauler. many trouble free miles since completion. and yes, it is the one seen at vintage races across the country with our 58 corvette. details are given in airstream life magazine a few years ago. scott

clockguy is offline   Reply With Quote